Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Scenario Design BOOK TIME!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Scenario Design BOOK TIME! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Scenario Design BOOK TIME! - 10/31/2017 1:55:10 PM   
John 3rd

There is a long-running Thread in the regular Forum about books to buy for Christmas. The list contains all sorts of great books to build on, expand, and add to people's knowledge regarding the Pacific. It got me to thinking that we, as Modders, should do the same thing.

What are books that you believe are ESSENTIAL to accurately designing a Mod? Add a sentence or two for why it is useful to Modders.

As books are added, I shall develop categories and update a Master List that will then be placed within this Thread.

Here are some examples:

US Navy
Friedman's US Navy: Battleships, Carriers, and Cruisers. Bought the BB book--it is EXCELLENT. Just ordered, off Ebay, the Carriers work. All his books are tres expensive but serve as GREAT resources for differing designs that the Fleet went thru. Great for hypotheticals that are accurately recreated for Mods.

The Treaty Period
John Jordan Warships After Washington Covers all five major navies in their respective class building work. Not hugely detailed but very useful as an overview of the Fleet years 1922-1936.

Japanese Navy
Evans and Peattie Kaigun A loud DUH follows the posting of this book!

Jentschura Warships of the Imperial Japanese Navy, 1869-1945 Excellent one-volume work on the Kaigun.

Specialty Ship Classes
Layman and McLaughlin The Hybrid Warship: The Amalgamation of Big Guns and Aircraft Pet subject of mine. LOVE the Inter-War designs for combining aircraft and fighting wessels.

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 10/31/2017 2:01:39 PM >

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/
Post #: 1
RE: Scenario Design BOOK TIME! - 10/31/2017 5:46:03 PM   
Kursk1943

Imperial Japanese Navy Air Units
Ikuhiko Hata and Yasuho Izawa Japanese Naval Aces and Fighter Units in World War II translated by Don Cyril Gorham

enables Japanese modders to ensure that the correct unit is correctly equipped at the right place led by the correct leader ... according to the start date of the modded scenario. Also helpful when veryfying stock scenarios.

< Message edited by Kursk1943 -- 10/31/2017 5:52:34 PM >

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 2
RE: Scenario Design BOOK TIME! - 10/31/2017 8:53:45 PM   
decourcy2

I would add Empires in the Balance by Wilmott. Invaluable book for a strategic look at the starting situation.

(in reply to Kursk1943)
Post #: 3
RE: Scenario Design BOOK TIME! - 11/1/2017 7:15:09 AM   
Kursk1943

Allied/Japanese Ground and Air Units
MajGen S. Woodburn Kirby History of the second World War: The War against Japan, Volume I-V

All about events in Malaya, Java, Burma and India; composition and availability of ground and air units of both sides; all about logistics, infrastructure and their developments. All about decision making and alternatives from the Allied point of view. Also includes lots of stuff about Chinese forces as far as Burma is concerned.

(in reply to decourcy2)
Post #: 4
RE: Scenario Design BOOK TIME! - 11/1/2017 3:24:25 PM   
John 3rd

Kursk's two Posting are books I do not have. Will take a good look at them. (Reaching for wallet...)

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Kursk1943)
Post #: 5
RE: Scenario Design BOOK TIME! - 11/2/2017 4:54:40 AM   
Ian R

ALL Navies:

Conways All the World's Fighting Ships. Naval Institute Press.

The 1926-45 volume suffices for most purposes, but for a mod like John III's you would want the 1906-1925 volume as well.

Rene Greger's book on battleships, Battleships of the World is also good across all navies, and gives some details missing from Convoys - details on successive interwar rebuilds, rebuilds planned but not ever carried out, etc.

IJ aircraft

René J. Francillon's Japanese Aircraft of the Pacific War .

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 6
RE: Scenario Design BOOK TIME! - 11/2/2017 6:02:14 AM   
John 3rd

Francillon's is fantastic. Wanted to see what players tossed out for the air war side of mod work.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 7
RE: Scenario Design BOOK TIME! - 11/2/2017 2:52:34 PM   
decourcy2

I would warn that Francillon was sloppy and his book, while ubiquitous, is full of errors.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 8
RE: Scenario Design BOOK TIME! - 11/2/2017 7:05:15 PM   
anarchyintheuk

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

US Navy
Friedman's US Navy: Battleships, Carriers, and Cruisers. Bought the BB book--it is EXCELLENT. Just ordered, off Ebay, the Carriers work. All his books are tres expensive but serve as GREAT resources for differing designs that the Fleet went thru. Great for hypotheticals that are accurately recreated for Mods.

I'm more than willing to support Norm's donut habit.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 9
RE: Scenario Design BOOK TIME! - 11/7/2017 8:02:51 PM   
Ian R

Economics

For those wanting to mod the IJ economy I suggest the following 4 books to get an overall view of output constraints, and what is reasonably feasible without heading into fantasy land:

John Ellis : Brute Force + his companion statistical summary.

Richard Overy: Why the Allies won

Paul Kennedy - Rise and fall of the great powers

Alan Milward - War, Economy and Society

I remember when I first read Milward's book about 35 years ago ( it was published in 1980 IIRC), it looked like James F Dunnigan had read an advanced draft when he designed the production systems for SPI's War in Europe. Or at least the same source material Milward had.

One of the most interesting points about the analyses in these books, particularly Kennedy and Milward, is that the US never transformed to a full war economy - even in mid 1943 when war production orders peaked. Even so the 30% of what was produced that was sent to the Pacific was three times as much as the IJ ever managed. Had it been needed, the US could have taken its other hand out from behind its back and upped military output further.

Edit: For the first three, you only need to read a chapter or 2. Milward, read the whole book.

< Message edited by Ian R -- 11/7/2017 8:05:54 PM >

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to anarchyintheuk)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Scenario Design BOOK TIME! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI