Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Battalions?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> English Civil War >> Battalions? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Battalions? - 12/29/2018 3:45:52 PM   
w_michael

It seems clear that infantry and cavalry Units can also be called regiments, just as naval Units can also be called flotillas. Many Units are comprised of more than one Element, which I thought could also be called battalions for land Elements, based on statements like this in the rules:
quote:

Units can vary in size from small cavalry regiments to infantry regiments with several battalions.

The following statement in the rules has me confused though:
quote:

Battalion-sized infantry and cavalry elements that score a hit during Assault combat generally cause the target element to lose one (1) strength point. Elements containing multiple battalions can cause up to three (3) strength point losses per hit.

How can an Element contain multiple battalions? I looked at Element statistics and couldn't find a battalion parameter. Is it related to the number of men? Perhaps battalions are increments of 250 men or less in an Element. It seems possible that the rules should refer to single Element Units and multiple Element Units, since Units target enemy Units.
quote:

Each element that is eligible to fire in a combat round is given an opportunity to score hits (i.e. inflict casualties) by firing on an enemy Unit —each Unit firing directs all its fire against a particular enemy Unit.

< Message edited by w_michael -- 12/29/2018 4:26:54 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Battalions? - 1/7/2019 2:06:43 AM   
w_michael

Perhaps the following is a clue to the answer. I've been playing the AGEOD game Birth of America II: Wars in America. It seems simpler, so I thought that it would be a good introduction to the AGEOD system before I played The English Civil War or the Thirty Years' War in earnest. In the French & Indian War scenarios, British regular infantry elements consist of 122 men (48th Regiment of Foot, for example), while the French regular infantry elements consist of 200 men (3rd Battalion/Berry Regiment, for example). The former elements might be considered "battalion-sized", and the latter elements consisting of "multiple battalions". I'll look for this difference the next time I play ECW.

< Message edited by w_michael -- 1/7/2019 2:17:32 AM >

(in reply to w_michael)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> English Civil War >> Battalions? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI