Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Flash Scenario - "For Otto 2017"

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Flash Scenario - "For Otto 2017" Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Flash Scenario - "For Otto 2017" - 6/30/2017 3:20:47 AM   
kevinkins

A tiny battle dealing with very current events ... just because ... A new player can marry this up with their tutorial learnings and win the operation.

Kevin
Updated version attached here (7/7/17):

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by kevinkin -- 7/8/2017 2:16:23 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Flash Scenario - "For Otto 2017" - 6/30/2017 3:03:18 PM   
kevinkins

A little more:

"There are 4 “shrines” to Kim jong un that must be destroyed. Two are located at Pyongyang and the other two at Hamhung. The order to destroy these shrines comes directly from POTUS. It is meant to send a message to the people of North Korea without inflicting any causalities. This is a personal punch in the nose by POTUS. The DOD is wary of such use of American combat power. But what can they do but obey the rash order."

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 2
RE: Flash Scenario - "For Otto 2017" - 6/30/2017 5:30:22 PM   
Gunner98

Interesting little scenario. A few points:

-NK and China start hostile. I think in this situation they would be unfriendly with a trigger to go hostile if something enters their airspace
-There are a lot of extra units that are not needed, probably over 400 in Guam alone
-For info there is a Sqn of USMC F-35B on permanent station at Iwakuni Japan, although the F-35A could certainly deploy to Japan as well.
-Some OECM would be useful - EF-18G or perhaps a Compass Call
-Might want to station the tankers in Japan or Kadina, they would be much more useful
-Some of the F-22 have some flight time on them, and the base in japan has some damage
-May want to put 'Target' in the name of the 4 targets.

Thanks, nice & quick, with a couple surprises.

B

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 3
RE: Flash Scenario - "For Otto 2017" - 6/30/2017 10:53:36 PM   
kevinkins

Thanks Gunner ... great ideas are can be quickly implemented.

- I always wonder at just laying down ABs from the DB with all the support features vs the single AF. I don't think in this small instance it will slow down players system. But it retrospect, lazy on my part.

This open ups a broader question re:scenario OOBs vs what is actually available to a real world commander during a crisis. Unless it is a WW3 scenario, the player will be given a subset of a nation's total combat power. How to display that to a player is tricky. A player might feel cheated: "hey I know abc has zxy on base cbs ... why can't I access those assets". I am pretty sure this question pre-dates a new Command designer like me. In historical ground warfare scenarios, we never run into this dilemma. That said ... I enjoy the dilemma.

Kevin

< Message edited by kevinkin -- 6/30/2017 11:12:07 PM >

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 4
RE: Flash Scenario - "For Otto 2017" - 7/1/2017 9:05:40 AM   
Gunner98

You bring up an interesting point. Its a personal choice, but from my perspective, I like to make it seem real.

A simulation is a suspension of reality as a 'start point' but you can hid that by making it as real as possible.

We have a saying at work: 'Simulation has to be realistic - reality doesn't!' because in a simulation a player will very easily call 'BS', where in reality, no mater what happens s/he has to deal with it.

So a realistic OOB is one way of making things more believable. A future history, if you will. In this instance, you want to use the F-35, fine. A player might ask - why not use the ones that I know are already there? Or if you were to use the USS Ronald Reagan in a Scenario in the Med - a player might say 'Hay that CVN is stationed in Japan, they wouldn't do that!'

Plenty of examples which in game terms don't mean very much or nothing at all. But adds that veneer of reality.

Like I said its a personal choice of the designer, and it really makes no difference on the scenario - so no matter.

B

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 5
RE: Flash Scenario - "For Otto 2017" - 7/6/2017 9:34:38 PM   
kevinkins

Feed back on the Scenario would be great from the guys who have downloaded ... don't be bashful.

Kevin

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 6
RE: Flash Scenario - "For Otto 2017" - 7/6/2017 11:20:58 PM   
ultradave

Anderson AFB has 2 hangers for the B-2's but that's all. I can't take off.
The Compass Call has no load out and can't take off or be assigned to a mission.

I'm proceeding on with the rest of my assets to check the rest :-)

Tanker shot down over South Korea before I made any aggressive moves or entered NK airspace. "You lose"

< Message edited by ultradave -- 7/6/2017 11:32:04 PM >

----------------
Dave A.
"When the Boogeyman goes to sleep he checks his closet for paratroopers"

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 7
RE: Flash Scenario - "For Otto 2017" - 7/8/2017 2:18:18 AM   
kevinkins

Oh boy. Thanks. I can't even blame that on being a rookie. The new file is posted above.

Kevin

(in reply to ultradave)
Post #: 8
RE: Flash Scenario - "For Otto 2017" - 7/8/2017 5:50:58 PM   
ultradave

Ok. I'll give it a new shot later today.

----------------
Dave A.

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 9
RE: Flash Scenario - "For Otto 2017" - 7/9/2017 11:15:51 PM   
ultradave

Ok, ran the b version and everything works for me. A few surprises that caught me out. Result = Disaster for me, although I did destroy palaces.

I think I see now what I would need to do to avoid the disaster :-) (no help to the crews shot down this time).

Maybe some will plan this out better than I did, but I think there will be a lot of disasters on the first go-round. That's ok, in my book, because there is nothing like the school of hard knocks to drive home a lesson. The second time, knowing what happened to me, I'd have a different plan, to see if I can "beat" the scenario.

----------------
Dave A.

(in reply to ultradave)
Post #: 10
RE: Flash Scenario - "For Otto 2017" - 7/14/2017 2:03:14 AM   
kevinkins

Hi Dave ... thanks for the second run through. The scenario is short allowing the player to try again if they are not happy with the first play through. Trying to find techniques to allow for fairly quick - far less than WW3 scenarios - that folks with tight schedules will enjoy.

Kevin

(in reply to ultradave)
Post #: 11
RE: Flash Scenario - "For Otto 2017" - 7/14/2017 2:45:06 PM   
ultradave

Yes. Now that I know a couple of spoilers, I would try a different plan. I like interesting and short with not an overwhelming number of units to monitor. It's a challenge to win without losses.

Could be I should have been smarter and expected what happened, but.... I wasn't :-)

----------------
Dave A.

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Flash Scenario - "For Otto 2017" Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI