Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

NATO v NATO

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> NATO v NATO Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
NATO v NATO - 9/21/2016 7:43:47 AM   
baldbrother

Would it be possible to create a NATO v NATO or US v US scenario to test your battle tactics with identical weaponry?
Post #: 1
RE: NATO v NATO - 9/21/2016 12:11:08 PM   
CapnDarwin

Yes it is. Copy the user data file you want and rename it with a -red or something. Go into the national tab. Rename the file name at the bottom to match your file name and set side to "red". Load up the editor and the Red NATO force should show. Enjoy.

OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC

(in reply to baldbrother)
Post #: 2
RE: NATO v NATO - 9/21/2016 1:11:28 PM   
Mad Russian

You can create Red on Red situations in the same way.

Good Hunting.

MR

The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 3
RE: NATO v NATO - 9/21/2016 2:00:52 PM   
cbelva

Not only is it possible, but I have. Just edit the Data file for the NATO nationality you want to use as the red force as Capn D outlined.

(in reply to Mad Russian)
Post #: 4
RE: NATO v NATO - 9/21/2016 2:24:06 PM   
BeirutDude

Actually, along the same lines would like to merge NATO Nationalities for Multiple nation's defense.

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985

I was Navy, but Assigned TAD to the 24th MAU Hq in Beirut. By far the finest period of my service!

(in reply to cbelva)
Post #: 5
RE: NATO v NATO - 9/21/2016 7:16:39 PM   
cbelva

Allowing multinational forces in the same scenario is a feature that we are working on for Southern Storm.

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 6
RE: NATO v NATO - 9/21/2016 7:22:18 PM   
BeirutDude

GREAT!!!!!

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985

I was Navy, but Assigned TAD to the 24th MAU Hq in Beirut. By far the finest period of my service!

(in reply to cbelva)
Post #: 7
RE: NATO v NATO - 11/14/2016 6:09:28 AM   
baldbrother

quote:

Go into the national tab. Rename the file name at the bottom to match your file name and set side to "red". Load up the editor and the Red NATO force should show.
...sorry but where do I find the National tab?

Post #: 8
RE: NATO v NATO - 11/14/2016 6:28:21 AM   
Stimpak

It's the first tab in a database file.

Post #: 9
RE: NATO v NATO - 11/14/2016 7:08:45 AM   
baldbrother

Again apologies for my ignorance where do I find the database file?

Post #: 10
RE: NATO v NATO - 11/14/2016 10:41:02 AM   
CapnDarwin

The data folder in the FPRS module folder. Each data file is in a nationally names folder.

Post #: 11
RE: NATO v NATO - 11/14/2016 11:57:19 PM   
baldbrother

Capn Darwin. Thanks for the help. I was hoping to create a Red version of the West German force. One data file is locked and the other one is empty. Is there any way I could accomplish what I want to do? I'd appreciate any help as this is all new territory for me.

Post #: 12
RE: NATO v NATO - 11/15/2016 12:06:38 AM   
baldbrother

I think I've worked out what to do. Too early in the morning maybe.

Post #: 13
RE: NATO v NATO - 11/15/2016 4:04:59 AM   
baldbrother

Managed to get a scenario going - based on existing one. However for side 2,East Germany the counters are white not red. I typed in the same number 00343696 that is used in the Russian data but when I save it the 00's disappear and it saves as 343696. Any help gladly received.

Post #: 14
RE: NATO v NATO - 11/15/2016 10:33:38 AM   
CapnDarwin

The color is a legacy value. What you need to do is change the name of the counter background image to one you want to use and place it in the folder with your new red data file. That will work for you.

Post #: 15
RE: NATO v NATO - 11/16/2016 7:41:08 AM   
baldbrother

The color is a legacy value
Sorry Capn to appear so dim-witted but where do I find this legacy value/color
Apologies for wasting your time.

Post #: 16
RE: NATO v NATO - 11/16/2016 11:05:41 AM   
cbelva

What Capn D meant was the program does not use that value anymore to determine the color of the counters. It has been replaced with a counter graphic found in each countries Data file. Example: If you look in the folder Flashpoint Campaigns Red Storm/Modules/FPRS/Data/American you will find a graphic file named "US_BGD.bmp". That is the counter for the American units. It corresponds to the graphic file named in the US Data file under the National Tab/Game Defaults/Unit Counter Background Image.

When you load a scenario for say the American side, the program looks for the graphic file in the American Date folder of that name and loads it as the graphic for that sides counter. If it cannot find a corresponding graphic file of that name in the Nations Data file, the counter will appear white.

Hopefully this helps. The allows you to design your own counters. You can have them multicolored if you like.

Here are some counters I did for fun. Some of them look really good in the game. I especially like my Canadian counter.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by cbelva -- 11/16/2016 11:14:28 AM >

Post #: 17
RE: NATO v NATO - 11/16/2016 11:25:57 AM   
cbelva

By the way, if you want to redo a counter to your own liking and use it in the game, you can change the counter while playing a scenario. First save the original counter graphic so that you don't loose it. Next rename your counter to correspond to the one used in the game. Then while playing a game, under the View menu at the top select the last item "Refresh subunit image from disk" and it will change all that nation's counter to the new one.

You have to do this each time since the counter image is hard coded into the scenario at the time the scenario is created and saved. If you were to build a new scenario using that new counter, it will be hard coded into the scenario and every player that plays that scenario will see your unique counter. If you want to change the counter permanently in a scenario, in the editor on the page where you save the scenario there is a "Refresh underlying scenario data" button. If you press that, it will change all the counter in the game to correspond to the graphic in national data files. Be careful with that button, it will also refresh scenario with any changes made to said data file. If you don't have the correct data file (say from a user made scenario where he used his own data file) you will corrupt the scenario.

Hope this was clear enough.

(in reply to cbelva)
Post #: 18
RE: NATO v NATO - 11/17/2016 5:48:42 AM   
baldbrother

Charles. Thanks for all the very helpful information. Sadly, even though I have the appropriate counter in the folder - see attached screen shot - the unit remains white when you open the game to play. Tried refreshing image from disc to no avail. Obviously I'm doing something wrong somewhere. If you have time to assist I'd be grateful. I understand the pressures on your availability. Thanks.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 19
RE: NATO v NATO - 11/17/2016 10:41:11 AM   
cbelva

OK, I just have a few minutes this morning and I am off. The problem is that the program can't find the graphic file. Make sure that the folder that you East German mod is in is named "East Germany" to correspond with the Country Name on the National tab of your data file. It appears that the folder is named EG-Tony but I am not positive. See if that fixes it and let me know.

Post #: 20
RE: NATO v NATO - 11/17/2016 11:48:58 AM   
CapnDarwin

How is your data file showing up in the ScenEdit? Name shown that is. I make sure my excel data file name is the same as the country name on the national tab. The folder name your data is in can be named anything, but needs to be in the Data folder. See if that helps.

(in reply to cbelva)
Post #: 21
RE: NATO v NATO - 11/17/2016 1:06:29 PM   
cbelva

Capn Darwin is correct, the name of the folder is not a problem. HOWEVER, I see the problem. There is a spelling difference between the counter name and how it is spell in the data file. The counter is spelled "Eger-BDG" but in the data file it is spell "Eger-BGD". You reversed the "G" and the "D". Hope this gets you working.

< Message edited by cbelva -- 11/17/2016 5:24:09 PM >

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 22
RE: NATO v NATO - 11/17/2016 1:31:56 PM   
CapnDarwin

Charles with the sharp eye!

(in reply to cbelva)
Post #: 23
RE: NATO v NATO - 11/18/2016 12:16:59 AM   
baldbrother

All hail the sharp eyes of Charles B. Thanks very much CB and CD for your patient help, assisting a clearly dyslexic enthusiast on his way. Works a treat. Fantastic support for a great game from the best development team around. Now get back to work Southern Storm !

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 24
RE: NATO v NATO - 11/19/2016 11:56:29 PM   
cbelva

Don't worry about Southern Storm. We have Rob chained up to his workstation in the basement at OTS HQ. We feed him ice cream every night to keep him happy and focused. That is why you don't see him much in the forum, we don't let him out much.

Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> NATO v NATO Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI