Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

This forum is terrible and unwelcoming

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> This forum is terrible and unwelcoming Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
This forum is terrible and unwelcoming - 9/8/2016 12:50:43 AM   
Timotheus

First, the design of the forum. First page is dominated by stickies, 95% of which are useless to both newbies and veterans.

Second, the top stickies should be resources to help newbies and intermediate (and vets too - lets not kid ourselves, even someone who played this for years still looks stuff up).

This is what should be stickied, on top:
jonboym Useful Info for Beginners
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2576157

Sardaukar's Newbie Tutorial AAR for Newbies
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2564541

Video tutorials for WITPAE by someone
https://sites.google.com/site/n01487477/Home

I do not see the need for any other stickies in the forum at all, unless I have missed another great tutorial for this game - in that case, sticky that also. And delete everything else - it's useless trash!

Note that the video tutorials from the last link were done on a computer system and windows version which existed before the Russo-Japanese war. In some videos he is broadcasting from the moon using 1960's technology, in others he is obviously in an underwater base in the Pacific hooking up through a 1970's ex-Soviet communication satellite to broadcast his voice.

What I am saying is that the quality of the voice(not the content!) is so bad that I can barely understand every other word he speaks!

The resolution of the (swf.... and other, weird types from 1980's files) videos is so bad that it is hard to read the actual words/base names on the maps!

After roughly a minute of a tutorial video, an air raid siren comes on and totally obliterates the gentleman's voice in every single video (either it's a Japanese air raid on Oz or a 1980's PC super-fan kicks in to cool the Sinclair Spectrum personal computer).
So after a minute, I cannot understand a single word that the tutorial mentor is saying...

As a parting shot across the bow, the impression I got in the forum is that it is made up of old guys, who have learned this game through years of effort and now want all the newbies to go through the same painful process they did, with as little help given as possible. "Why, I have walked to school uphill, in the snow, barefoot, in Alaska, and to learn WITPAE I had to type the manual on my typewriter myself!".

They feel like its an elite club and no new "scrubs" are welcome in it.

Trouble is, this is the worst thing that can happen to an entertainment product (computer game) from a business/marketing perspective.

That's it for my thoughts on the matrix WITPAE forum.

< Message edited by Timotheus -- 9/8/2016 12:53:50 AM >

NEWBIE GUIDE Distant Worlds Universe
http://tinyurl.com/k3frrle

War in the Pacific Poradnik po Polsku
http://tinyurl.com/nxd4cesh

INSTALL WITPAE on modern PC
https://tinyurl.com/l5kr6rl
Post #: 1
RE: This forum is terrible and unwelcoming - 9/8/2016 1:09:03 AM   
btd64

Thing one, the sticky thing is being addressed.

Thing two, Yes, some people hear are cranky, Full of knowledge but cranky. And yes, many are older. BUT you can learn A LOT about the history of the Pacific War, and learn the game at the same time. I started with War Plan orange and ended up with AE 7 years ago. They are a ton of threads that discuss 99% of the questions that come up. But, just like in school many years ago, if you ask a question, ask it with the right pieces of available info. A picture is worth a thousand words, so post a screen shot if possible, which is the case 98% of the time. I for one will answer questions when I know the answer, or I will look it up and post that way. I even envite you or anyone to PM or email me with a question, mod idea, or artwork, etc. But you do need a Ducks Back sometimes. I do agree with you about the Business side of things....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to Timotheus)
Post #: 2
RE: This forum is terrible and unwelcoming - 9/8/2016 1:09:43 AM   
BBfanboy

Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but to convince others it would be good if you could present your credentials that qualify you to make such harsh judgements. Not trying to provoke arguments here, just would like to know what you have seen that I have not. For example, is there an "ideal forum" that you can point to as an example of what you mean?

For my own part, remembering back to when I got the game and was trying to learn it while busy with work and RL, I did not want a hugely detailed tutorial of what others are doing - I needed to learn by doing!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Timotheus)
Post #: 3
RE: This forum is terrible and unwelcoming - 9/8/2016 1:33:20 AM   
btd64

Learn by doing, YES. Or maybe Learning by doing.....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 4
RE: This forum is terrible and unwelcoming - 9/8/2016 1:42:02 AM   
scout1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timotheus

First, the design of the forum. First page is dominated by stickies, 95% of which are useless to both newbies and veterans.

Second, the top stickies should be resources to help newbies and intermediate (and vets too - lets not kid ourselves, even someone who played this for years still looks stuff up).

This is what should be stickied, on top:
jonboym Useful Info for Beginners
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2576157

Sardaukar's Newbie Tutorial AAR for Newbies
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2564541

Video tutorials for WITPAE by someone
https://sites.google.com/site/n01487477/Home

I do not see the need for any other stickies in the forum at all, unless I have missed another great tutorial for this game - in that case, sticky that also. And delete everything else - it's useless trash!

Note that the video tutorials from the last link were done on a computer system and windows version which existed before the Russo-Japanese war. In some videos he is broadcasting from the moon using 1960's technology, in others he is obviously in an underwater base in the Pacific hooking up through a 1970's ex-Soviet communication satellite to broadcast his voice.

What I am saying is that the quality of the voice(not the content!) is so bad that I can barely understand every other word he speaks!

The resolution of the (swf.... and other, weird types from 1980's files) videos is so bad that it is hard to read the actual words/base names on the maps!

After roughly a minute of a tutorial video, an air raid siren comes on and totally obliterates the gentleman's voice in every single video (either it's a Japanese air raid on Oz or a 1980's PC super-fan kicks in to cool the Sinclair Spectrum personal computer).
So after a minute, I cannot understand a single word that the tutorial mentor is saying...

As a parting shot across the bow, the impression I got in the forum is that it is made up of old guys, who have learned this game through years of effort and now want all the newbies to go through the same painful process they did, with as little help given as possible. "Why, I have walked to school uphill, in the snow, barefoot, in Alaska, and to learn WITPAE I had to type the manual on my typewriter myself!".

Trouble is, this is the worst thing that can happen to an entertainment product (computer game) from a business/marketing perspective.

That's it for my thoughts on the matrix WITPAE forum.

wow ..... to come into a forum with this much attitude .... Dude, chill .. have a drink and don't dismiss your elders (my presumption here) ..... they may have some insight worth learning ... If you don't think so, fine ..... move along. but see no reason to dump into the punch bowl because your shorts are creeping up .....

(in reply to Timotheus)
Post #: 5
RE: This forum is terrible and unwelcoming - 9/8/2016 1:48:43 AM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but to convince others it would be good if you could present your credentials that qualify you to make such harsh judgements. Not trying to provoke arguments here, just would like to know what you have seen that I have not. For example, is there an "ideal forum" that you can point to as an example of what you mean?

For my own part, remembering back to when I got the game and was trying to learn it while busy with work and RL, I did not want a hugely detailed tutorial of what others are doing - I needed to learn by doing!

You are being way too reasonable. Considering that he wrote this:
quote:

As a parting shot across the bow, the impression I got in the forum is that it is made up of old guys, who have learned this game through years of effort and now want all the newbies to go through the same painful process they did, with as little help given as possible.

With all the help so many people here give new people over and over and over again, it's hard to imagine anything that would fall within his effort budget and still get him up to speed.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 6
RE: This forum is terrible and unwelcoming - 9/8/2016 2:01:40 AM   
geofflambert

There are a lot of us old guys here, but I resent the accusation that we've learned the game. I would say that finally, someone has arrived who is like a breath of fresh air. Now, after all this time pansies will bloom and bluebirds will sing. Where have you been all our lives?

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 7
RE: This forum is terrible and unwelcoming - 9/8/2016 2:17:56 AM   
scout1

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

There are a lot of us old guys here, but I resent the accusation that we've learned the game. I would say that finally, someone has arrived who is like a breath of fresh air. Now, after all this time pansies will bloom and bluebirds will sing. Where have you been all our lives?

you have pansies and bluebirds in your shorts ?

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 8
RE: This forum is terrible and unwelcoming - 9/8/2016 2:28:10 AM   
Lokasenna

quote:

As a parting shot across the bow, the impression I got in the forum is that it is made up of old guys, who have learned this game through years of effort and now want all the newbies to go through the same painful process they did, with as little help given as possible.

Or you could just ask politely.

FWIW, I think the old guys are not so elite .

(in reply to Timotheus)
Post #: 9
RE: This forum is terrible and unwelcoming - 9/8/2016 2:53:03 AM   
rogueusmc

wow...

I monitor stuff via the email notifications and still pop in from time to time but real life has kept me from being too active the last few years but...wow.

this Timotheus needs a chill pill...what kind of name is that for a girl anyway?

There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 10
RE: This forum is terrible and unwelcoming - 9/8/2016 3:09:23 AM   
Anachro

I agree that the forum itself is archaic, but I don't think most who post here can be accused of being stubbornly unhelpful. In fact, I have only encountered a strange perseverance in dealing with noobs like me.

(in reply to rogueusmc)
Post #: 11
RE: This forum is terrible and unwelcoming - 9/8/2016 3:09:36 AM   
geofflambert

New scrubs do fine here. That's part of the reason this game is so popular. And, incidentally, they don't know what to do with you.

This was directed at Timotheus of course.

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 9/8/2016 3:13:14 AM >

(in reply to rogueusmc)
Post #: 12
RE: This forum is terrible and unwelcoming - 9/8/2016 3:16:42 AM   
Canoerebel

Earlier today (I'm not making this up), I was contemplating a post about this forum. I wish I had now.

I have been part of many forums over the years; forums that you would think would be made up of the nicest people in the world: hikers, canoers, kayakers, botanists, bird watchers, historians, etc. In nearly every instance, I have been surprised by how snarky the people can be - argumentative, mean spirited, cranky, opinionated, etc.

Contrast that to this forum, which I've been a part of since 2002 (counting UV days). The forum is overwhelmingly gracious, friendly, helpful, knowledgeable and friendly. And friendly. I am frequently amazed at how the forum self-regulates, avoiding politics or other controversial topics; bending over backwards to avoid giving offense; being gracious in victory or humble in defeat; teaching and re-teaching even when topics have been handled a zillion times.

On very rare occasions, somebody gets ill about something, but usually those people self-report and apologize.

This is the best game I've ever played; it's the best forum I've ever been associated with. If I have a question about anything historical, political, travel-related, economics, educational, etc. etc. etc., I could post a question here (or via PM) and get the most interesting and informative information from people I've known and trusted for years. I know they are credible. I know I can trust them. And if I took a trip to nearly any point on the globe and encountered a problem, I could probably find a thread-friend that would do anything to help.

To see a snarky opinion from a newbie that just walks into a room firing a shotgun is pretty surprising. I suspect that he looked into a mirror, saw a reflection, and thought it was somebody else staring back at him.

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 13
RE: This forum is terrible and unwelcoming - 9/8/2016 3:26:17 AM   
Korvar

Speaking as a (relatively) young guy as well as a relatively new member of the forum...

You have a good point about the format of the forum; in fact, many of the members here agree with you as shown in this current thread:
Can We Reduce the Number of Stickies?

As for the rest of your argument? To be frank, it falls a bit flat for a few reasons:

1) It's always a good idea to have a mindset of reciprocity, of give and take. When you ask a question, maybe come with a citation from the manual, or lay out your current understanding. Try to show a little due diligence and that you are not simply looking to be held by the hand for every little thing - as much guidance as anyone can give you, this game WILL exact its price in blood, sweat, and tears in any pursuit to (try to) master it. Sometimes the 'give' is nothing more than to bring a little humility and say, "Hey, I'm completely lost with 'X' - can someone please explain it to me?" Then you'll have opportunities to show due diligence in follow up questions. A little gratitude goes a long way.

That said, it immediately struck me that you didn't read much of the forum - otherwise you would have seen the current stickies thread and perhaps put the first part of your point there. Not the best platform from which to yell, "You all suck!".

2) You can find examples of less than friendly people anywhere on the internet. Read YouTube comments if you doubt this - there's a lot of crap even there to sort through in order to find the 'gems'. You'll find examples here too, but consider that given what you wrote, you're getting a lot of considered responses in this thread and are not being told to simply take a hike. That says something about the forum too.

3) If you want to put a military analogy on it - pretend you are a newly minted Lieutenant or Ensign (or appropriate 'entry-level' officer rank here). You're going to have a lot of senior NCOs with decades of experience that you technically outrank and can technically order around. Although the Colonel's approval (signature) is needed for a lot of stuff, it is actually the Chief that gets **** done. The Chief might not be a friendly guy; he's probably seen some stuff and it a bit rough around the edges. But a wise officer will look at the Chief as an opportunity to learn, even if it takes a little diplomacy and patience. The oblivious officer says to himself, "Oh, look - another minion I can crap on!" - then he wonders why nothing gets done.

So a lot of this is what perspective you decide to take and how you approach the situation. Ok, so there's a bunch of gruffy old guys here who hold all the keys to the game? Hey, maybe they have computer troubles! Or, maybe they need art for that ship they know every last detail of. Even another reliable member of the PBEM community would surely be welcomed.

It's really all up to you.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 14
RE: This forum is terrible and unwelcoming - 9/8/2016 3:28:53 AM   
PaxMondo

Ah, the value of the green button ... bliss ...

Pax

(in reply to Korvar)
Post #: 15
RE: This forum is terrible and unwelcoming - 9/8/2016 3:35:03 AM   
geofflambert

Well, I'm all gruffy and I don't know why.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 16
RE: This forum is terrible and unwelcoming - 9/8/2016 3:40:01 AM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: scout1

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

you have pansies and bluebirds in your shorts ?

I have things in my shorts I cannot speak about. Suffice it to say I would have to eliminate you if you discovered any of them.

(in reply to scout1)
Post #: 17
RE: This forum is terrible and unwelcoming - 9/8/2016 3:50:41 AM   
reg113

GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!

"Life's a b***h, then you die."

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 18
RE: This forum is terrible and unwelcoming - 9/8/2016 3:51:04 AM   
TOMLABEL

quote:

ORIGINAL: rogueusmc

Rogue!!! Glad to know the weeds haven't grown up!

TOMLABEL

Art by the Rogue-USMC

WITP Admiral's Edition: Ship & Sub Art/Base Unit Art/Map Icon Art

"If destruction be our lot - it will come from within"...Abraham Lincoln

(in reply to rogueusmc)
Post #: 19
RE: This forum is terrible and unwelcoming - 9/8/2016 3:52:53 AM   
TOMLABEL

quote:

First,

Just look at the flowers, Timmy. Look at the flowers.... Just look at the flowers.....

TOMLABEL

< Message edited by TOMLABEL -- 9/8/2016 4:06:19 AM >

Art by the Rogue-USMC

(in reply to Timotheus)
Post #: 20
RE: This forum is terrible and unwelcoming - 9/8/2016 4:12:11 AM   
rogueusmc

quote:

ORIGINAL: TOMLABEL

quote:

First,

Just look at the flowers, Timmy. Look at the flowers.... Just look at the flowers.....

TOMLABEL

yeah, the flowers...it takes crap to grow flowers...lol.

How ya been brother?

There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

(in reply to TOMLABEL)
Post #: 21
RE: This forum is terrible and unwelcoming - 9/8/2016 4:23:56 AM   
jamesjohns

Well, I have found many on the forum to be helpful and willing to provide advice to a new player. I started a few years ago and posted some questions and found the replies to be helpful and friendly.

Yes, some people are cranky and can be a bit rude, but show me an internet forum where you don't have that? This board is far better than most.

Yes sometimes frustrations may flare but most of them are out of enjoyment of the game. Maybe you 100% believe the P-39 is better than the P-40, but on this board the answers for and against are usually backed by some brains, knowledge and great links.

this is one of the best forums I've been on and 98% of the posts and users make it that way.

(in reply to Timotheus)
Post #: 22
RE: This forum is terrible and unwelcoming - 9/8/2016 4:37:15 AM   
TOMLABEL

quote:

ORIGINAL: rogueusmc
How ya been brother?

You know it bro - just trying to keep.
Glad to know you still beating bushes! Wish we both had more time here - it would be fun!

Love the quote!

TOMLABEL

Art by the Rogue-USMC

(in reply to rogueusmc)
Post #: 23
RE: This forum is terrible and unwelcoming - 9/8/2016 4:54:00 AM   
Ormbane

The question of what makes or keeps a forum friendly is interesting. It seems, however, that no matter how friendly and welcoming a forum is in our modern world sooner or later trolls happen. I recently read a synopsis of one study that was done on the nature of trolls. Some people were identified and interviewed that frequently troll forums, and their "real lives" were examined as well. Unfortunately the synopsis didn't go into what psychological factors may or may not have led people to become trolls, but the synopsis reported that the study concluded that trolls, in general, are "losers" (their word, not mine) in real life. So, given that trolls happen, the common folk wisdom that has grown up is simply, "don't feed the trolls" in order to keep a discussion on track and friendly, whereas the purpose of trolls is normally to get things off track and argumentative (or worse).

That said, I personally enjoy this forum and treasure the straight, matter-of-fact input from people like Geofflambert and the gentle, patient but precise responses from people like Alfred

(in reply to TOMLABEL)
Post #: 24
RE: This forum is terrible and unwelcoming - 9/8/2016 5:00:48 AM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: jamesjohns

Well, I have found many on the forum to be helpful and willing to provide advice to a new player. I started a few years ago and posted some questions and found the replies to be helpful and friendly.

Yes, some people are cranky and can be a bit rude, but show me an internet forum where you don't have that? This board is far better than most.

Yes sometimes frustrations may flare but most of them are out of enjoyment of the game. Maybe you 100% believe the P-39 is better than the P-40, but on this board the answers for and against are usually backed by some brains, knowledge and great links.

this is one of the best forums I've been on and 98% of the posts and users make it that way.

Yeah, but don't ask if Bismarck was sunk or scuttled...

< Message edited by witpqs -- 9/8/2016 2:56:13 PM >

(in reply to jamesjohns)
Post #: 25
RE: This forum is terrible and unwelcoming - 9/8/2016 5:28:00 AM   
Yaab

The forum is terrible, the game is unplayable and war is hell. To war(hell?)! To hell with war? Hey game, what did you do to my brain?

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 26
RE: This forum is terrible and unwelcoming - 9/8/2016 5:57:46 AM   
LST Express

This game might require more patience than the op has?

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 27
RE: This forum is terrible and unwelcoming - 9/8/2016 6:06:41 AM   
Yaab

Timotheus, I fear all you have done is to awaken a sleeping forum and fill it with a terrible resolve.

(in reply to LST Express)
Post #: 28
RE: This forum is terrible and unwelcoming - 9/8/2016 6:36:25 AM   
Steely Glint

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

To see a snarky opinion from a newbie that just walks into a room firing a shotgun is pretty surprising. I suspect that he looked into a mirror, saw a reflection, and thought it was somebody else staring back at him.

Bingo. I would have gladly helped him. After that post, which was not only completely false and but also insulting to all of us, he can forget about that.

I've been here for a long time. Every time I have needed help or an answer, it's been forthcoming. This has been a forum virtually devoid of hatred, factionalism, and flamewars. It's not fancy, or flashy, just full of shared knowledge. It's not full of people who post just to raise their post count or to prop up their ego. This is a forum of and for adults. I don't know of another one that is nearly as comfortable.

I urge you all to politely ignore what the newbie wrote. Perhaps he will learn better over time.

“It was a war of snap judgments and binary results—shoot or don’t, live or die.“

Wargamer since 1967. Matrix customer since 2003.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 29
RE: This forum is terrible and unwelcoming - 9/8/2016 7:12:26 AM   
LoBaron

quote:

This forum is terrible and unwelcoming

No, but it might look like it to those who barely scratch the surface before jumping conclusions.

It is a test to sort out those who would be unable to muster the patience and tenancy to learn the game, and to save them from wasting precious time.

(in reply to Timotheus)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> This forum is terrible and unwelcoming Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI