Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Counter Values added in CV Editor wear the wrong label in Status bar

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Tech Support >> Counter Values added in CV Editor wear the wrong label in Status bar Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Counter Values added in CV Editor wear the wrong label ... - 11/30/2017 3:28:55 PM   
aperfecturkel

EDIT: good deal, looks like there were already reports that I had missed. Thanks JPJ for the point.

Hey guys, I wanted to report something that's making it kind of hard to know exactly what I'm looking at on screen here:

1. In Player Options, I "Edit Counter Values" and selected the Advanced Defaults
2. In-game, as I click through the unit counter options, all of the new options share the same two labels on the tooltip/status bar:

-- "Unit icons currently show attack and defense strengths." (shows for strengths; but also railroad repair and engineering, and fording values)
-- "Unit icons currently show movement allowances." (in the case of actual movement allowances AND the Unit Time Stamp)

I would expect the tooltip/status bar to tell me what I actually have selected - but with certain options sharing the exact same values on most units (0 0, for example, in the case of Engineering/RailRep and Minor/Major Fording), I find myself having to click through the options until I re-find the default Unit Strength/Defense option and count from there.

I believe I can see why it's not changing the labels - the icon on the button for cycling through the options only seems to have two states, so I'm assuming if the icon on the button doesn't change then the tooltip wouldn't either. I can also tell why this would probably be hard to fix: given the fact that the possible counter values can by changed by the user, creating an icon of every combination is arduous. If this were the case, I would think using the FIRST value to determine the button icon/tooltip label would be a decent compromise? I'd be interested to see others' input.

Now, I know, I know...it's not impossible to tell what I'm actually looking at with a little effort, but - there's information being conveyed on-map that isn't being accounted for by the UI elements, and that seems...off. And either way, I'm pretty green when it comes to grognard hex games BUT I have the ambition to learn, so if I'm finding it tricky and not-optimal, I can imagine those with less patience getting frustrated. I love the game, and want it to be accessible to new players! I've come to Matrix (and my god, now own what feels like half the catalog...) by way of Steam, so I promise - there are definitely untapped potential fans out there.

And I could always use more people to kick my ass in PBEM.

< Message edited by aperfecturkel -- 11/30/2017 10:15:51 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Counter Values added in CV Editor wear the wrong la... - 11/30/2017 9:46:25 PM   
JPJ

quote:

ORIGINAL: aperfecturkel

1. In Player Options, I "Edit Counter Values" and selected the Advanced Defaults
2. In-game, as I click through the unit counter options, all of the new options share the same two labels on the tooltip/status bar:

-- "Unit icons currently show attack and defense strengths." (shows for strengths; but also railroad repair and engineering, and fording values)
-- "Unit icons currently show movement allowances." (in the case of actual movement allowances AND the Unit Time Stamp)

That is a known issue with Advanced counters,
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4387667

(in reply to aperfecturkel)
Post #: 2
RE: Counter Values added in CV Editor wear the wrong la... - 11/30/2017 10:13:21 PM   
aperfecturkel

Ah, thanks buddy - budd's thread title didn't lead me to think it was the same issue so I never clicked, and I didn't see anything about it in the stickied "known issues" thread, so figured (though was surprised if this were the case) I was the first to notice and call it out.

(in reply to JPJ)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Tech Support >> Counter Values added in CV Editor wear the wrong label in Status bar Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI