Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Looking for information on STANAVFORLANT and STANAVFORMED

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Looking for information on STANAVFORLANT and STANAVFORMED Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Looking for information on STANAVFORLANT and STANAVFORMED - 11/5/2017 1:08:59 AM   
Mgellis

I am looking for information on the two standing NATO naval forces, STANAVFORLANT (now known as Standing NATO Maritime Group 1) and STANAVFORMED (now known as Standing NATO Maritime Group 2).

What I am trying to find is a history, archive, or whatever would list the orders of battle for these two groups at different points in history. Who was in STANAVFORMED in 1983? Who was in STANAVFORLANT in 1974? That sort of thing. Considering that these were operations involving half-a-dozen warships and millions of dollars, there have to be records of it somewhere. Shouldn't there at least be copies of the memos telling captains, "Oh, by the way, your ship will be part of STANAVFORMED for the next six months, so you may want to brush up on your Italian." ??? But I can't find very much. I am stumped. The best I've been able to do is find a few orders of battle for a couple of years (e.g., a .pdf of a cruise book here and there on the web). But nothing for the others.

Any ideas or suggestions? Histories of NATO's naval forces? Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Post #: 1
RE: Looking for information on STANAVFORLANT and STANAV... - 11/5/2017 8:58:21 AM   
AlGrant

quote:

Who was in STANAVFORMED in 1983?

If you're looking for NATO force in the Med during the 80's, try looking for NAVOCFORMED (Naval On-Call Force Med).
NATO only established SNFM during the early 90's.

I think NAVOCFORMED was only activated when required (2 or 3 times per year), rather than being a fulltime standing force.

Some links that might be of use:

NAVOCFORMED https://archive.is/dp5O#selection-63.37-63.91

NAVOCFORMED 2/88 (Image) http://www.fregatte-koeln.de/Kartensammlung/Fahrten-1988.jpg

SNFL 1979 (Image) http://www.fregatte-koeln.de/Kartensammlung/1979-SNFL-Luebeck.jpg

Edit to add ......
NAVOCFORMED 1979 participants:

"During the course of the activation the NAVOCFORMED ships visited Taranto Brindisi Cagliari and La Spezia in Italy and Toulon France The force was deactivated in La Spezia Participating ships were the ITS Alpino TCG Gayret HMS Active and USS Peterson DD 969k"

....I was on HMS Active for this tour (fresh out of training!).
As I remember TCG Gayret sailing early from La Spezia in order to conduct a death sentence! (by hanging)

NAVOCFORMED 1984 participants:

"In 1984, Brumby deployed to the Mediterranean and Indian Ocean returning in November 1984. Brumby was selected to join the 29th activation of NATO's Naval On Call Force – Mediterranean (NAVOCFORMED), a predecessor to Standing NATO Maritime Group 2. The force was activated at Ancona, Italy and included the Italian frigate Alpino, the Turkish destroyer Piyalepasa (ex-Fiske), HMS Brazen (F91) and the Greek destroyer Sachtouris (ex-USS Arnold J. Isbell (DD-869))"

< Message edited by AlGrant -- 11/5/2017 2:08:18 PM >

GOD'S EYE DISABLED.

(in reply to Mgellis)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Looking for information on STANAVFORLANT and STANAVFORMED Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI