Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Leader bonus or penalty in ground combat

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Leader bonus or penalty in ground combat Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Leader bonus or penalty in ground combat - 9/4/2017 1:59:48 PM   
jwolf

How exactly is this determined? Or is it deliberately kept, at least to some extent, hidden? Does it depend only on your side's leader, or is there a comparison of some sort with the enemy leader as well?

In my latest turn in my game as Allies vs. Japanese AI, I had the following two combats, both deliberate attacks of one Allied division against various Japanese units:

1. At Temuloh (Malaya), 11th East African division, commanded by MGen Charles C. Fowkes
2. At Aitape (New Guinea), 25th US division, commanded by MGen Robert B. McClure

Their ratings are as follows, Fowkes first and McClure second:

Leadership 67 64
Inspiration 59 58
Admin 68 73
Aggression 42 61
Land 71 68

Fowkes got a leader bonus in his combat, while McClure got a penalty. I'm not seeing a whole lot of difference between them except in the aggression category where McClure is clearly superior. What's going on?
Post #: 1
RE: Leader bonus or penalty in ground combat - 9/4/2017 3:20:51 PM   
BBfanboy

Not sure, but I opine:
- could be a comparison with the enemy's leadership and they had cracker-jack leaders in the 80s-90s. In naval battles the leaders are compared to determine things like initiative and crossing the "T".
- your leaders could have been on the disabled list from malaria. If 10% of your troops are listed as disabled, that should affect the leader 10% of the time.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 2
RE: Leader bonus or penalty in ground combat - 9/4/2017 4:25:29 PM   
jwolf

Ah, never thought of the malaria possibility. So McClure, who really looks at least decent if not pretty good, might be out of his mind with fever while his 2nd in command is a loser or an incompetent political "addition" to his staff.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 3
RE: Leader bonus or penalty in ground combat - 9/4/2017 6:56:54 PM   
Alpha77

I think (guess) the leader +/- does not apply to the unit leaders directly but indicates if there is an HQ present that gives you a boost (you would get a + in this case, if no HQ(s) you would get a -)

Ex, if you have a corpse HQ prepping for the target base in 1 hex distance and/or an army HQ which has I believe 5 hex range.

< Message edited by Alpha77 -- 9/4/2017 6:57:49 PM >

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 4
RE: Leader bonus or penalty in ground combat - 9/4/2017 8:13:23 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alpha77

I think (guess) the leader +/- does not apply to the unit leaders directly but indicates if there is an HQ present that gives you a boost (you would get a + in this case, if no HQ(s) you would get a -)

Ex, if you have a corpse HQ prepping for the target base in 1 hex distance and/or an army HQ which has I believe 5 hex range.

Is that for a zombie division?

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 9/4/2017 8:14:21 PM >

(in reply to Alpha77)
Post #: 5
RE: Leader bonus or penalty in ground combat - 9/4/2017 8:44:35 PM   
Grfin Zeppelin

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alpha77

Is that for a zombie division?

Chinese troops.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 6
RE: Leader bonus or penalty in ground combat - 9/5/2017 12:37:26 AM   
GetAssista

In my LCU AV tests that I described here, there were a couple observations:
1. Both leaders(+) and leaders(-) only showed up if there was no land HQ of any type in the hex. No matter preparation of HQs or LCUs.
2. With all commander stats at 60, leaders(+) was there in ~60% cases, and leaders(-) in ~40% cases. Could appear at the same time too, for the same LCU. Don't know which particular stat is related to the bonus frequency though

(in reply to Grfin Zeppelin)
Post #: 7
RE: Leader bonus or penalty in ground combat - 9/6/2017 2:49:18 PM   
Lokasenna

I'm going with:

Bad dice roll.

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 8
RE: Leader bonus or penalty in ground combat - 9/6/2017 11:24:06 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

I'm going with:

Bad dice roll.

+1

Pax

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Leader bonus or penalty in ground combat Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI