Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Minimum follow distance?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Minimum follow distance? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Minimum follow distance? - 10/23/2017 5:34:50 PM   
jmax

I'd like to have AI subs on ASW patrol/strike missions track and trail unfriendly subs from a distance to avoid detection—anyone have any suggestions for how to do this? Best idea I've come up with so far is to create a No-Nav Zone relative to the unit being trailed, but it's... less than ideal.
Post #: 1
RE: Minimum follow distance? - 10/23/2017 6:06:09 PM   
thewood1

Could you use just one relative reference point? Or maybe two that give enough distance for the sub to turn back and forth? I have never played around with it.

(in reply to jmax)
Post #: 2
RE: Minimum follow distance? - 10/23/2017 6:08:03 PM   
Gunner98

Have not tried this in game but it works well in the editor.

Set up 4 reference points relative to the unit being followed. Create a patrol or support mission and assign your unit stalking to that mission.

May need to experiment which mission is best but I'm thinking an ASW patrol mission, that does not allow the unit to prosecute targets outside that patrol zone might work. Almost like keeping the rabbit away from the greyhounds.

B

(in reply to jmax)
Post #: 3
RE: Minimum follow distance? - 10/23/2017 9:10:11 PM   
jmax

Thanks for the replies.

Hmm, a small ASW patrol mission pinned to the tail of the unfriendly sub could work with a script to assign the following sub to the mission once its detected. I'll give that a try and see how it works...

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 4
RE: Minimum follow distance? - 10/24/2017 1:27:21 AM   
thewood1

My only issue with using a polygon as a patrol zone is that your trailing sub will keep turning away from the enemy sub. Using only two might minimize that.

(in reply to jmax)
Post #: 5
RE: Minimum follow distance? - 10/24/2017 5:55:48 PM   
jmax

I didn't realize you could create a valid patrol zone with only two reference points, but apparently you can... the tailing sub is acting strangely, though. Not sure if it's related but it won't stick to its mission's transit/station depths and keeps rising to the surface before diving back to mission settings.

The answer may have been under my nose this whole time, however... I noticed you can set "Attack distance" in mission settings, though this causes frequent course/speed adjustments that can give it away to the sub being tailed, and no longer restricts the tailing sub to its baffles...

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 6
RE: Minimum follow distance? - 10/24/2017 6:27:46 PM   
thewood1

I think you can actually create a single ref point patrol. The main issue you are going to have using zones of any kind is the trailing sub is going to want to circle around it. This is actually something I wanted to play around with anyway and will try it also to see if I see the same issues.

(in reply to jmax)
Post #: 7
RE: Minimum follow distance? - 10/24/2017 6:47:49 PM   
Gunner98

Also have not done this, but what if you set the patrol speed to match the speed of the quarry? Wouldn't the patrolling unit keep pace within the patrol box. Am away from the game for a while, so cannot check.

B

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 8
RE: Minimum follow distance? - 10/24/2017 8:04:02 PM   
thewood1

I was thinking the same thing. I'll give it a shot.

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 9
RE: Minimum follow distance? - 10/24/2017 8:28:08 PM   
jmax

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gunner98

Also have not done this, but what if you set the patrol speed to match the speed of the quarry? Wouldn't the patrolling unit keep pace within the patrol box. Am away from the game for a while, so cannot check.

Yes, I figure I'll write a script to match speed, shouldn't be too hard. If the quarry moves, however, the tailing sub will still go the waypoint before changing course, so will likely want to make the patrol area as small as feasible.

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Minimum follow distance? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI