Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Pearl Harbor

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Pearl Harbor Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Pearl Harbor - 5/26/2001 5:11:00 AM   
x6ftundx_slith

Anyone seen it yet? I saw it today and thought it was very good (I don't care what the critics said)... I do have a question... Are there any scenarios (real or not) that anyone know of for the invasion of pearl harbor? Commando Solo

Post #: 1
- 5/26/2001 5:51:00 AM   
Bing

First of all, Pearl was not invaded. Strafed, bombed, torpedoed, yes. Invaded, no. If you mean a wargame, Mr. Grigsby did one of the all-time classics years ago with his Pacific War, which is available in all its revised glory via Matrix Games. Warning: If you thought the learning curve for SPW@W was steep, you ain't seen nothin' until you try GGPW for the first time. I'll stick with Tora, Tora, Tora as a Pearl Harbor movie, it has everything Hollywood war movies before and since do not have. Plus an excellent cast. What makes Tora3 truly unique is that it is a SERIOUS war movie, from Hollywood no less. We even get Yamamoto confiding his life would be in danger if he did not go thru with the Pearl Harbor attack - which happens to be historically correct, the young officer fanatics probably would have killed him. Bing

"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -
From the 101st Airborne Division Association Website

(in reply to x6ftundx_slith)
Post #: 2
- 5/26/2001 6:19:00 AM   
Reg

We had a bit of discussion on the historical accuracy at work. The general consensus appeared to be it was a good movie but the were a few things that were bound to irritate the historical purists (and reflected on the researchers). Several things that emerged were, green colour schemes on the Zeros (they were white at the time), 70s vintage destroyers blowing up and sinking, modern gun turrets in the closeups etc. Leave your historical expectations at the door and enjoy the movie. Reg.

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

Post #: 3
- 5/26/2001 9:44:00 AM   
Randy

I saw Pearl Harbor today also. I think the bombing scenes were more realistic than in Tora3. My dad was at Pearl Harbor during the attack (USS Tennessee)and I don't know how he survived that day! I cried during the attack sequence. There were some historical mistakes such as the destroyers, the M35 deuce and a half, and the historical sequence showing the German invasion of France and they showed an M26 Pershing. But that aside, I'd highly recommend the movie. The motto of the Pearl Harbor Survivors Association: Keep America Alert!! Semper Fi Randy

Semper Fi
Randy

The United States Marines: America's 911 Force-The Tip of the Spear

Post #: 4
- 5/26/2001 10:53:00 AM   
Wild Bill

No, it was far from totally historical, especially the Doolittle Raid. BUT...for a movie on Pearl Harbor it was spectacular for entertainment and making the battle live. I had tears in my eyes as I saw the destructiveness of the attack. Watching the Arizona (?) simply lift out of the water and break into in a gigantic explosion was quite moving for me. Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

Post #: 5
- 5/26/2001 11:30:00 AM   
Alby

Totally disappointed, just got home from seeing it, I think the actual pearl harbor segment was 30 minutes out of a three hour movie. totally predictable plot, girl falls for guy, thinks he is killed, then guys best friend moves in, then guy isnt dead, returns,gets the shaft, then best friend is killed, back to original guy for the girl...ssssh. The battle scenes were good altho, no ship had a name on it?? Guess that was the arizona that blew in half?? And did not depict how some tried to make it out of the harbor, but had to beach. DID NOT even mention in the movie from either side that our carriers were not at pearl during the attack!!! Kinda important part to omit id say! DID see some previews about new movie coming out called "windtalkers", About the marines and the use of Navajo indians as "codetalkers" My dad speaks of them often as he was in the signal comp, 3rd marine Division in WW2 Looked decent. [ May 26, 2001: Message edited by: Alby ] [ May 26, 2001: Message edited by: Alby ]

Post #: 6
- 5/26/2001 12:47:00 PM   
BomBeer

Commando Solo do you mean a hypothetical Pearl Harbor Invasion scenario for SPWaW? I don't know if anyone have made one, but it sounds interesting.

IYAAYAS

Post #: 7
- 5/26/2001 1:13:00 PM   
Randy

I think in Steel Panthers 1 there is a scenario about a hypothetical invasion of San Francisco! (When the Japanese found out that San Francisco was home to the Hippies they gave it back and left!) Semper Fi Randy

Semper Fi
Randy

The United States Marines: America's 911 Force-The Tip of the Spear

Post #: 8
- 5/27/2001 11:54:00 PM   
Wild Bill

While interesting, I think the invasion of Midway might be even more so and much more possible, historically. I did one on that theme in another version of SP but I think I'll give this one a try in SPWAW...WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

Post #: 9
- 5/28/2001 2:31:00 AM   
x6ftundx_slith

Glad I could give you the thought Wild Bill... I'll also be happy to playtest it if and when it becomes available... Commando Solo

Post #: 10
- 5/28/2001 11:26:00 AM   
Graf Speer

totally predictable plot, girl falls for guy, thinks he is killed, then guys best friend moves in, then guy isnt dead, returns,gets the shaft, then best friend is killed, back to original guy for the girl...ssssh. Thanks, Alby . . . now I don't have to wonder about even how this trite triangular affair turned out :) For me it sounds too "hollywood" and I think I too would prefer renting Tora Tora Tora again for a more serious film about a terrible day in American history. Albert

Post #: 11
- 5/28/2001 11:57:00 AM   
Bonzo

Is it just me, or were some of the actors portraying the Japanese senior officers also in Tora Tora Tora? I thought I saw 3 or 4 familiar faces, though showing the years. The story line was a bit silly. The acting a bit over-wrought. They took a lot of cinematic technology (and Sergeant Horvath) from SPR and used it over, and over, and over.....ad nauseum in the (many) strafing scenes. The audience in the theater I was in spent a large portion of the movie laughing, Which, I guess, would make this a romantic comedy. Sad really. This movie could have been much better if it had not tried to cover so many events (Battle of Britain, Pearl Harbour & the Doolittle Raid) with so gew characters. Wait for this one on video if you haven't gone already.

Robert (Bonzo) Lindsay, Webmaster 28th (North-west) Battalion Headquarters Main http://www.nwbattalion.com E-mail

Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Pearl Harbor Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI