Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Cringe factor

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Cringe factor Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Cringe factor - 6/10/2003 12:36:22 AM   
Elrod

Hello again. So am I the only one here who is finding this game has a very high "Cringe factor"? What I mean by that is that your pluggin along and all is well and them BAM! the black box says there is an air raid inbound to your CV group.

The screen changes and as the first group of 4 SBD's rolls over and heads down toward the CV, the flak starts popping, the bombs start whistling and I find myself tightening up and cringing in my seat awaiting the results.

I'm probably the only one but who knows.

John
Post #: 1
Mines - 6/10/2003 12:54:40 AM   
mogami

Hi, I often jump into the air when one of my ships (or an enemy ship) hits a mine. I also grip the arms of my chair when an enemy surface force appears at on of my base where only transports are sitting. (I've gotten to where I now assign a CA/CL and several DD directly to my transports)

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to Elrod)
Post #: 2
- 6/10/2003 1:56:56 AM   
Enforcer

I cringe all the time... But lately I have been having good luck.. In scenario 15 vs Scot Donovan

my 2 CV groups - TF1- Akagi Kaga Soryu and Hiryu TF2- Shokaku Zuikaku Shoho and Zuiho Stealthed our way to about 300 mi N of Noumea and Caught the Enterprise Yorktown Hornet and Lexington... after the 2 days of attacks were over

Soryu light damage
Shoho light damage

Enterprise Sunk
Yorktown Sunk
Lexington Sunk
Hornet Heavily Damaged I think

I may be wrong about which one is still afloat but 3 were sunk

and yes as the SBD's were over the carriers I was cringing!!!

But I had 80% cap up and both carrier groups in the same hex...
about 97 fighters on the first attaclk

(in reply to Elrod)
Post #: 3
- 6/10/2003 1:57:51 AM   
Philwd

Oh yeah. My cringing starts when I see SBDs scouting my TFs and my carriers are just a little too far away :( . Of course cringing then gives in to a stream of expletives. :D

Quark

(in reply to Elrod)
Post #: 4
Re: Cringe factor - 6/10/2003 2:08:58 AM   
Von Rom

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Elrod
[B]Hello again. So am I the only one here who is finding this game has a very high "Cringe factor"? What I mean by that is that your pluggin along and all is well and them BAM! the black box says there is an air raid inbound to your CV group.

The screen changes and as the first group of 4 SBD's rolls over and heads down toward the CV, the flak starts popping, the bombs start whistling and I find myself tightening up and cringing in my seat awaiting the results.

I'm probably the only one but who knows.

John [/B][/QUOTE]

Hehe

Just wait until you are ready to land that invasion force and it gets jumped by an enemy surface fleet - ouch!

And if you enjoy leaving the animations turned on (I do for the carrier and surface actions), then wait until you get locked into naval surface actions involving up to 40+ ships. These can last up to 20-30 minutes and you will be biting your nails. . .

This doesn't include those carrier battles where almost anything can happen. . .

Welcome to "Cringe Factor". . .

(in reply to Elrod)
Post #: 5
- 6/10/2003 2:29:24 AM   
CapAndGown

I cringe when I see a untouched section of 9 SBDs stacked up over one of my carriers. I cheer when one is blown out of the sky before being able to drop. I cringe when the splashes begin. I moan when the first bomb hits. I sigh in relief when it is only that one bomb that connects. I get down and say thanks to God when another section of SBD's decides they are going to attack a DD rather than one of my flat tops. I cringe when the next section of SBD's come after the carrier that has already been hit. I stand in awe when a TBD actually hits one of my ships. I breath a sigh after it is all over and only 2 of my carriers have been hit. And I wait with baited breath to see how my return strike fares.

(in reply to Elrod)
Post #: 6
- 6/10/2003 3:10:28 AM   
Mike_B20

I haven't got any fingernails left and have permanent *cringe* lines on my face.
I keep hoping the wind won't change in the middle of a cringe
(apparently the cringe then becomes permanent).

Never give up, never surrender

(in reply to Elrod)
Post #: 7
- 6/10/2003 4:22:26 AM   
wobbly

My girlfriend thought I was a nice guy. However, I have shown that my understanding of the english language encompasses the foulist of its capacities.
This usually walks hand in hand with UV, incoming air attack, my resting most of my fighters this turn. You get the SBD scouts CV reports and there is that awful sphincter tightening moment; then the bombs start falling and out comes the invective. Unfortunately for my girlfriend the computer is close to the kitchen and the TV room - she gets front row seats :D

(in reply to Elrod)
Post #: 8
- 6/10/2003 5:27:58 AM   
Drex

I read somewhere that the "cringe factor" is good for the stomach muscles: everytime a wave of B-17s come in. or one of your capital ships pops up in a sub's periscope view - you get the picture. this constant tightening is as good or better than going to the gym. After two years of UV we all should have washboard abs! (or hemmorhoids).

(in reply to Elrod)
Post #: 9
- 6/10/2003 5:43:49 AM   
Raverdave

My wife has got used to the strange sounds and hardly ever comes in any more. She say the most disturbing sounds (aside from the swearing and crying) is those that I make which sounds like I am taking a dump and constipated!:rolleyes:

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

(in reply to Elrod)
Post #: 10
Raverdave - 6/10/2003 6:03:28 AM   
mogami

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Raverdave
[B]My wife has got used to the strange sounds and hardly ever comes in any more. She say the most disturbing sounds (aside from the swearing and crying) is those that I make which sounds like I am taking a dump and constipated!:rolleyes: [/B][/QUOTE]

Hi, I have placed bugs in the homes of all possible opponents.
Here is what Raverdave sounds like.

You will need to rename the file to anything.wav (you can't attach wav files.

Attachment (1)

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to Elrod)
Post #: 11
- 6/10/2003 6:11:17 AM   
Mr.Frag

Thats what happens when you take your laptop to the deep thoughts room :D

(in reply to Elrod)
Post #: 12
- 6/10/2003 6:42:20 AM   
Sonny

I always leave the animations on just for that reason - that tense excitement of battle. My most cringing moments are when the Kates have made it through my CAP.

(in reply to Elrod)
Post #: 13
- 6/10/2003 7:05:49 AM   
Admiral DadMan

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Enforcer
[B]I cringe all the time... But lately I have been having good luck.. In scenario 15 vs Scot Donovan

my 2 CV groups - TF1- Akagi Kaga Soryu and Hiryu TF2- Shokaku Zuikaku Shoho and Zuiho Stealthed our way to about 300 mi N of Noumea and Caught the Enterprise Yorktown Hornet and Lexington... after the 2 days of attacks were over

Soryu light damage
Shoho light damage

Enterprise Sunk
Yorktown Sunk
Lexington Sunk
Hornet Heavily Damaged I think

I may be wrong about which one is still afloat but 3 were sunk

and yes as the SBD's were over the carriers I was cringing!!!

But I had 80% cap up and both carrier groups in the same hex...
about 97 fighters on the first attaclk [/B][/QUOTE]I scuttled [I]Hornet...[/I]

It's gonna be a lonnnnng 180 turns...

Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

(in reply to Elrod)
Post #: 14
- 6/10/2003 8:14:58 AM   
crsutton

Yes, the only time I really cringe is when one of my carriers gets stalked by a sub. Hit or miss, there is no other smell like the stink of fear emanating from your own armpits.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Elrod)
Post #: 15
- 6/10/2003 11:10:17 AM   
Luskan

Real men don't cringe!
They swear often, and cry occaisionally.

Gesticulating wildly at the screen shouting "LAUNCH LAUNCH LAUNCH YOU ****ERS!" or blubbering "Why didn't my BBs fire back?????" or more often "What mines???"

or most often "50 of my ships hit mines, and another 50 were torpedoed by enemy subs/level bombers and the remnants were sunk by an enemy surface combat tf and my CVs did't do a thing to stop it . . . Must be FOW . . . yeah that is it, fog of war . . ." followed closely by
"Must be a bug!!!!!!! Those bloody Japanese don't fly B17s - and even the allies can't shoot them down, and these IJN carrier launched B17s don't carry six torpedoes each and certainly if they did couldn't launch them from 33 thousand feet and score 6 hits every time!!! not to mention the bug that has all enemy mines mines magnetic and all my hulls also magnetic - and is a direct result of the bad historical representation of this class of warship which actually had extra super strength 12 inch steel triple-ply anti-mine armour which was proven to resist any mines or enemy torpedoes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
"This game sux. (sob, whimper)."

:D

With dancing Bananas and Storm Troopers who needs BBs?

(in reply to Elrod)
Post #: 16
- 6/10/2003 4:29:37 PM   
Admiral DadMan

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Enforcer
[B]I cringe all the time... But lately I have been having good luck..

...But I had 80% cap up and both carrier groups in the same hex...
about 97 fighters on the first attaclk [/B][/QUOTE]First there was, "Oh crap, my strike is getting slaughtered."

Then there was me screaming, "[B]"WTF?!?!?!? WHERE'S MYCAP?"[/B]

(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

(in reply to Elrod)
Post #: 17
- 6/11/2003 2:39:18 AM   
Snigbert

[B]You get the SBD scouts CV reports and there is that awful sphincter tightening moment[/B]

I refer to that as the 'pucker factor'.

"Money doesnt talk, it swears. Obscenities, who really cares?" -Bob Dylan

"Habit is the balast that chains a dog to it's vomit." -Samuel Becket

"He has weapons of mass destruction- the world's deadliest weapons- which pose a direct threat to the

(in reply to Elrod)
Post #: 18
- 6/11/2003 2:47:49 AM   
Von Rom

The transformation of the loving, devoted Family Man into the beast known as "WARGAMER":

The happy Family Man heads to the computer room with a coffee.

"Hmm," he thinks to himself, "I think I'll fire up UV and play for an hour or two before my favourite TV program comes on."

Casually leaning back in his chair, the Family Man turns on the computer, clicks on the UV icon, loads his scenario, and soon the familiar screen of the South Pacific appears, emiting a warm glow.

"I want to surprise the Japanese, so I think I'll send my carriers to this sector," the Family Man whispers as he takes a sip of coffee and clicks the mouse button. "Hehe, I've planned the perfect trap. . ."

Having carefully planned all his moves, the Family Man clicks the turn button.

"What?! No, no, no. . . I don't want my carriers to move THERE. Damit! I forgot to put the CV TF on "Do Not React" and "Retirement Allowed". Now it's heading directly into waters covered by Japanese airpower. M***** F****** stupid commander - why would he DO THAT!"

"Did you say something dear?" the Family Man's wife shouts from the living room.

The Family Man, with eyes squinting, draws closer to the computer screen, and stares in disbelief as swarms of Japanese planes, coming from several carriers and land-based airfields, target his exposed carriers. He grabs his coffee, attempts to take a gulp, but misses his mouth, and hot java splatters onto his shirt and keyboard.

"Damit!"

Swarms of Japanese planes swoop down upon his carriers. They are met by fighters on CAP.

The Family Man grabs his stomach as THAT pain once again makes itself felt in the pit of his stomach. "Stop those bastards!"

"Is anything wrong dear?" his wife shouts.

The Family Man, oblivious to all, stares slack-jawed at the disaster unfolding before his incredulous eyes.

"What?!! I lost 39 fighters and the Japs only lost 8 fighters and 5 bombers?!! WTF!!!"

The Family Man pounds the desk with his right fist, striking its sharp edge.

"S***!!! That hurt!"

"What was that noise dear?"

The Japanese planes, having broken through his CAP, now head for his exposed carriers.

The dull pain in the Family Man's stomach grows with each passing second, and he stares in disbelief as dozens of enemy planes fall upon his beloved carriers.

"NOOOO!"

Plane after plane swoops down upon his carriers, some bombs splash harmlessly, while others explode with a vengeance upon the carrier decks. . .

"M***** F******!!!"

The Family Man, his face turning red, sprays expletives across the computer screen, pounds the desk again, then grabs the arms of his chair as though struggling with a living thing. . .

"What's with the perfect aim?! There are other ships in that task force besides carriers! Do they bomb destroyers? NoOoo. They go after the carriers. Where's all the AA??? Who trained those F*****??!!"

"Dear, is everything OK?" His wife's voice is distant, lost in the background of battle.

More Japanese planes swoop down upon his carriers, more bombs explode, more expletives are issued. . .

"Where are all these Jap planes coming from?? Why aren't more Jap planes going down??? Something's wrong with the AA values!! Ack, Ack should rip right through those flimsy Jap planes. Bastards!!"

"Dear, your TV program is starting," his wife shouts.

The Family Man, with beads of sweat on his forehead, his face contorted, and his hands clenched in an ever-tightening grip, shouts out "Later!"

In agonizing pain, the Family Man watches in horror as carrier after carrier sinks into the blue Pacific taking every plane they carried with them. He had forgotten to keep his carriers near a friendly base so their planes would have an airfield to land on, should their carrier be sunk. . .

After another 15 minutes, the Family Man, exhausted, humbled, his shirt stained, and rubbing his sore right hand, emerges from the computer room.

His wife looks at him and shakes her head. "Why do you do this to yourself every night?"

"Why?" he mutters. "Because I am a Wargamer. And I LOVE it."

(in reply to Elrod)
Post #: 19
- 6/11/2003 3:46:46 AM   
Mike_B20

Excellent Von Rom:D

We can all identify with that.

Particularly like the bit,
"He grabs his coffee, attempts to take a gulp, but misses his mouth, and hot java splatters onto his shirt and keyboard."

:D

Never give up, never surrender

(in reply to Elrod)
Post #: 20
- 6/11/2003 3:51:45 AM   
Admiral DadMan

That one brought a tear to me eye... (as I ROTFLMAO)

And so for your reading pleasure,

KING HENRY V
..ACT III
...SCENE I

[QUOTE]KING HENRY V:
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more;
Or close the wall up with our English dead.
In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
As modest stillness and humility:
But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
Then imitate the action of the tiger;
Stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood,
Disguise fair nature with hard-favour'd rage;
Then lend the eye a terrible aspect;
Let pry through the portage of the head
Like the brass cannon; let the brow o'erwhelm it
As fearfully as doth a galled rock
O'erhang and jutty his confounded base,
Swill'd with the wild and wasteful ocean.
Now set the teeth and stretch the nostril wide,
Hold hard the breath and bend up every spirit
To his full height. On, on, you noblest English.
Whose blood is fet from fathers of war-proof!
Fathers that, like so many Alexanders,
Have in these parts from morn till even fought
And sheathed their swords for lack of argument:
Dishonour not your mothers; now attest
That those whom you call'd fathers did beget you.
Be copy now to men of grosser blood,
And teach them how to war. And you, good yeoman,
Whose limbs were made in England, show us here
The mettle of your pasture; let us swear
That you are worth your breeding; which I doubt not;
For there is none of you so mean and base,
That hath not noble lustre in your eyes.
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!"[/QUOTE]

(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

(in reply to Elrod)
Post #: 21
- 6/11/2003 4:09:14 AM   
Philwd

Von Rom,
Ok. Where's the camera? That sure sounded like me last night. Except instead of carriers it was poor defenseless transports with humanitarian supplies :( .

Quark

(in reply to Elrod)
Post #: 22
- 6/11/2003 9:12:34 PM   
Sonny

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Quark
[B]Von Rom,
Ok. Where's the camera? That sure sounded like me last night. Except instead of carriers it was poor defenseless transports with humanitarian supplies :( .

Quark [/B][/QUOTE]

You forgot to paint the Red Cross on those humanitarian ships.:D

(in reply to Elrod)
Post #: 23
That's why God - 6/11/2003 10:22:50 PM   
boomboom

invented the restart button.After I stop cringing I give the middle finger salute and hit the restsrt button.

I'm boomboom.I don't want to control the sea.I ain't no calvery general[horses stink].I don't want to fight the next world war.I want to go back to dog patch,and fall in love.

(in reply to Elrod)
Post #: 24
don't forget chanting... :-) - 6/12/2003 1:33:07 AM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

Please don't forget chanting when bombs and/or torpedoes and/or shells start
to fall: "Miss... Miss.. Miss... MISSS... GODDAMNED!!!"

:-)

Leo "Apollo11"

(in reply to Elrod)
Post #: 25
- 6/12/2003 4:44:46 AM   
Admiral DadMan

or when an S-boat fires on a CV, and you're yelling "Nail it! Nail it! Awww..."

(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

(in reply to Elrod)
Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Cringe factor Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI