Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Should I Buy TOAW 3?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Should I Buy TOAW 3? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Should I Buy TOAW 3? - 10/21/2017 11:19:22 PM   
BKL

I have been watching TOAW 4 videos and I think I will buy it when it comes out. What I am wondering is people's opinion on TOAW 3....should I purchase this in the meantime, to get familiar with the game and pass the time? Setting TOAW 4 aside, how do you enjoy TOAW 3, is it worth my time (note I am not concerned about the financial commitment, but the time commitment).

Thoughts, reviews, overview?

Thank you.

BKL

Note that I do play Command Modern Air/Naval Operations.
Post #: 1
RE: Should I Buy TOAW 3? - 10/22/2017 3:15:17 PM   
ncc1701e

This is a hard question to answer. I would sum up my personal experience with this game. I have discovered TOAW I in 1998 and I have found this game wonderful. I have not seen it surpass by any other games since then. But, I never bought TOAW II or TOAW COW. This is only when I have experienced problems with my new Windows OS that I bought TOAW III. Lately, in TOAW III, I have discovered the in-game editor something I have never opened. This is fun to try to recreate historical battle with this game.

There is a little time investiment to do but not the one of WITE or WITP for example.

My advice would be to wait for the Black Friday sale of next November if you would like to give it a try.

Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.

(in reply to BKL)
Post #: 2
RE: Should I Buy TOAW 3? - 10/22/2017 3:46:50 PM   
Zap

TOAWIV will be my first purchase of this series. I can't see purchasing III. IV is in Beta so with that info I think it can't be far away.

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 3
RE: Should I Buy TOAW 3? - 10/22/2017 5:09:34 PM   
sPzAbt653

You made this easy to answer by stating that there is no financial concern. Get TOAW III now and you will not be wasting any time. TOAW 3.4.1.9 is the best version of the game ever and money spent on it is not wasted. Two points to consider concerning TOAW IV, it has been close to release for a long time so who knows how long it will be if you wait for it, and who knows if you will like it [i.e. Civ's and HOI's].

(in reply to BKL)
Post #: 4
RE: Should I Buy TOAW 3? - 10/22/2017 6:00:25 PM   
BKL

quote:

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

You made this easy to answer by stating that there is no financial concern. Get TOAW III now and you will not be wasting any time. TOAW 3.4.1.9 is the best version of the game ever and money spent on it is not wasted. Two points to consider concerning TOAW IV, it has been close to release for a long time so who knows how long it will be if you wait for it, and who knows if you will like it [i.e. Civ's and HOI's].

How does TOAW III compare to Advanced Tactics Gold (I realize they are different games, but would like your thoughts as to what do you prefer and why)?

Thank you!

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 5
RE: Should I Buy TOAW 3? - 10/22/2017 8:05:20 PM   
sPzAbt653

I don't know anything about ATG.

(in reply to BKL)
Post #: 6
RE: Should I Buy TOAW 3? - 10/22/2017 10:45:16 PM   
sIg3b

quote:

How does TOAW III compare to Advanced Tactics Gold (I realize they are different games, but would like your thoughts as to what do you prefer and why)?

Thank you!

They are so different they are hard to compare.

Advanced Tactics: Infinite Random Scenarios on fictional maps where you make your own units; a WW2ish background, but not strictly historical.

TOAW series: Historical/WhatIf scenarios ONLY. No random scenarios, no real AI, instead you get a programmed opponent for each specific scenario. Somewhat more realistic. Opinions about which of the two has better gameplay differ.

< Message edited by Tesuji -- 10/22/2017 10:50:06 PM >

(in reply to BKL)
Post #: 7
RE: Should I Buy TOAW 3? - 10/23/2017 1:23:11 AM   
SpicyJuan

quote:

ORIGINAL: BKL

I have been watching TOAW 4 videos and I think I will buy it when it comes out. What I am wondering is people's opinion on TOAW 3....should I purchase this in the meantime, to get familiar with the game and pass the time? Setting TOAW 4 aside, how do you enjoy TOAW 3, is it worth my time (note I am not concerned about the financial commitment, but the time commitment).

Thoughts, reviews, overview?

Thank you.

BKL

Note that I do play Command Modern Air/Naval Operations.

As a beginner playing TOAW3 I think you should absolutely get it. It will help you get a bit of a feel of TOAW4

(in reply to BKL)
Post #: 8
RE: Should I Buy TOAW 3? - 10/23/2017 7:00:00 AM   
Fred98

I have tried to use TOAW3 as a tool to get a feel for TOAW4. After a year or two I still don't understand what's going on!

(in reply to SpicyJuan)
Post #: 9
RE: Should I Buy TOAW 3? - 10/23/2017 10:57:34 AM   
SpicyJuan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe 98

I have tried to use TOAW3 as a tool to get a feel for TOAW4. After a year or two I still don't understand what's going on!

As a beginner I know exactly what you mean. I suggest that you play a couple of pre-WW1 and WW1 scenarios to understand the mechanics of infantry without having to worry about interdiction. More specifically I suggest Balkans 12 and 13 (with high supply on) to get a feel for playing defensive and some basic attacking tactics. I recommend France 14 to apply the above on a larger level. For more mobile scenarios I recommend Kasserine 43 and Arracourt 44. Iwo Jima is good to get a feel for aircraft and ships.

These tutorials are great too:
https://youtu.be/DAmteAoI6gs

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 10
RE: Should I Buy TOAW 3? - 10/23/2017 9:45:23 PM   
ncc1701e

quote:

ORIGINAL: SpicyJuan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe 98

As a beginner I know exactly what you mean. I suggest that you play a couple of pre-WW1 and WW1 scenarios to understand the mechanics of infantry without having to worry about interdiction. More specifically I suggest Balkans 12 and 13 (with high supply on) to get a feel for playing defensive and some basic attacking tactics. I recommend France 14 to apply the above on a larger level. For more mobile scenarios I recommend Kasserine 43 and Arracourt 44. Iwo Jima is good to get a feel for aircraft and ships.

These tutorials are great too:
https://youtu.be/DAmteAoI6gs

Agree, Kasserine 43 is the scenario to try first from my point of view.

Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.

(in reply to SpicyJuan)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Should I Buy TOAW 3? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI