Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Rules for Russian Units Held Off Map

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Rules for Russian Units Held Off Map Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Rules for Russian Units Held Off Map - 1/22/2017 4:17:16 AM   
56ajax

I am curious to know what rules or assumptions control units that exist in the game but are stationed off the map in eg the Arctic Circle.

Historically a ceasefire was signed on the 4th September 1944 between Finland and the USSR, whence the Russians withdrew many units to fight on the central front.

How is this simulated in the game, if at all?

If you do get the Finns to surrender what happens to the Soviet Units held off map?

Post #: 1
RE: Rules for Russian Units Held Off Map - 1/22/2017 9:13:01 AM   
Denniss

Not simluated at all, just like all the units in Asia. They do not require/consume anything. This will change in WitE2 though.
Maybe something for a future change in WitE 1, creating some offmap usage.

(in reply to 56ajax)
Post #: 2
RE: Rules for Russian Units Held Off Map - 1/23/2017 12:15:07 AM   
56ajax

Fair enough.

There are 2 scenarios which may need some attention.

1. Divisions released after the Finns 'surrender'; historically some were released to Stavka Reserve, then assigned to active duty against the germans.

2. Divisions destroyed early in the campaign. I think I have come across (historically) 2 divs that were rebuilt then assigned off map for the duration of the war. In the game these would come back as reinforcements.

Anyway perhaps it evens out.

Thanks.

(in reply to Denniss)
Post #: 3
RE: Rules for Russian Units Held Off Map - 1/23/2017 12:21:38 PM   
Telemecus

Worth remembering that the Russians in the Arctic were not affected as they were facing Germans and continued to fight them there near Petsamo and finally in Finmark until the German surrender in 45. Most of the troops in the war with Finland were always in action in the parts depicted in the map. The only part of the Finnish surrender not simulated is the centre of Karelia where the troop commitments on each side were de minimis.

(in reply to 56ajax)
Post #: 4
RE: Rules for Russian Units Held Off Map - 1/25/2017 12:19:09 AM   
56ajax

quote:

ORIGINAL: Telemecus

Worth remembering that the Russians in the Arctic were not affected as they were facing Germans and continued to fight them there near Petsamo and finally in Finmark until the German surrender in 45. Most of the troops in the war with Finland were always in action in the parts depicted in the map. The only part of the Finnish surrender not simulated is the centre of Karelia where the troop commitments on each side were de minimis.

Which may well be the case; however the 54th RD spent most of the war on the karelian front but was assigned to Stavka reserves late in 1944, then assigned to the 31st Army and saw action in East Prussia and in Prague. (ie a reinforcement).

I have only checked 25 RDs so far and there may be more in a similar situation.

One of the reasons why I bring this to the forums attention is the furore that would arise if this was a German div (the games broken!!!!! etc).

Haven't got a clue how you simulate it though.

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 5
RE: Rules for Russian Units Held Off Map - 1/25/2017 12:47:17 PM   
Telemecus

quote:

ORIGINAL: johntoml56
Haven't got a clue how you simulate it though.

You could have it as an arrival in the withdrawals/arrivals. Some of the Axis arrivals are conditional on certain prerequisites, so I assume you could have new rifle divisions arriving on the north edge of the map on or after a turn if there is a Finnish surrender?

(in reply to 56ajax)
Post #: 6
RE: Rules for Russian Units Held Off Map - 1/25/2017 3:47:03 PM   
Denniss

All arrivals are turn-based, no prereqs/conditions possible. Only Volksgrenadier divs are special (timeframe-based) to arrive instead of destroyed infantry divs.

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Rules for Russian Units Held Off Map Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI