Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Crispy vs Sugar - Mini AAR

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> After Action Reports >> Crispy vs Sugar - Mini AAR Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Crispy vs Sugar - Mini AAR - 4/5/2018 2:41:41 AM   
crispy131313

As per request from Taxman66 I will host a mini AAR, but I do not think against an opponent like Sugar I can give too much away so updates will likely be vague and sporadic

I will go ahead and declare myself the underdog having never played the vanilla scenario against anyone, but I'm not a true rookie either having put many hours into Fall Weiss II. So without further adieu I wish Sugar good luck!

Attachment (1)

Post #: 1
RE: Crispy vs Sugar - Mini AAR - 4/5/2018 2:56:06 AM   
crispy131313

1939 Summary

Poland
Poland surrendered in 2 turns after a well executed attack by Sugar.

Soviet Union
The Soviets have taken no part in the conflicts across Europe, having never crossed the Polish border and not beginning any hostilities towards Finland. The Western Allies (France & Britain) quickly took notice and began a bidding war to bring the Soviets closer to the Allies and have the USSR prepare for a future war with Germany. Across the first 6 turns (3 for each side) a whopping total of 1,550 MPP were spent on diplomacy. Only the Western Allies have benefited thus far (USSR>Allies 12%) which has led the Soviets to hold steady at 40% mobilization since the 2nd turn of the match which has been a boost to MPP collection.

Luxembourg
Germany marched into the small nation early September 1939.

Atlantic
Axis raiding in the Atlantic is minimal and likely only the starting units, the Allies are aggressively raiding the Norwegian convoys to Germany.

France
Only minor skirmishes along the Maginot line.

(in reply to crispy131313)
Post #: 2
RE: Crispy vs Sugar - Mini AAR - 4/5/2018 3:11:35 AM   
KorutZelva

quote:

ORIGINAL: crispy131313

1939 Summary

Poland

Soviet Union
The Soviets have taken no part in the conflicts across Europe, having never crossed the Polish border and not beginning any hostilities towards Finland. The Western Allies (France & Britain) quickly took notice and began a bidding war to bring the Soviets closer to the Allies and have the USSR prepare for a future war with Germany. Across the first 6 turns (3 for each side) a whopping total of 1,550 MPP were spent on diplomacy. Only the Western Allies have benefited thus far (USSR>Allies 12%) which has led the Soviets to hold steady at 40% mobilization since the 2nd turn of the match which has been a boost to MPP collection.

Luxembourg

Atlantic
Axis raiding in the Atlantic is minimal and likely only the starting units, the Allies are aggressively raiding the Norwegian convoys to Germany.

France

Don't know if that's balzy or reckless to surrender the whole of Poland to spare 5% of USSR mobilisation!

That's quite steep a price to surrender such an advanced launching pad as well as giving extra early income to Germany...

Post #: 3
RE: Crispy vs Sugar - Mini AAR - 4/5/2018 3:25:06 AM   
crispy131313

quote:

ORIGINAL: KorutZelva

quote:

ORIGINAL: crispy131313

1939 Summary

Poland

Soviet Union

Luxembourg

Atlantic

France

Don't know if that's balzy or reckless to surrender the whole of Poland to spare 5% of USSR mobilisation!

That's quite steep a price to surrender such an advanced launching pad as well as giving extra early income to Germany...

As a stand alone activity yes, as part of a focused strategy perhaps not.

(in reply to KorutZelva)
Post #: 4
RE: Crispy vs Sugar - Mini AAR - 4/5/2018 7:08:45 PM   
BillRunacre

Good luck!

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/

Post #: 5
RE: Crispy vs Sugar - Mini AAR - 4/5/2018 10:36:15 PM   
Sugar

***********************Sondermeldung***********************

Breaking-News from the french frontier

After the occupation of an empty Nancy by paras during the previous turn, the enemy decided to retreat the whole Maginot-Line. In the following turn another french mine, the Fortresses of Metz and Mühlhausen, and the city of Strassburg returned into the Reich. The Saar-Mine immediately began to restore production:

[image][URL=http://www.bild.me][/URL][/image]

Another para occupied Auxerre to hinder french withdraw and threaten the city of Dijon. No british engagement so far, and also no allied air engagements.

End of report

My esteemed opponent failed to succeed with his strategy so far, and with Italy joining the same turn and immediately investing into counter-diplo, the threat of his well calculated strategy will diminish.

(in reply to BillRunacre)
Post #: 6
RE: Crispy vs Sugar - Mini AAR - 4/6/2018 3:22:47 AM   
crispy131313

The Fall of France

France
The French were soundly defeated at Paris in July 1940 and the Axis set up the Vichy French Administration. German losses were minimal.

USSR
The Soviets are currently at 52% mobilization (185 MPP collected last turn). The Western Allies scored 2 diplomacy hits since the beginning of the war totaling 21%.

Egypt
The Italians hold within Libya, 3 Armies and a Tank are spotted near Tobruk during Allied supply line harassment activities.

Operation Catapult
The UK showed their unwavering support for the Free French by launching a swift and expanded operation catapult which has led to the capture of Algiers and the surrender of the Vichy Algerian state.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Sugar)
Post #: 7
RE: Crispy vs Sugar - Mini AAR - 4/6/2018 8:47:50 AM   
room

Interesting! What is the goal of taking Algeria? Does that restore France and you can use its diplo chits? Is it only to hinder the prospect of axis Spain?
There must be something, it's costly to SU and US mobilization, is it not?

Post #: 8
RE: Crispy vs Sugar - Mini AAR - 4/6/2018 1:31:22 PM   
KorutZelva

quote:

ORIGINAL: room

Interesting! What is the goal of taking Algeria? Does that restore France and you can use its diplo chits? Is it only to hinder the prospect of axis Spain?

It ain't too bad on the mobilization side of things (except of Vichy France) if I recall. Main benefit I see is that you free up the UK navy for service elsewhere because the threat of a amphibious landing is lesser since the Axis wouldn't be able to snipe it with a flash landing vs the understrenght Vichy corp.

< Message edited by KorutZelva -- 4/6/2018 3:17:44 PM >

(in reply to room)
Post #: 9
RE: Crispy vs Sugar - Mini AAR - 4/6/2018 3:19:51 PM   
KorutZelva

Really like Crispy strategy so far... but would love it even more if he still went into Western poland. 47% Mobilization would not be too shabby and the road to Moscow would be that much longer! The USSR need the space to trade for time to get all those tech chits to convert!

Did you march into the baltic states to increase your income at no mobilization loss or did you stand pat to keep your Siauliai barbarossa units safer near Ostrov?

< Message edited by KorutZelva -- 4/6/2018 4:39:39 PM >

(in reply to KorutZelva)
Post #: 10
RE: Crispy vs Sugar - Mini AAR - 4/6/2018 5:00:14 PM   
crispy131313

quote:

ORIGINAL: room

I can't truly give away my mindset midgame sorry! France was not restored, Vichy Algeria only surrendered. The Soviets did not care a lick what happened in Algeria (makes sense).

quote:

ORIGINAL: KorutZelva

Really like Crispy strategy so far... but would love it even more if he still went into Western poland. 47% Mobilization would not be too shabby and the road to Moscow would be that much longer! The USSR need the space to trade for time to get all those tech chits to convert!

Did you march into the baltic states to increase your income at no mobilization loss or did you stand pat to keep your Siauliai barbarossa units safer near Ostrov?

Yes USSR marched into the 3 Baltic States to increase our income and to make up for the lost space in Poland. Thanks for the comments.

September 1940

Action is focused in the Mediterranean where Allied supply raids continue to focus on Tobruk. Malta is occupied in one swift attack from Southern Italy and in response the British continue their systematic undoing of the Vichy Administration, as Free French and British forces launch a joint attack against Vichy Syria. Free French forces occupy Damascus and Syria surrenders. After witnessing such a swift attack in the Middle East will Iraq still consider a future coup?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to KorutZelva)
Post #: 11
RE: Crispy vs Sugar - Mini AAR - 4/6/2018 5:30:50 PM   
Sugar

quote:

The Soviets did not care a lick what happened in Algeria (makes sense).

If this makes sense according to the DoW-System is one question, on the other hand Vichy also doesn't care too much in case their Axis' "friends" are doing the same. Nothing to complain about imho.

Post #: 12
RE: Crispy vs Sugar - Mini AAR - 4/7/2018 3:43:49 AM   
Ktonos

I guess Algeria is occupied to be fortified and later deny the Axis the option to bring Franco into the fold.

(in reply to Sugar)
Post #: 13
RE: Crispy vs Sugar - Mini AAR - 4/8/2018 2:30:04 PM   
crispy131313

July 1941

The Eastern Front
The Axis declared war on the Soviet Union in June 1940, Soviet Resistance has been fiercest in Ukraine. The only significant city to fall so far is Minsk, the Luftwaffe is only partially present. The Soviets have Level II Tanks and are currently on par with the Germans in that regard. Yugoslavia surrendered to Italy in July 1940 after their coup and a rather small force of mainly Germans slowly advanced through the nation.

Mediterranean
Egypt will likely surrender this turn and Algiers has been captured, but the Allies continue to hold secure at Casablanca to keep Franco at bay. I must say I am quite disappointed at the sheer power of German Bombers in the 1939 vanilla version they had fully taken over the North African campaign.

(in reply to Ktonos)
Post #: 14
RE: Crispy vs Sugar - Mini AAR - 4/8/2018 4:48:17 PM   
Sugar

There were never more than 3 german tac. and the ital. med. bomber in Libya. The predictions against a brit. recon unit, equipped with AA 2, were 2:1, and 1:1 in case of the experienced bomber. I guess your defense was a little bit too weak alltogether.

The side effect of the choosen strategy is a significantly higher german income, the reason for the delayed action against Yugoslavia was the hungarian joining not before May 41.

Post #: 15
RE: Crispy vs Sugar - Mini AAR - 4/8/2018 5:00:06 PM   
KorutZelva

Eastern Poland + Vichy France is a lot of free mpp.

(in reply to Sugar)
Post #: 16
RE: Crispy vs Sugar - Mini AAR - 4/8/2018 5:49:40 PM   
Sugar

Vichy is neutral. And not only the Germans are strong, but also the Russians. 3 heavy tanks at lvl 2 with 2 attacks are not too bad in early 41 I guess, and since this scenario is unknown to me (and I was too lazy to read the manual), several of the initial units survived.

The race to Casablanca is not yet decided and US war readiness is growing (66%). Another side effect of this strategy is that I`m forced to react, I can't simply leave Algeria to the Brits.

In case of the Brits that also meant they had to split their effort, I hope they will be too weak on both sides of the Med.

(in reply to KorutZelva)
Post #: 17
RE: Crispy vs Sugar - Mini AAR - 4/8/2018 6:39:40 PM   
KorutZelva

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sugar

Vichy is neutral. And not only the Germans are strong, but also the Russians. 3 heavy tanks at lvl 2 with 2 attacks are not too bad in early 41 I guess, and since this scenario is unknown to me (and I was too lazy to read the manual), several of the initial units survived.

The race to Casablanca is not yet decided and US war readiness is growing (66%). Another side effect of this strategy is that I`m forced to react, I can't simply leave Algeria to the Brits.

In case of the Brits that also meant they had to split their effort, I hope they will be too weak on both sides of the Med.

I know there's an event that let the Axis occupies Vichy France in the event that Algeria is conquered... but if you weren't offered it then maybe there's other conditions (like USA being in the war or some other date).

(in reply to Sugar)
Post #: 18
RE: Crispy vs Sugar - Mini AAR - 4/8/2018 7:50:22 PM   
Sugar

quote:

De 637 – germany: occupy vichy france? (vichy france is pro-Axis) § event fires: When Vichy France is pro-Axis but neutral, Algeria is in Allied hands, Paris, Dijon and Nancy are in Axis hands, and there is either a British or US unit within 6 hexes of Algiers. § cost of accepting: 75 MPPs. § yes: Germany occupies Vichy France, with a Garrison unit deploying at Marseilles. There is an 80% chance of the French scuttling their ships, and this is tested separately against both elements of the Vichy fleet (the Provence Battleship and Jean de Vienne Light Cruiser) so that either or both might be scuttled. If any ships aren’t scuttled, then the UK will receive them in Algiers. § no: If Vichy France is neutral when the Allies liberate Paris, it will have a 50% chance of swinging 15-25% towards the Allies in every subsequent turn.

Obviously no allied unit within 6 hexes of Algier.

It's late sept., USA are at 69%. The weather will undoubtly have a significant impact on the outcome of the race.

(in reply to KorutZelva)
Post #: 19
RE: Crispy vs Sugar - Mini AAR - 4/8/2018 8:46:59 PM   
Azhraden

Hello,

Very interesting AAR...

could you post a map of the eastern front ?

Thanks

Azh

(in reply to Sugar)
Post #: 20
RE: Crispy vs Sugar - Mini AAR - 4/8/2018 9:17:00 PM   
crispy131313

quote:

ORIGINAL: Azhraden

Hello,

Very interesting AAR...

could you post a map of the eastern front ?

Thanks

Azh

Here is a map of the eastern front (units removed).

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Azhraden)
Post #: 21
RE: Crispy vs Sugar - Mini AAR - 4/8/2018 9:27:27 PM   
crispy131313

September 23, 1941

The Eastern Front

Germany continues their slow but steady march forward into Soviet territory (see above image). The Axis have many of it's strongest units fighting in North Africa still which could be delaying their advance. The Soviets already display Infantry II, Tanks II, Anti-Air II and are beginning to form stronger defensive positions as reinforcements take the field.

Middle East

Germany has captured all of the abandoned British colonies and have liberated Syria.

Algeria

The Axis are massing in Algeria in what may be a gambit to capture Casablanca and sway Franco to join the Axis. Air reconnaissance reports:

Attachment (1)

Post #: 22
RE: Crispy vs Sugar - Mini AAR - 4/8/2018 10:29:54 PM   
Sugar

To be precise, the german-italian battlegroup is consisting of 2 HQs, 4 fighters, 3 med. and tac. bombers each, 1 mar. bomber, 1 tank, 2 paras and the whole Regia Marina. Probably better used here than in russian winter.

German income has reached 967 MPPs/turn, US's leaning is 72%, Spain's 52% (didn't notice any hit so far, only those 2 by events).

Post #: 23
RE: Crispy vs Sugar - Mini AAR - 4/8/2018 11:10:28 PM   
Harun

So, the primary goal is to get Spain with that much airpower!

Also, interesting counter by crispy. Exciting AAR, guys.

(in reply to Sugar)
Post #: 24
RE: Crispy vs Sugar - Mini AAR - 4/8/2018 11:31:30 PM   
Sugar

The early victory in Egypt makes Spain probably a bit obsolete, but beside that, Gibraltar's strategic meaning is evident. As I mentioned, I simply can`t ignore Algeria in Allie`s hands, and if I have to do it anyway, I'll try anything to secure success.

The RM is necessary to secure the fragile supply route, and the Luftwaffe to secure the RM. At least someone has to destroy defending units, 2 paras aren't able to do it within reasonable time.

(in reply to Harun)
Post #: 25
RE: Crispy vs Sugar - Mini AAR - 4/9/2018 12:34:59 AM   
Sugar

Turns out to become a very stoney road - for both opponents. A german mar. bomber sunk a brit. carrier, detected by a nearby sub, without any losses. The defenders of Fez are also destroyed, but the para retreats in view of the brit. tank force.

(in reply to Sugar)
Post #: 26
RE: Crispy vs Sugar - Mini AAR - 4/9/2018 4:36:26 AM   
Sugar

Current situation: 2 of the brit. tanks are destroyed, as well as one of their HQs. The appearing of an am. strat. bomber shows the happening during Chrispy's turn: USA joined the Allies early dec.. I'm expecting my esteemed opponent to immediately invest all the am. Chits into Spain, providing him with a chance of 20%/turn to decrease Franco's pro Axis' leaning. Since it`s taking an additional turn for the DE to fire, the race will continue.

German income has reached 1050 MPPs/turn with the developement of the 5. stage of industial research. Russian Winter has happened.

(in reply to Sugar)
Post #: 27
RE: Crispy vs Sugar - Mini AAR - 4/9/2018 8:23:18 AM   
room

Spain is on the verge, close and fascinating chapter of this war.

(in reply to Sugar)
Post #: 28
RE: Crispy vs Sugar - Mini AAR - 4/9/2018 8:47:01 AM   
KorutZelva

USA can only invest 2 chits in spain iirc. If both sides are at max chits, then the Axis as a 1% chance per turn to sway Spain.

(in reply to room)
Post #: 29
RE: Crispy vs Sugar - Mini AAR - 4/9/2018 11:03:46 AM   
PvtBenjamin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sugar

Current situation: 2 of the brit. tanks are destroyed, as well as one of their HQs. The appearing of an am. strat. bomber shows the happening during Chrispy's turn: USA joined the Allies early dec.. I'm expecting my esteemed opponent to immediately invest all the am. Chits into Spain, providing him with a chance of 20%/turn to decrease Franco's pro Axis' leaning. Since it`s taking an additional turn for the DE to fire, the race will continue.

German income has reached 1050 MPPs/turn with the developement of the 5. stage of industial research. Russian Winter has happened.

11 Axis air groups in the mountains of Morocco, the realism abounds. Thank you for proving my many posts on the mass air limitations of the game. Folks if you want to know why Sugar wins this is it in one picture. I really hope the developers are reading this.

< Message edited by PvtBenjamin -- 4/9/2018 11:13:26 AM >

(in reply to KorutZelva)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> After Action Reports >> Crispy vs Sugar - Mini AAR Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI