Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Defensive Options?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Defensive Options? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Defensive Options? - 5/9/2003 8:48:33 PM   
Bishopzs

I am new player. My uncle has got me hooked on the game and we have been playing by email. [I am playing Soviets, he is playing Germans, June 44'] Right now he is handing me my ***, capturing all the flags except the one where i started out near. My HQ has been destroyed by his Flak88s and so have many of my tanks...ive tried leading some tanks to ambush his flaks, but i can hardly move anything 1/4 ways through without being destroyed by damned tigers or the 88s.

i have 2 gun emplacements guarding the last flags with a lot of tanks and such, i just need a good way to stop any assualts he might launch. Where should i position and how should i position the tanks is my question. In trees? Bunched up together? In lines?

Thanks,
Bishop
Post #: 1
- 5/9/2003 8:55:23 PM   
Belisarius

Whoo... seems you're in deep trouble there...

So you're on the defense with gun emplacements? Where's your ATGs? Infantry? Only tanks won't take you far at all I'm afraid.

I'd place them in groups, covering the gun emplacement's blind angles (so he can't flank them). Not one by one, never. Pairs at least, better with groups of three. They're mobile, use them that way. Hide in the woods, get forward, shoot and scoot. :)

Last but not least - S M O K E. Make sure he can't have tanks on overwatch behind his front units shooting at you. Break up his assault by separating the attackers into smaller groups. Smoke is excellent for this.

Just a few random thoughts.

Got StuG?

(in reply to Bishopzs)
Post #: 2
- 5/10/2003 12:35:57 AM   
Bishopzs

Not too worried about being flanked, i see all his movements and have the whole map covered...i just dont want him to break through, esp. with his artillery :/....

yea, my inf were screwed Turn 1 as artillery shells hit everything :\

I am trying all the things you suggested.

Thanks

Bishop

(in reply to Bishopzs)
Post #: 3
- 5/10/2003 6:14:59 AM   
rbrunsman

I would suggest that you bit off more than you could chew. You should start off with small battles so you get to understand the tactics of combined arms. It sounds to me like you jumped right into a huge battle with late war equipment.

You should start as the Germans in 1940 or 41 and make your skilled uncle play Russians or Brits and play 3000 point games until you understand how everything works, then build up to playing armagedon. ;)

Everyone is a potential [PBEM] enemy, every place a potential [PBEM] battlefield. --Zensunni Wisdom

(in reply to Bishopzs)
Post #: 4
everybody's right so far - 5/10/2003 6:12:19 PM   
MOTHER

As is my philosophy,"you now know what he needs so hit em hard when they come".Don't discount the flanking defensives just because you can see him comming;its all the more reason too, at least create a semblence of a crossfire into the weaker portions of his armour.Even height plays a crucile factor in creating self preservation.Moving only one hex firing only one shot and then diappearing is highly effective, in conjunction with others of the same platoon :deadly.There is no reason to fire all your shots because you can, unless it can be so or the objective or target determines the absolute annialation for your decisive advantage.Mortars are also highly effective prescion instruments,[88's hate them],spot ,target and indirect fire at key elements or objectives [smoke/HE],just be selective.Those trucks that purchased to fill out the points are your best friends now,utilize them with your static arty/AT units and watch the HE land in a farmers feild.defense is agression,attack moreso. YOU DETERMINE WHATS TO HAPPEN IN THE FEILD OF PLAY!.regards MOTHER:D

Dirty deeds done dirt cheap

(in reply to Bishopzs)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Defensive Options? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI