Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

2 days per turn; it is an effective way to play?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> 2 days per turn; it is an effective way to play? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
2 days per turn; it is an effective way to play? - 8/26/2017 10:32:08 PM   
wga8888

it will take 4 years to complete my fast game of WITP (some days multiple days per turn, due to opponent being in Australia and I am in the US, one turn by day is the typical for a 1350 turn campaign game). My slow game, Opponent sends a turn every 8-20 days, I will run out of lifespan to likely see mid 1943 to see the start of my USN offensive (I only continue as opponent;s plan was to win by conquering India and ignoring the Pacific, wanted to see if I could defend Karachi, which in WITP is the end of the world).

So if I were to start a game of AE at this point in my life, is playing 2days per turn viable? Perhaps air/TFs in a bad situation will be completely destroyed by the 2nd day before a player could intervene?

In the old DOS Pacific War, turns are a week with many naval and air phases perhaps occurring as TFs move, and one land phase. but Uncommon Valor, WITP, and AE; a multi-day turn is just cycling the individual day cycle. Pacific War may be the most efficient use of time for a complete campaign game, although players do not get to control everything.

Bill Thomson
wga8888@icloud.com
Discord: wga8888 #7339
817-501-2978 CST [-6 GMT]
Post #: 1
RE: 2 days per turn; it is an effective way to play? - 8/26/2017 10:51:34 PM   
BillBrown

Some players require/demand to play 2 day turns. It makes it a somewhat different game when you do not have day by day control. It is completely viable.

(in reply to wga8888)
Post #: 2
RE: 2 days per turn; it is an effective way to play? - 8/26/2017 11:00:41 PM   
witpqs

The people who like two-day turns like them. I will only play one-day turns.

We finished a PBM a few months ago from Dec 7, '41 to late July, '45 and it took us 5 years and 2 months. If you think about it that's less than 1 dog year.

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 3
RE: 2 days per turn; it is an effective way to play? - 8/27/2017 3:00:00 AM   
IdahoNYer

I've always been a big fan of the 2day turns, whether against the AI or in PBEM. Current game with L_S_T started almost 3yrs ago. With 2 day turns we're in Aug 43. Can't imagine this with daily turns and life getting in the way of doing a turn every so often.

But the other aspect I like in two day turns is that it makes one a bit more cautious. Taking a risk with daily turns can be painful if the risk goes bad, with two day turns, it can be a real nightmare. So you think twice, which to me adds a bit of added realism to the game.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 4
RE: 2 days per turn; it is an effective way to play? - 8/27/2017 9:34:58 PM   
kbfchicago

I am a proponent of 2 day cycles. For AI it provides another (very slight) edge to even the game up a bit (AI plans every day). For PBEM requires you to plan and commit to those plans. Adds an additional abstraction layer to the game mitigating (to a small degree) micro-management. You will find using way points is critical, especially for CV TFs (I believe way points are still not recommended for bombardment TFs...something about messing up the "run and gun" logic built into the game). Additional benefit is speeding the game along, not the only and not the best reason to play 2 day cycles.

Reflecting what the esteemed witpqs wrote, turn cycle preference for many is a religion. Mine is the 2 day cycle, respect those who play 1 (very few seem to play 3) but I won't play any other way. Kevin

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> 2 days per turn; it is an effective way to play? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI