Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Strategy Review

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Strategy Review Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Strategy Review - 6/5/2001 5:39:00 AM   
DFourthHorseman

Hi. No matter what some people say, the AI in SPWAW isn't smart at all. Here are ways that I defeat them (or people new to SPWAW). -Sometimes I would flank them with paratroopers and infilrators. This is especially useful against some human players, who would place all their units at the border during defend and delay battles, and some would place 20 artillery pieces into 5 squares. So when I play on hard or medium, in a engage battle, I'll time it to about the 10th turn where I'll need some distraction, just 2 platoons will take over the rear victories, making the AI turn back, exposing their rear to me :) . This has worked over and over as long as you time when the troops come in. -The AI can't seem to use the concept of smokes very well. Here's what I do, on any map, but defend and delay are the best examples, it only works on high visibility battles. If you turn the thing to hard, you'll be in trouble. I like playing as the US because of 0.1 priority fire. So I get about 2/3 of my units in d front, the other are reserves. When the enemy come, since the AI sends all his halftracks in the front, once a good amount is in the front, I fire the smokes between the halftracks and the tanks. Now I can kill all the tracks in a turn without interruption from the enemy tanks. Do this as often as you can, retreat when neccessary. Finally, counterattack with the reserves by going south, another point I like to make. -The AI almost always attack on the north and center, the south is usually free, more or less. So I always get some plts, especially when theres a road there, to go all the way to end of the map and then attack from the flank, killing artilleries, retreating units, and also capturing the victory hexes. There are tons of ways to defeat AIs, a lot comes from real wars. But don't you see how easy it is? It has also come to my attention that the game doesn't allow one important strategy that was used during WW2 if I am correct, I read it somewhere. During WW2 the Germans conquered so much land so quickly not because of their firepower or mass, but their speed. Whenever the leading armor units came to a defended town, they moved around it and let the infantry that follows do the work, this way, the enemy would not have time to put up ataquet defenses before they came. But in SPAW, lets say a low visibility assault battle, when I capture all the hexes with my fast armor with little loss, I shouldnt be forced to go back to the front line and search for the infantries who are just waiting to kill a nice juicy tank. So when I do that, I get losses that could have been avoided. Thanks Ruibing

Post #: 1
- 6/5/2001 6:56:00 AM   
Jack

I think the game is best played against a humane oppenent. But if you have to play against the AI, when you know that there are people out there who want to play, who's fault is it?

(in reply to DFourthHorseman)
Post #: 2
- 6/5/2001 9:36:00 PM   
ruxius

You are right ,but you seem to ignore what does it mean programming the AI in a strategy game...the AI should keep in mind ,compare variables and states of the execution,parameters...but remember that human creativity is still superior to AI...AI wins in speed of calculating and memory capability..not in processing ability..That's why AI always looses...the programmers can only arrive at a certain point...here it's not a matter of accuracy in fire.. The only very high level of AI I ever found was that one used in Starcrat...combined to authomatical moving of units that AI was very powerful..StarCraft's AI reacts as circumstances change..and use appropriate weapons and tactics depending on what you are using..try to believe.. However play against humans..and also do not reveil your tactics.. And you will be happy.. [ June 05, 2001: Message edited by: ruxius ]

Italian Soldier,German Discipline!

(in reply to DFourthHorseman)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Strategy Review Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI