Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

One last banzai (NJP vs Wagmr) Game Over

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> One last banzai (NJP vs Wagmr) Game Over Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
One last banzai (NJP vs Wagmr) Game Over - 2/26/2018 8:38:30 AM   
njp72

Hi all,

I wasn't intending to do an AAR but I will see how I go. Still finishing off my last game with TiemanJ who is a wonderful opponent and a fantastic guy, so I am a little time poor.

Nevertheless, once I made contact with my good friend and long time opponent Mike (wargmr) and proposed a game I found myself strangely excited at the prospect of another adventure.

There is a lot of history here; Mike and I have played two big games previously which were incredible fun right into 45 until he smashed me. Never been a dispute or a harsh word over all those years.

To the game specifics.

Sce 2 DBB

PDU-Off ( I never play on)

Historic start, realistic R&D, +/- 15 days for reinforcements.

Game rules: altitude limits 20K 42/ 25K 43/ 30K 44

PP points crossing borders, after that nothing really. We have played so much we don't need many.

The key question, where am I off to this time???? (happy to hear options)

Been to Oz and that worked quite well, got lost in India by its sheer enormity, Russia was fun and found the Pacific frustrating.

In all my games the preservation of KB has been quite essential at keeping the Allies honest into 45 but I have been vulnerable to deep invasions in early 44. My failure at properly defending the PIs and Formosa have hurt me on a number of occasions and something to be mindful of.

Points- I need them and plenty in 42. Never had a problem trapping and eliminating large amounts of allied ground forces but have really struggled to engage carriers in 42 and 43. In summary, I haven't been sinking enough ships in 42 and 43 to ensure I reach Aug 45 or later. I also want to gt some strat bombing points as well this time. Never had a problem as I recall with fuel, oil or even supply right up to the end. Its points damnit!

Anyway it will be plenty of fun and I will try to provide updates at least once per week.

< Message edited by njp72 -- 4/3/2018 11:04:33 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: One last banzai (NJP vs Wagmr) - 2/26/2018 9:01:44 AM   
njp72

Whilst I wait for turn 1 to be sent back, happy to discuss China.

The strategy below has never failed against a multitude opponents and knowing Chinese force dispositions very well by now, is very hard to defend against. Add in some armour bought in from Manchuria and the critical oil/ hex Sian should be mine in less than 30 days.

After that the Chinese defences start to unravel fairly quickly though taking Chungking is always a monster.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to njp72)
Post #: 2
RE: One last banzai (NJP vs Wagmr) - 2/26/2018 9:10:53 AM   
njp72

My other critical early move is making the Allied position in the DEI untenable.

I have never allowed Palembang be fortified in previous games and I don't intend to start now.

To me the critically enabling base is Singkawang- take that and things get hard for the allies very quickly. Need to have it secured in the first 5 days.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to njp72)
Post #: 3
RE: One last banzai (NJP vs Wagmr) - 2/26/2018 9:34:13 AM   
njp72

The key theatre objective is Batavia and I need to have it or at least be laying siege before Christmas.

Once it is secured, India, Ceylon and Perth can then be threatened.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to njp72)
Post #: 4
RE: One last banzai (NJP vs Wagmr) - 2/26/2018 9:56:25 AM   
njp72

First strike results at Pearl

Someone forgot to get the memo about using torpedoes in the shallow harbour

I have heard it happening in other games but this is the first it has occurred to me. Initially I was a little annoyed but I suspect the overall results might not be too bad. I note a few Kingfishers destroyed on the field so I suspect probably 2 BBs may have gone under.

- Repulse and Prince of Wales suffered minor torpedo hits but nothing major. Judging from the combat replay they may still be operational. Quite a few dud torpedo hits

Attachment (1)

(in reply to njp72)
Post #: 5
RE: One last banzai (NJP vs Wagmr) - 2/26/2018 12:30:06 PM   
Lowpe

Off to the races in a scenario two game. Good luck.

(in reply to njp72)
Post #: 6
RE: One last banzai (NJP vs Wagmr) - 2/26/2018 5:23:12 PM   
dennishe

Good Luck! I'll be following this one...

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 7
RE: One last banzai (NJP vs Wagmr) - 2/26/2018 9:19:16 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: njp72

My other critical early move is making the Allied position in the DEI untenable.

I have never allowed Palembang be fortified in previous games and I don't intend to start now.

To me the critically enabling base is Singkawang- take that and things get hard for the allies very quickly. Need to have it secured in the first 5 days.

Yep!

I agree completely.

Looking forward to seeing this one develop.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to njp72)
Post #: 8
RE: One last banzai (NJP vs Wagmr) - 2/27/2018 1:49:22 AM   
Bif1961

Looking forward to watching your AAR you are about 5 weeks behind me and yes I hit PH for 2 days and only one Kate squadron ever used torpedeos and I sank ZRERO BBs.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 9
RE: One last banzai (NJP vs Wagmr) - 2/27/2018 2:17:56 AM   
njp72

quote:

ORIGINAL: dennishe

Good Luck! I'll be following this one...

Thanks Dennishe great to see you back. Look forward to your thoughts.

(in reply to dennishe)
Post #: 10
RE: One last banzai (NJP vs Wagmr) - 2/27/2018 2:20:07 AM   
njp72

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

quote:

Yep!

I agree completely.

Looking forward to seeing this one develop.

Also great to have Obvert and Lowpe onboard, both of whom I have learnt so much from over the years. Gents, your comments and observations are always welcomed and appreciated.

< Message edited by njp72 -- 2/27/2018 2:24:05 AM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 11
RE: One last banzai (NJP vs Wagmr) - 2/27/2018 2:23:30 AM   
njp72

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bif1961

Looking forward to watching your AAR you are about 5 weeks behind me and yes I hit PH for 2 days and only one Kate squadron ever used torpedeos and I sank ZRERO BBs.

Thanks Bif, initially I was disappointed too with no torpedoes but after closely examining the combat report and looking at the Kingfishers destroyed on the ground, I am fairly sure 2 x BBs went down.

Normally I only ever get one even with torpedoes so all may be not lost. Still the BBs that weren't destroyed are likely to be serviceable a lot quicker due to the lack of flotation damage.

It all evens itself out like most things in this game.

(in reply to Bif1961)
Post #: 12
RE: One last banzai (NJP vs Wagmr) - 2/27/2018 11:43:17 AM   
Bif1961

My last game as the Allies I lost 3 at PH to a typical attack. So it does vary, the big difference in this game if they are sunk at PH they stay at PH.

(in reply to njp72)
Post #: 13
RE: One last banzai (NJP vs Wagmr) - 2/27/2018 2:09:01 PM   
ny59giants

As to your overall objectives for conquest, I look at what benefits you the most economically. So that may mean a short hook into SE India and maybe all of western Australia. If really want to get bold, then plan for ALL out conquest of Australia.

(in reply to Bif1961)
Post #: 14
RE: One last banzai (NJP vs Wagmr) - 2/27/2018 5:03:17 PM   
Lowpe

Take New Zealand and Alaska. Leave Oz alone.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 15
RE: One last banzai (NJP vs Wagmr) - 2/27/2018 5:05:44 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

quote:

Thanks Bif, initially I was disappointed too with no torpedoes but after closely examining the combat report and looking at the Kingfishers destroyed on the ground, I am fairly sure 2 x BBs went down.

Normally I only ever get one even with torpedoes so all may be not lost. Still the BBs that weren't destroyed are likely to be serviceable a lot quicker due to the lack of flotation damage.

It all evens itself out like most things in this game.

Torpedoes are nerfed and very disappointing. If you indeed sank 2 BB that is a very decent result. But you need to set your Zeroes on AF strike at 8-9K and save some of them.

(in reply to njp72)
Post #: 16
RE: One last banzai (NJP vs Wagmr) - 3/1/2018 10:48:48 AM   
njp72

Thanks guys, love some of the ideas. Something different would be good.

Turn 3 and having to make some decisions reference KB. Situation below with his 2 CVs fleeing southward after smashing up a small amphib tf.

Subs nearly nailed him. One hit is all I require to slow him down and then KB will feast on the cripple.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by njp72 -- 3/1/2018 11:23:38 AM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 17
RE: One last banzai (NJP vs Wagmr) - 3/1/2018 10:53:09 AM   
njp72

Pearl continued

Attachment (1)

(in reply to njp72)
Post #: 18
RE: One last banzai (NJP vs Wagmr) - 3/1/2018 11:01:05 AM   
njp72

Singapore

Mike knows me pretty well these days so instead of deception/feints (which I usually employ) I have massed my combat power to smash my way through.

Next turn should be a pretty big battle

If I fail next turn there is still plenty of ships and men to try again. There is no way I am going to let him reinforce the DEI or Singapore.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to njp72)
Post #: 19
RE: One last banzai (NJP vs Wagmr) - 3/1/2018 11:10:14 AM   
GetAssista

quote:

Is it Mersing or am I heading further south :-)

Without carrier cover in sight it is really easy to guess correctly Wonder if Mike would identify some ships as CVs though, this can throw him out of track

(in reply to njp72)
Post #: 20
RE: One last banzai (NJP vs Wagmr) - 3/1/2018 9:46:05 PM   
njp72

quote:

ORIGINAL: GetAssista

Without carrier cover in sight it is really easy to guess correctly Wonder if Mike would identify some ships as CVs though, this can throw him out of track

Now where would be the fun in that Besides Allied 500 pounders from their main airbases Singapore etc at that range (not torps) aren't likely to do much except scratch some paint on the big boys.

Surface forces are more of a threat but at the end of the day only a couple of Dutch DDs turned up to be sank.

On a sadder note his CVs appear to have gotten clean away.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 21
RE: One last banzai (NJP vs Wagmr) - 3/1/2018 11:35:26 PM   
Bif1961

So was this just a Johnston Island foray or a bigger plan to take the Line Islands to force him the longer way around to bring reinforcements to Pago-Pago, Suva, NZ and OZ axis?

(in reply to njp72)
Post #: 22
RE: One last banzai (NJP vs Wagmr) - 3/2/2018 12:50:23 AM   
njp72

quote:

So was this just a Johnston Island foray or a bigger plan to take the Line Islands to force him the longer way around to bring reinforcements to Pago-Pago, Suva, NZ and OZ axis?

Yep correct, I wanted the Line Islands to keep him guessing, force additional logistical hardship and importantly remove his search coverage. You can get them very cheaply now in Dec 41 but the logistics of keeping them in supply will be a nightmare.

I only really plan on holding them for 3 to 4 months. When he moves to take them back he will have to expose some nice assets to subs or whatever I can scrape together at the time.

(in reply to Bif1961)
Post #: 23
RE: One last banzai (NJP vs Wagmr) - 3/2/2018 6:36:11 PM   
AlessandroD

Interesting idea but I would be worried because you are within B-17 range, very likely your base will be out of business in few days.

(in reply to njp72)
Post #: 24
RE: One last banzai (NJP vs Wagmr) - 3/2/2018 11:30:51 PM   
Bif1961

You wouldn't need Jonhston to force him to take the long way around. You could do that with taking Palmyra and Christmas Islands, which would leave you out of B-17 range from Hawaii. You would just need to take baker and Canton behind them and fall back on them once he decided to make a real effort to take them. They would make good forward sub bases and allow you to invest PH with subs for a much longer time.

(in reply to AlessandroD)
Post #: 25
RE: One last banzai (NJP vs Wagmr) - 3/3/2018 12:17:29 AM   
njp72

quote:

ORIGINAL: AlessandroD

Interesting idea but I would be worried because you are within B-17 range, very likely your base will be out of business in few days.

He doesn't have a huge amount of them to begin with and I suspect Allied players don't like risking them against a heavily fortified airbase filled with elite Zeros. Most of the time they are off using their range to bomb ports or undefended amphib taskforces or recently captured oil centres.

< Message edited by njp72 -- 3/3/2018 12:19:40 AM >

(in reply to AlessandroD)
Post #: 26
RE: One last banzai (NJP vs Wagmr) - 3/3/2018 12:19:20 AM   
njp72

quote:

You wouldn't need Jonhston to force him to take the long way around. You could do that with taking Palmyra and Christmas Islands, which would leave you out of B-17 range from Hawaii. You would just need to take baker and Canton behind them and fall back on them once he decided to make a real effort to take them. They would make good forward sub bases and allow you to invest PH with subs for a much longer time.

Yes good point but I want Johnston in case I do something against the Hawaii Islands.

I haven't made up my mind yet but it is a long way from Japan!

(in reply to Bif1961)
Post #: 27
RE: One last banzai (NJP vs Wagmr) - 3/3/2018 12:25:26 AM   
njp72

Been slowed down over the last 2 turns as Mike sortied quite a few surface taskforces against my forces around the DEI.

The results have been relatively inconclusive with the butchers bill being: Allied 1x CA, 2 x CLs, 1x DD vs IJN 2 xDDs, approx 2-3 low valued PBs, 2 xAks and some mine sweepers.

Both sides were lucky and unlucky. Allies couldn't seem to get past one particular SAG which stopped them hitting more valuable amphib taskforces. But they also got lucky by avoiding some powerful SAGs in the same hex.

Need to consolidate a turn or two before recommencing the push. But if anything I will now accelerate rather than slow down

(in reply to njp72)
Post #: 28
RE: One last banzai (NJP vs Wagmr) - 3/3/2018 12:31:17 AM   
njp72

This surface group performed brilliantly in holding off multiple Allied TFs

Attachment (1)

(in reply to njp72)
Post #: 29
RE: One last banzai (NJP vs Wagmr) - 3/3/2018 12:31:57 AM   
njp72

Round 2

Attachment (1)

(in reply to njp72)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> One last banzai (NJP vs Wagmr) Game Over Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI