Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

AAR (Alpha Testing)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> FlashPoint Germany >> AAR (Alpha Testing) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
AAR (Alpha Testing) - 2/16/2003 12:52:31 PM   
IChristie

Hi Guys,

I had been working on testing the second map in the game, just kind of playing around with different scenarios. I ended up having so much fun with this one that I just had to share it.
------------------------------------
CAVEATS
This is still an alpha version of the game so please don't get too concerned if its still rough around the edges.

Please forgive the tactical stupidity of this particular engagement, I was pretty much trying to get a US Tank Bn into close quarters with some Soviet tanks to see what would happen. I have tried to come up with a plausible story about how it might happen...

My apologies to Byron13 (and anyone else from that world) if I have butchered the terminology etc too badly
------------------------------------

Enjoy!

ic
------------------------------------------
0600 26/11/89 - Near Rotenfels, FRG

B Company 2 Battalion

LARIAT ADVANCE! Two words I never want to hear again. Looks like there's no danger of that. This time they were spoken in earnest. Can it really be two days ago? Seems like two weeks. In the last two days it feels like I've seen half of the FRG! We'd been in Corps reserve until last night. The situation must have been fluid 'cause we've occupied three different positions in that time but we haven't seen any action yet. Then last night we got new orders.

Move south and to cover the flank of the Corps area.

It was supposed to be a quiet sector but just before dusk last night Ivan hit the Cav screen hard and Corps is afraid they may be trying an end run. The enemy strength is unclear as the screening force evaporated at about midnight and there hasn't been any really good recon since. OUr orders are to move to an area South of Rotenfels and take up covering positions while a main defensive position is organized. If they old man said it once, he said it a hundred times at the O-Group last night. DO NOT BECOME DECISIVELY ENGAGED. "Our job is not to defeat the whole friggin' soviet army boys, just punch 'em hard, nail 'em down, call for help and get the H*** out."

So right now we're coming up on the typical little German city of Rotenfels on the Etter river. Our new positions are just south of town where the road turns south. Immediately to our front a small stream enters the Etter just west of town. The recon platoon is stopped just this side of the bridge. I can see Lt. Brown thinking it over in his head. We went over this part at the O-Group too.

"Clear the town, sir?"
"Yes, Brown"
"Are they giving us some grunts, sir?"
"Nope"
"That's nuts, sir!"
"Nevertheless, you're going to do it Brown. And what's more, you're going to like it!"

Aparently Corps has a bug up their butt about spetnatz units mining strategic junctions and every inch of this route has to be driven over so that we know the route is clear for the eventual counter attack. So now, the recon guys have to drive right through town and A Company has to provide cover while they do. Really stupid work for an M1. I don't like the feel of it.

Once they're part way through my outfit will move through town to help cover them on the other side. Bn HQ is one bound behind us with the mortars and C and D company's are back up the road another km and a half

0645 26/11/89

The Recon guys have been picking their way through town for almost an hour now, They're just about out the southern edge, A company is closing up with them to provide overwatch out the other side and we're gunning it down the road to back them up.

0652 26/11/89

"CONTACT, WAIT OUT"

The sound of gunfire erupts from the SE. Before the contact report is even completed the engagment is over. Seems the recon guys and A company nearly ran right over Ivan's Combat Recce Patrol on the southern edge of town. The carnage was brutal and next thing you know the Russians are guests at their own BBQ.

As Capt Tom Kronk in A Company reports

"SITREP, Enemy destroyed continuing with tasking"

you can hear the cheering in his tank in the background. Not a good idea to relax too soon. Before the last shot is even fired the Russian artillery is already landing in the village. The Recon guys get a pretty good pasting and lose a bradley mobility killed. Brown sounds a little shook up as he calls it in. The intensity of the barrage goes on building for 15 minutes and pretty soon Ivan is searching the whole town and we're weaving our way through debris and shellholes as the 122mm round burst all around us.

0700 26/11/89

Back at the Western end of town the old man has obviously decided he doesn't want to put his head any further into the noose. He orders the recon guys to take up a position of observation on the road south while A company moves E and takes up firing positions over the fields to the South. He orders us to take up similar positions to the west of the main road on the southern edge of town. He sends C company down the West side of the creek as security in case IVan thinks about going around Rotenfels to the south.

As we emerge south of town I get my first good look at the fields rolling away to the south towards the village of Etternach which is about 2000m distant. The area is low and wet forming a narrow neck about 3500m wide between the Etter on the east and the stream on the west. Once past Etternach the ground starts to rise again to the south. There a several tree lines around the low lying fields so even though the area is flat out view is restricted to about 1500 - 2000m. It's not a great spot to defend. Too bad! 'Cause the road is crawling with Russian vehicles. As we pull up into position the lead company is deploying form line of march only 1500m direct to our front.

"Gunner - Target! Tank, 1500m, engage!"
"All units 2, this is 29 enemy tanks, 1500m south, engage!"

The words aren't even out of my mouth before the T-80's start to disappear in puffs of smoke and dirt. In less than 10 minutes it's all over for Ivan. The whole company is a smoking ruin. For good measure I get the mortar guys to hit the remnants just to make their day really miserable. No time to relax though as a whole herd of BMP's suddenly appears off to the left on the main road. We jockey and repeat the performance on them. The back up into the trees in a hurry but not before leaving 6 or 7 burning vehicles behind.

The company net erupts as the guys start whooping it up.
"All units, this is 29, put a lid on it. That won't be the last of them. Get into cover and watch your zones"

Sure enough, over on the left in the recon and A company position, more arty starts falling. Judging by the rising column of smoke and dust, things are getting hot over there. We get our share as well, but nothing too severe. Mind you I'm getting a pretty good headache from the constant hammering of hot shrapnel on steel. SOme of the concussions actually shake the tank pretty good as well. I really start to get worried when they start dropping smoke all across our left front. In between salvos we can hear A LOT of vehicle noise, but visibility is down to 1000m in the clear. The thermal sights help but the trees along the road mask most of the vehicles. After a few fruitless shots, I order the platoons to hold their fire until we have decent targets.

The shelling next door continues to intensify. The whole SE part of town is nothing but a mass of bright flashes and rolling clouds of smoke and debris. Tom Kronk obviously decides that discretion is the better part of valour and orders Alpha to pull back. I'm guessing that he figured with that much hardware landing on his head and with visibility of about 1500m there was no way he could avoid getting "decisively engaged" so he headed back to the centre of town. I guess I'll never know what he was thinking, 'cause I never saw him again.

When Brown sees A Company pulling pole, he wastes no time getting out himself. Unfortunately his sitrep is garbled, so we didn't even know we were all alone.

The first Russian Tank bn completes their deployment from line of March and drive straight into the SE edge of town.

They roll right over the original A company position and into town. It's not clear what happened next but according to the recon guys, Alpha company had got themselves into a total snarl trying negotiate the center of town in when they got hit by the barrage. Next thing anybody knew there were T-80's and BMP's everywhere and the they were in a knife fight. They called down our own artillery... then things got really confusing!

I first realized that Alpha company was no longer in position when they started calling for arty at grid references behind our own positions. From the sound of the radio traffic, I could tell that things were not going well. Ivan was stonking us pretty good as well, so figured it ws time to skedaddle. I gave the platoons the order to retire to our RV point on the West edge of town near the bridge. I spent a hair raising 20 minutes picking my way through the ruins of town as the artiller kepy plastering the whole place.

Things did not sound good over on Alpha's front. At one point the sitreps stopped all together then Tom's Company First Sgt came on the line to report that they were taking heavy fire. I figured that could not be good news for Tom.

Miraculously I managed to get the whole company out of the town and regrouped. As we were coming up to the RV point I saw the HQ group headed west at high speed. The whole town was one big cloud of dust and smoke there was no way to tell what was going on. I saw one of the Recon Bradleys tear out of a side street and down the main road, before disappearing in a cloud of dust as a building collapsed right on it. I didn't see if they got out or not.

Orders were coming thick and fast now from the old man. He told the recon platoon to get back into town and reestablish contact with Alpha company. Alpha wasn't answering the phone any more and that didn't bode well. I was told to get back up the road to the west and take up a position in reserve where we could get some more ammo and a fuel top up. We also needed to assess our damage. All the tanks were still running but after almost 2 hours of continuous shelling we had a lot of minor damage.

Meanwhile Delta was told to move forward to the W side of the creek and cover recon and Alpha (if they were still around) as they withdrew from Rotenfels.

Charlie was ordered to move west up the ridge to the W of the Creek and continue to protect against an attempt to bypass the city to the south.

The radio orders were barely complete when Charlie company when "CONTACT, Wait OUt" crackled in my head phones again. This time it was Charlie company. It seems a company of tanks tried to cross the creek just in front of their position. They got caught in the soft ground and Charlie made mincemeat of them in short order. Still I knew from bitter experience over the last few hours - not to get cocky. Ivan was clearly happy to scarifice whole companies doing "recce by death". If Charlie didn't disengage quickly they were going to be looking at whole lot more trouble!

--------------------------------------

Here's a couple of screen shots of the situation at 0930. First a zoomed in look with the grid off. (note the alpha version smoke effects ;))

[IMG]http://www.militarygameronline.com/closecombatian/FPGScreen0001.jpg[/IMG]

And the same situation with the map zoomed out and the grid turned on

[IMG]http://www.militarygameronline.com/closecombatian/FPGScreen0004.jpg[/IMG]

.... more to follow, over

Iain Christie
-----------------
"If patience is a virtue then persistence is it's part.
It's better to light a candle than stand and curse the dark"

- James Keelaghan
Post #: 1
Exciting stuff - 2/16/2003 6:43:21 PM   
Paul Wykes

Thanks for this. It sounds even better now that we can get some feed back from an actual game being played out. Even it is from an early build of the game.

Can`t wait for the next part.

(in reply to IChristie)
Post #: 2
Bump... - 2/18/2003 10:14:42 PM   
IChristie

Jeez, I must be losing my touch! :rolleyes:

Is anybody out there!

Hey, is this thing on!

Somebody turn up the house lights, I think they've all gone to sleep... :p

Iain Christie
-----------------

- James Keelaghan

(in reply to IChristie)
Post #: 3
- 2/18/2003 11:15:44 PM   
DavidW75

:mad: Turn those lights off...I need my beauty sleep ;)

I was just waiting for the next round of updates from the battlefield.

(in reply to IChristie)
Post #: 4
Continue Report Over! - 2/18/2003 11:22:25 PM   
Catgh_MatrixForum

HQ awaiting further report. Connection has been reestablished.

(in reply to IChristie)
Post #: 5
And a few shots from me... - 2/19/2003 2:00:16 PM   
Ross Moorhouse

Air Cav under attack. Only one enemy unit is visable. But the Air Cav has come under attack from several other poiints on the map.

[IMG]http://www.militarygameronline.com/CloseCombatFuture/aircavunderattack.jpg[/IMG]

Ross Moorhouse

Project Manager
www.csosimtek.com
Email: rossm@csogroup.org

(in reply to IChristie)
Post #: 6
- 2/19/2003 2:03:04 PM   
Ross Moorhouse

Another feature of the game is the Hardware inspector.

[IMG]http://www.militarygameronline.com/CloseCombatFuture/Hardware%20inspector.jpg[/IMG]

Ross Moorhouse

Project Manager
www.csosimtek.com
Email: rossm@csogroup.org

(in reply to IChristie)
Post #: 7
- 2/20/2003 2:02:48 AM   
Paul Wykes

The "hardware inspector" is just the sort of feature I like to play with.

With my limited knowledge of military hardware, I like to have at my finger tips details about the different units.

There is only so much room for books!

Paul

(in reply to IChristie)
Post #: 8
Charlie Company's bad day - 2/20/2003 11:13:57 AM   
IChristie

While Charlie was sorting that out, the old man was putting on a fire plan to help extract them. We had a M109 Battalion in direct support. They were ordered to fire two battery targets of HE directly to Charlie's front and a battery smoke screen laid on top.

Despite the delay caused by dispatching the enemy tanks I heard Ross Moorhouse's (our ABCA exchange officer - OC C Company) Call "we are moving now at just a hair after 0930". Little did I know that he had less than 12 minutes to live.

[IMG]http://www.militarygameronline.com/closecombatian/AAR02-1.jpg[/IMG]

Not five minutes had gone by when the first trouble started. Both C coy and the recon platoon called contact reports almost simultaneously. We never did hear from the recon guys again. Bob Crandal in D company said it looked like the whole town collapsed on them at once. He figured they got pasted with a whole arty regiment. Bob thought he saw them pulling back, but then he realized that he was seeing BMPs not Bradleys. D Company slammed a couple of them and they stopped at the edge of the village.

Meanwhile C company was reporting a combat recon patrol only a few hundred metres off their left flank as the pulled back. Ross said reported they were engaging on the move. But then their was a garbled message that sounded like: "Holy Hannah, where did THEY come from" and the old man couldn't get a sensible message out of them again.

Later, I talked to one of the tank gunners that survived by hiding in the dithes for a couple of days until our counter attack retook the place. "It was whacked from the start, sir. First of all, it started snowing and you know the thermal sights are no good in that stuff, not that ours had been working since the first good stonking we took anyway. We'd been on the move since 4AM and it seemed like IVan had been plastering us every 15 minutes for the last three hours. Anyways, No sooner did Cpt Moorhouse give the order for the last platoon to pull pole when these three BMP's appear out of the snow coming up off through the tree line to our left rear. They had beautiful shots right up the rear of the leading platoon's butt-holes so 4 platoon peeled off to engage them."
[IMG]http://www.militarygameronline.com/closecombatian/AAR02-2.jpg[/IMG]

"It was only a couple of minutes before they called 'enemy destroyed'. No sooner do we start cheering over that when I see one of the tanks in 2 platoon slew sideways, the hatches pop out and the guys dive to the ground. It took a minute before I realized we were taking hits. Suddenly the net went crazy - the skipper's yelling "Where the blazes are they" and everybody's trying to call it in at once. Turns out that a company of tanks had gotten into the village to our right rear and they had appeared while everyone was looking the other direction. Finally the skipper orders the whole company to stop and engage. By this time the range is only about 600m and it was a mess. While we were figuring out which way was up they creamed three of the tanks in 2 platoon. Then We knocked out half of them but not before we lost another couple including the skipper.

[IMG]http://www.militarygameronline.com/closecombatian/AAR02-3.jpg[/IMG]

"Then suddenly I hear "SH** CONTACT - To the South - More D*** Tanks!". Then "Tanks, Tanks, due west, engage, engage!" The whole bottom of the hill was crawling with Russian tanks, sir. There was nothing we could do. Right about then we got hit and I don't remember much until I managed to hole up in the ditch at the bottom of the hill right in the middle of the burnt out BMP's"

[IMG]http://www.militarygameronline.com/closecombatian/AAR02-4.jpg[/IMG]

All we knew at the time was that by 0945 no one from Charlie Coy was answering the phone any more. The contact reports were confusing but it looked liked they had been overrun by at least a battalion of tanks. Which put D company in a bad spot if they didn't get back down the road and fast.

[IMG]http://www.militarygameronline.com/closecombatian/AAR02-5.jpg[/IMG]

More to follow...

Iain Christie
-----------------

- James Keelaghan

(in reply to IChristie)
Post #: 9
- 2/20/2003 9:34:27 PM   
DavidW75

Good stuff Iain...well not good for the troops trying to stop the red horde:eek:

What do the numbers on the unit icons represent, I'm assuming the left number is the number of vehicles in the unit. What about the right number?

"I ain't never been nothing but a winner" Paul W. 'Bear' Bryant

(in reply to IChristie)
Post #: 10
- 2/21/2003 3:54:12 AM   
IronManBeta

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DavidW75
[B]Good stuff Iain...well not good for the troops trying to stop the red horde:eek:

What do the numbers on the unit icons represent, I'm assuming the left number is the number of vehicles in the unit. What about the right number? [/B][/QUOTE]

Iain, what a fabulous job! Your writing skills are clearly far superior to mine. It took me an hour just to get out a stilted paragraph for the very first screen shots.

The numbers on the unit counters in this shot are # of vehicles (runners as of the time of the last sitrep) and a generalized movement rating. 'Movement rating' is an elastic concept based on the fastest speed of the slowest vehicle in kph plus 5 with the total divided by 10. A unit that can do 65 kph maximum will have a "7" rating. It answers the question 'which units are potentially fast and which are potentially slow'. The actual rate of movement for that unit as it moves along starts with the 65 kph and then considers a host of other factors to get an effective kph speed for the next 500m of the actual movement path so the "7" is no guarantee of anything.

By using the Control-I key you can toggle the counter captions to about 12 other interesting bits of data and then back again. This is the default caption though and the one I use myself 99% of the time.

Cheers, Rob.

(in reply to IChristie)
Post #: 11
- 2/21/2003 4:05:36 AM   
Paul Wykes

This may have been already answered, but i`ll ask again anyway:)

Is there a toggle for the unit icons. I should know what they all the standard NATO symbols mean by now, but I don`t:confused:

Paul

(in reply to IChristie)
Post #: 12
- 2/21/2003 4:19:09 AM   
IronManBeta

A question for you all:

These maps use grayscale shading to denote differences in elevation. This particular map is quite flat over all, but even so you can see ripples in the fields. To find out exactly what the elevation of a location is, you need to hover the mouse somewhere over it and the height in meters will be displayed in the extreme bottom right of the map frame ("Elev 76") as seen in the larger screen shots. Higher elevations are lighter and lower are darker. We have played with the range of contrast a few times now but even so these shading effects can still be pretty subtle.

The main effect of elevation is on enabling / blocking LOS which of course is absolutely central to combat and to the playing of the game. Perhaps Iain could take a screenshot soon where one of his units has done a control-L to highlight all the locations that are visible to it in under the current lighting and weather conditions. Even minor variations in elevation can create all kinds of dead ground that you would never guess from just looking at the map. This is intentional! The original SimCan game did it too - although you were not necessarily aware of it at the time. You might be able to see ground 3km in one direction and yet not be aware of tanks just 500m away on that same bearing thanks to an imperceptable fold in the ground. Iain's map making brings this out beautifully.

My worry is that players too often will rush in and not check LOS while reconoitering their positions. Sloppy players deserve what they get of course, but are we providing enough clues that this is a necessary part of the game play? Iain's vivid description of the unexpected popping up of units brings all this to mind. Using ground effectively is a classic military skill that should be rewarded handsomely, but .....

Also consider that this AAR is being played with all the unit counters revealed. In the 'real' game, this will be turned off by default (you can still turn it back on the first few times while you get the hang of it) and this will greatly impact your play. This business of 'unexpected dead ground' is quite a radical departure for wargames - realistic and rewarding I think - but still a departure. People will have to unlearn a mindset to be able to take full advantage of it.

Or maybe I am worrying over nothing!

Well, I just checked map 2 out and as it happens it is so flat and the movement of the ground so smooth that there is in fact very little dead ground on this one. Quite a contrast to map 1! Now I'm thinking that this is a good thing, keeps the gamers on their toes, etc. Your style of play will definitely change when the fields of view are not continuous! Map 2 might be a better starter map even? Hmmm...

More AAR please!

Cheers, Rob.

(in reply to IChristie)
Post #: 13
- 2/21/2003 4:27:45 AM   
IronManBeta

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Paul Wykes
[B]This may have been already answered, but i`ll ask again anyway:)

Is there a toggle for the unit icons. I should know what they all the standard NATO symbols mean by now, but I don`t:confused:

Paul [/B][/QUOTE]

If I could cut and paste images like Iain I could illustrate!

Tank = (sideways) oval in box
Inf = large X in box
Arty = dot in center of box
Helo = 'bowtie' in box
Engineer = sideways E in box (prongs downward)
Mech Inf = large X over oval in box
Recon = large / over oval in box
SP Arty = dot over oval in box
HQs = numbers or letters in box

Pretty simple really. I know Swamp Yankee wants more, I just can't do it yet! They will be documented in the rules (someday) too.

Cheers, Rob.

(in reply to IChristie)
Post #: 14
- 2/21/2003 4:28:08 AM   
IChristie

I have some screenshots with the CTR-L enabled but I hadn't wanted to post then since it's a debug feature. I will post some tonight.

:o I have a confession to make... I'm not actually playing this game with the "standard" elevation scale. I went ahead and tried upping the elevation contrast a little because I wasn't seeing much effect from the hills. I wanted to see how much difference it would make. The particular feature around the C company position is a beautriful example of the dead ground effect you are talking about (once the contours are steepened up). The hill is very convex so the view from the top is actually quite restricted. You have to get down on to the slope before you can see much of anything.

I'll post some shots tonight

FWIW my opinion is that the CTRL-L feature is absolutely essential. I have now trained myself not to do anything without checking with it first. As has been pointed out the maps definitely sacrifice clarity of information for visual appeal so some sort of tool like this is necessary. I actually kind of like this feature - as I have said before it kind of suppresses some of the "gaminess" in that you have to treat the map like a real map or sat photo rather than as a game board that has funny seams and sightlines that can be exploited.

Iain Christie
-----------------

- James Keelaghan

(in reply to IChristie)
Post #: 15
- 2/21/2003 4:41:30 AM   
Paul Wykes

Rob: Thanks for the quick reply. It`s easy when you know how;)

In regards to elevation and LOS, it is possible to have a contour overlay switch, I think this may have been discussed before.

Whilst "hovering" the mouse over the map is ok, perhaps a "contour view" would enable the player to quickly show the depressions or otherwise of the area.

The check LOS feature is obviouslty essential tool in both the planning and the execution of the plan.

Keep up the good work all

Paul

(in reply to IChristie)
Post #: 16
- 2/21/2003 5:00:35 AM   
IronManBeta

Writing a largish computer program is surprising hard. Not only do you have to figure out the design and then do the construction, but you then have to be able to demonstrate that it actually works as intended! The control-L thing was one of many little 'demonstrators' that I built in as I went along.

In my mind it became so essential that it went from 'debug-only' to 'production' to 'essential for absolutely everyone' but I guess I didn't actually spell that out. Consider this the official announcement!

BTW, there is a much faster version too for us speed freaks. Hold down the shift key and left click the map with the mouse. It will treat the mouse click like a control-L. You don't have to click again to erase the overlay either, just click somewhere and it will know to erase the first one. You can do 20 locations in maybe 30 - 40 seconds to get the lay of the land. This is non-debug code.

Note: If there is a unit occupying the location you have to click on the sliver of map showing somewhere around it. Otherwise all is easy.

Cheers, Rob.

(in reply to IChristie)
Post #: 17
- 2/21/2003 5:07:40 AM   
IronManBeta

[B]Rob: Thanks for the quick reply. It`s easy when you know how;)

In regards to elevation and LOS, it is possible to have a contour overlay switch, I think this may have been discussed before.

Whilst "hovering" the mouse over the map is ok, perhaps a "contour view" would enable the player to quickly show the depressions or otherwise of the area.

Paul [/B][/QUOTE]

NATO symbols are the standard, so you might as well internalize them now. There are multiple sources on the web too that will give you all the variations and permutations that you could ever want. If you are curious and can't find them then let me know!

The contour view does show up better in the other maps they way they are currently drawn. Map 2 is actually pretty flat except for a gentle rise up to the northern rim so it is not as good an example for what I was talking about. Map 3 (Springe) is hairier and Iain has spent quite some time trying to get the contours showing just right. I seem to recall that it was posted recently but now I'm not sure. Iain, can you post a snippet showing the heights north and south of that town for us?

Cheers, Rob.

(in reply to IChristie)
Post #: 18
LOS Checking - 2/21/2003 11:53:36 AM   
IChristie

Here are some shots that illustrate the LOS Checking on the Northern Germany (#2) map. The shots are all taken in the SW corner of the map near the site of the "death of Charlie" described above

First of all near the crest of the hill.

[IMG]http://www.militarygameronline.com/closecombatian/FPG0002.jpg[/IMG]

Note that the LOS is quite restricted in large part because of the convex hill which generates a lot of dead ground to the East

Here, slightly farther down the slope, the LOS extends a bit farther to the East

[IMG]http://www.militarygameronline.com/closecombatian/FPG0001.jpg[/IMG]

Once on the actual forward slope the LOS extends all the way across the stream

[IMG]http://www.militarygameronline.com/closecombatian/FPG0004.jpg[/IMG]

Down at the bottom the LOS tightens up again, partly because of the trees along the stream.

[IMG]http://www.militarygameronline.com/closecombatian/FPG0005.jpg[/IMG]

Iain Christie
-----------------

- James Keelaghan

(in reply to IChristie)
Post #: 19
Map #3 - 2/21/2003 11:57:51 AM   
IChristie

Here's a look at Map #3 in the actual game. Here's a look at the town of Springe and the heights behind:

[IMG]http://www.militarygameronline.com/closecombatian/FPG0007.jpg[/IMG]

Here's a look at the southern set of hills with the road cutting through the saddle

[IMG]http://www.militarygameronline.com/closecombatian/FPG0008.jpg[/IMG]

And here's a look at the centre section of the map in the "zoomed out" setting

[IMG]http://www.militarygameronline.com/closecombatian/FPG0009.jpg[/IMG]

For more on this map check out this thread

[URL=Maps Thread]http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32439[/URL]

Iain Christie
-----------------

- James Keelaghan

(in reply to IChristie)
Post #: 20
very good - 2/22/2003 6:53:40 AM   
Paul Wykes

I can see that the LOS will be a valuable tool:)

The pics look really good, they show the contours of the land well.

paul

(in reply to IChristie)
Post #: 21
all quite - 3/2/2003 8:33:21 PM   
Paul Wykes

Is it all quite on the front.....?

or is everyone busy testing:)

just looking forward to the next installment

(in reply to IChristie)
Post #: 22
Re: all quite - 3/2/2003 9:32:54 PM   
IronManBeta

[B]Is it all quite on the front.....?

or is everyone busy testing:)

just looking forward to the next installment [/B][/QUOTE]

Strangely quiet yes....

I'm going beserk make the game play a little better under Windows 98 and Iain is busy cranking out maps. I have a new stack of interesting little UI improvements to add in too. The maps, BTW, are extremely labour intensive for Iain so I'm not surprised we aren't hearing from him.

It seems to me that day jobs are a factor too, but things are grinding along and the progress is real!

Cheers, Rob.

(in reply to IChristie)
Post #: 23
- 3/2/2003 10:26:43 PM   
Paul Wykes

Thanks for the reply.

good to hear that works continuing

keep up the good work all.

pw

(in reply to IChristie)
Post #: 24
Still Alive, Still Kicking - 3/2/2003 11:23:45 PM   
IChristie

I have, indeed been working on the next map - #4 - "Three Sisters" set in the Fulda Gap area. The map is about half done. I'll try to post some shots once the first draft is done. Due to RL commitments, that probably won't be for another week or so.

Each map takes between two and three weeks to complete right now.

Just to keep everyone satiated for the next little while here's a little bit of eyecandy - a screen shot of "The mother of all Scenarios". Elements of a whole Motor Rifle Division descend on a US Tank heavy brigade group.

[IMG]http://www.militarygameronline.com/CloseCombatIan/BigOne0001.jpg[/IMG]

Iain Christie
-----------------

- James Keelaghan

(in reply to IChristie)
Post #: 25
- 3/3/2003 8:05:21 AM   
DavidW75

Hey Iain that's great to here. Can't wait to see it.

(in reply to IChristie)
Post #: 26
- 4/2/2003 1:04:34 AM   
Black Cat

I really appreciate the AAR`s and hope more are forthcoming, as well as interface and gameplay details when they are finalized.

From just the screenshots and reports, I for one would preorder with payment now.

Thanks

(in reply to IChristie)
Post #: 27
Re: Still Alive, Still Kicking - 4/15/2003 9:19:24 AM   
DavidW75

[QUOTE]Originally posted by IChristie
[B]I have, indeed been working on the next map - #4 - "Three Sisters" set in the Fulda Gap area. The map is about half done. I'll try to post some shots once the first draft is done. Due to RL commitments, that probably won't be for another week or so.

[/B][/QUOTE]

Hey Iain, any updates on the map?

(in reply to IChristie)
Post #: 28
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> FlashPoint Germany >> AAR (Alpha Testing) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI