Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - no devoncop please

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - no devoncop please Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - no dev... - 1/5/2018 5:08:24 PM   
warspite1

A new PBEM will be shortly underway.

devoncop will take the part of the foul, smelly, evil Axis, while I shall assume the roll of the righteous Commonwealth and their Allies.

This will be Campaign For North Africa, starting with the Italian invasion of Egypt. Fog of War will be set to ON and so this thread is unavailable to devoncop (he can of course look at the other AAR to get whatever tips he can glean from that game).

I will be doing the AAR from a CW perspective.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 2/1/2018 7:00:56 AM >

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

Post #: 1
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 1/5/2018 5:16:13 PM   
Olorin

Subscribed

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 1/5/2018 5:43:22 PM   
Zecke

Malta 8 Green¡...ahh, golf..what i great game to Bet since first hole; rest and never pass hole 2; comingback to the whisssky-Bar

if i ever lern...

Yes¡; new AARR¡ this is going to be followed

Attachment (1)

Epsilon Eridani

(in reply to Olorin)
Post #: 3
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 1/5/2018 8:57:08 PM   
warspite1

I get a message from my opponent to say he has completed his turn. I go into the game and am greeted with this, so I guess I should sit back and watch me a movie :

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Olorin)
Post #: 4
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 1/5/2018 9:02:19 PM   
warspite1

Turn 1 - Axis Turn
18th September 1940

Mussolini invades Egypt!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 1/5/2018 9:34:31 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 5
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 1/5/2018 9:38:46 PM   
warspite1

Turn 1
18th September 1940

The majority of the CW forces are reorganising - either in the Nile Delta or Alexandria. There are 5 air units, 3 fighters and 2 bombers, but only one of Hurricanes. To assist the withdrawal of British troops from 'the wire' the squadrons will all be ordered to stand-by - fighters on air superiority and bombers on combat support.

The British aim to conduct a fighting withdrawal. How far back is anyone's guess at this stage....

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 1/5/2018 9:47:13 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 6
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 1/5/2018 10:03:51 PM   
Zorch

Any house rules? Such as do-overs if the entire Tobruk garrison gets withdrawn?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 7
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 1/5/2018 10:06:15 PM   
warspite1

Turn 1
18th September 1940

Well that's a bit rubbish. I'm going to lose units of the 1st Royal Tank Regiment and the Royal Horse Artillery because they cannot move... Ho hum.

I order three blockading forces - a mix of tanks and/or artillery and infantry on the coastal road, and the tracks to the south at Buq Buq, Sofafi and El Hamra. I give orders to dig-in and make the Italians pay for every inch of ground....

Note, these pictures are pre-the digging-in/ignore losses order

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 1/5/2018 10:11:40 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 8
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 1/5/2018 10:10:32 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

Any house rules? Such as do-overs if the entire Tobruk garrison gets withdrawn?
warspite1

Hadn't thought of introducing any house rules to be honest. We'll see how this pans out and I'm sure if we need to do something then we can.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 9
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 1/6/2018 5:56:08 AM   
warspite1

Turn 2 - Axis Turn
21st September 1940

It looks like I have not ordered the pull back far enough in the south and the Italians have been easily able to surround my forces there without the need for a potentially costly attack.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 1/6/2018 6:26:04 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 10
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 1/6/2018 6:08:16 AM   
warspite1

Turn 2
21st September 1940

Situation Report

Game News
Italian Shock Penalty = 8%
Italian Air Shock Penalty = 6%

Army Unit Availability
A number of units - Australians, British and Polish - have arrived in the Nile Delta, but these are all reorganising. The Indians at Mersa Matruh are also reorganising, meaning that essentially I have the 7th Armoured Division (plus a few other units) to work with.

Navy Unit Availability
Nil

Air Force Availability
I still have the five units available (I am going to call them squadrons as its easier) and numbers are:

Hurricane a: 14 aircraft out of 24
MS 406: 2/2
Gladiator: 24/24
Blenheim a: 18/24
Blenheim b: 14/24

If I've read the report right, apart from 7 Blenheims, 8 Gladiators, and 2 Hurricanes, I don't get any replacement aircraft until turns 31, 91 and 44 respectively. However I should have the advantage at this stage and so will have to keep these flying.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 1/6/2018 6:38:22 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 11
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 1/6/2018 6:43:22 AM   
goodwoodrw

Hi there Warspite, I have playing this scenario since you encouraged me to play Nth Africa with your AAR in the desert. I am playing the Commonwealth against the Axis AI. I am up to turn 131 (17 Dec 41). I am around the Trmimi Bomba area holding there until I mop up around Torbuk.

Formerly Goodwood

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 12
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 1/6/2018 6:55:47 AM   
warspite1

Turn 2
21st September 1940

The Squadron of RTR furthest west, with its 8 remaining cruiser tanks, heads east but is attacked en route and does not even reach Sofafi.

The big question is what to do at El Hamra; do I try the same thing (knowing they won't get far) or do I try and fight it out and make the Italians pay as heavier price as possible? The problem is that my understanding is that if these units are destroyed when out of supply then I don't get them back - and this could mean a large part of the 7th Armoured never make it (which surely means the end for the CW before the game even gets started???? - why does the 7th Armoured man the wire at the start?).

The 1st RTR squadron, trying to shake of its attackers is engaged during its retreat and its position looks grim. I request two air strikes by my Blenheim squadrons and the artillery east of Buq Buq are ordered to lay down as fierce a barrage as they can muster.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 1/6/2018 6:56:14 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 13
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 1/6/2018 6:58:34 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: goodwoodrw

Hi there Warspite, I have playing this scenario since you encouraged me to play Nth Africa with your AAR in the desert. I am playing the Commonwealth against the Axis AI. I am up to turn 131 (17 Dec 41). I am around the Trmimi Bomba area holding there until I mop up around Torbuk.
warspite1

Sounds like your a better player than me - but that is not difficult Its great playing with the CW in the desert isn't it?

(in reply to goodwoodrw)
Post #: 14
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 1/6/2018 7:02:32 AM   
warspite1

Turn 2 - Round 1
21st September 1940

Things get off to a bad start with an airstrike against the Coldstream Guards and develop into something of a shambles as the first strike by the Blenheims achieves nothing but the loss of 9 out of 14 aircraft. There is something seriously wrong with that from an historical perspective but hey ho, it is what it is and its too late to call off the second attack - which sees 8 Blenheims lost in return for 1 biplane. Okay...... At least the artillery do something, causing 17% losses to the Cirene Division.

The likelihood of an attack from Sofafi succeeding seems remote (the guidance is 'poor' and I need to avoid my units at Buq Buq being surrounded so there is little choice but to retreat.

Things go from disaster to pathetic farce for the British. I try and move the 3rd RHA east but it decides to move directly north into the teeth of more Italians (that had been masked by FOW). I then click group movement instead of individual meaning my tanks moved when they shouldn't have and are now stuck north east of Sofafi.......

At Buq Buq the chances of successfully attacking the Cirene are 'poor' and so instead the artillery focuses on the units to the south seeking to encircle Buq Buq. A company of the 2nd Rifle Brigade that did escape Sofafi is ordered to Buq Buq to assist the flank defence.

In the south, with no help coming from anywhere, the British decide on an all out attack on the Italian cavalry to the northeast. The chances of success are 'fair'.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 1/6/2018 7:20:46 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 15
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 1/6/2018 7:26:39 AM   
warspite1

Turn 2 - Round 3
21st September 1940

The Regia Aeronautica seem to roam the skies with impunity and launch an air strike against the British artillery at Buq Buq. Notwithstanding the attack against them the artillery strike against the flanking units sees 5% losses inflicted.

Once again though the deadly RA strike - this time against the 11th Hussars. The British tanks are at least able to break the encirclement, albeit at cost - and another Blenheim is lost in the process but no Axis aircraft are destroyed.

Interesting dilemma for the British here. Do they try and run (but probably get engaged anyway) or fight it out and risk total annihilation? Given what has happened so far I am not sure that running really achieves much; perhaps, if lucky, 50% of the units may get away but the rest will be destroyed.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 1/6/2018 7:33:47 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 16
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 1/6/2018 7:43:26 AM   
warspite1

Turn 2 - Round 5
21st September 1940

An attack north of El Hamra was 'poor' so there is no option but to retreat. Sure enough the British units trying to move from El Hamra are both engaged and one squadron evaporates. The two units to the northeast manage to make it to east of Sofafi however.

To the north there is a further problem for the British as the old chestnut of 'dunes' terrain rears its ugly head. It looks like a battalion of the CCNN Division will be able to simply move up the coast totally immune to attack because the British units are all motorised???? I put the French Marine unit on the coast but cannot block the Italians closer to stop them getting at the artillery. The artillery are ordered to attack the CCNN unit when, quite frankly, there are better things to be spending ammunition on.

The RA attack the Scots Guards and the artillery inflict 15% losses on the CCNN.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 1/6/2018 7:57:09 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 17
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 1/6/2018 8:04:17 AM   
warspite1

Turn 2 - Rounds 7 + 9
21st September 1940

With 40% of the turn remaining the one remaining decision is whether to retreat with the units in the north, or try and hold. I will try and hold on the basis that, as proven, retreating will just mean death anyway. I will use the last remaining ammo stocks to try and hurt the Italians.

The last two rounds sees bombardments of the Italians directly south of Buq Buq. These result in 10% and 16% losses and an engineer unit is destroyed. The RA strikes at the Coldstream Guards once more. I can only hope that these artillery barrages have an adverse effect on Italian attacking options...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 1/6/2018 8:05:24 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 18
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 1/6/2018 9:39:17 AM   
goodwoodrw

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: goodwoodrw

warspite1

Sounds like your a better player than me - but that is not difficult Its great playing with the CW in the desert isn't it?

G'day again, better than you, I wouldn't think so. I've been playing Panzer Corps Grand campaign since it came out I haven't got past 1944 yet He he. I do like Nth African Campaign because it is much smaller than most others, also a good selection of Australian units. My dad was soldier in the Sixth Divi. Could never get into TOAW 3, but thanks to your AAR I have persevered

Formerly Goodwood

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 19
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 1/6/2018 9:49:04 AM   
Hyding

quote:

Turn 2
21st September 1940

The Squadron of RTR furthest west, with its 8 remaining cruiser tanks, heads east but is attacked en route and does not even reach Sofafi.

The big question is what to do at El Hamra; do I try the same thing (knowing they won't get far) or do I try and fight it out and make the Italians pay as heavier price as possible? The problem is that my understanding is that if these units are destroyed when out of supply then I don't get them back - and this could mean a large part of the 7th Armoured never make it (which surely means the end for the CW before the game even gets started???? - why does the 7th Armoured man the wire at the start?).

The 1st RTR squadron, trying to shake of its attackers is engaged during its retreat and its position looks grim. I request two air strikes by my Blenheim squadrons and the artillery east of Buq Buq are ordered to lay down as fierce a barrage as they can muster.

If the unit is allowed to reconstitute at it can be rebuilt latter from squads and equipment in the replacment pool. The supply statusat the time of combat does not change that.

What you do lose by being out of supply is any squads and equipment that were only damaged and not destroyed. Damaged squads usually quickyreturn to the on hand replacement pool. Damaged squads out of supply are treated as if destroyed and are lost.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 20
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 1/6/2018 10:23:03 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Narses

quote:

Turn 2
21st September 1940

If the unit is allowed to reconstitute at it can be rebuilt latter from squads and equipment in the replacment pool. The supply statusat the time of combat does not change that.

What you do lose by being out of supply is any squads and equipment that were only damaged and not destroyed. Damaged squads usually quickyreturn to the on hand replacement pool. Damaged squads out of supply are treated as if destroyed and are lost.
warspite1

Ah, okay that is helpful thanks. I'm sure I've been told that already but not everything is sticking to my rather feeble brain....

(in reply to Hyding)
Post #: 21
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 1/6/2018 11:01:20 AM   
warspite1

Turn 3 - Axis Turn
25th September 1940

The Italians are causing real problems for the Allies here. At Buq Buq the two Guards Battalions retreat in the face of a massive onslaught from the 157th and 158th Regiments of the Cirene Division, a regiment of the CCNN Division and large amounts of air support. The CW fighters appear to be sipping tea in the Delta or watching cricket - but whatever they are doing they don't appear to be in the air....

The remains of the 3rd Royal Horse Artillery Regiment is destroyed north of Sofafi and the 2nd Hussars Squadron falling back on Bir Khamsa is almost finished.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 1/6/2018 11:19:12 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 22
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 1/6/2018 11:49:44 AM   
warspite1

Turn 3
25th September 1940

The instructions for this scenario are pretty poor tbh. There is mention of a ceasefire but the description is written like the player should know what the rule is already. I can't make head nor tail of it so will just ignore it and hope its not important.

In the south the 2nd Squadron, 1st RTR tries to assist its fellow squadron west of Bir Khamsa but instead comes across a number of Italian units at El Hamra (FOW is a bitch!). The squadron is unable to engage and so stuck out on the open road...

East of Buq Buq the two British Guard battalions try and dig-in, with the artillery pulling back. The artillery expend every round they can to try and impede Italian progress along the coastal road. Will it be enough?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 1/6/2018 12:16:57 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 23
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 1/6/2018 2:05:29 PM   
warspite1

Turn 4 - Axis Turn
28th September 1940

Never a good sign when the losses are massively higher than the enemy. The 2nd Squadron, 1st RTR is totally destroyed, but the forces east of Buq Buq survive - there was no attack on them this turn - I hope that it was the artillery fire that kept them surpressed.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 1/6/2018 2:22:49 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 24
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 1/6/2018 2:30:21 PM   
Zorch

Churchill would have sacked you by now.
At least we have the answer to the question, "Could Graziani (sic) have been more aggressive"?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 25
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 1/6/2018 2:38:22 PM   
warspite1

Turn 4
28th September 1940

The rest of the 7th Armoured Division available are moved up to try and stop the Italians from marching on Sidi Barani unopposed and to stop any direct move for Mersah Matruh.

4th Armoured Brigade provide their two regiments and the 7th provides its remaining regiment. The Guards are ordered to try and hold east of Buq Buq and further company of the Rifle Brigade are brought in to assist.

A.. ahem... line, Buq Buq - Bir Emba - Piccadilly Circus, is formed.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 26
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 1/6/2018 2:45:26 PM   
warspite1

quote:

At least we have the answer to the question, "Could Graziani (sic) have been more aggressive"?
warspite1

In real life or the game? No way in real life I believe.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 27
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 1/6/2018 2:47:18 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

The instructions for this scenario are pretty poor tbh. There is mention of a ceasefire but the description is written like the player should know what the rule is already. I can't make head nor tail of it so will just ignore it and hope its not important.

Let me try to clarify:

The Axis player has an option to cancel the coming cease fire by disbanding a special, off-map, unit on turn 1. On that turn (only) you could have reconnoitered its hex to tell if that was optioned. It is withdrawn on turn 2, so you'll have to pull up a save if you haven't checked it yet. You really need to know if the cease fire is coming or not. It makes a big difference in your fight-or-flight decision.

Note that there is additional documentation for the scenario beyond the in-game briefing. It often has more info than the briefing.

Attachment (1)

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 28
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 1/6/2018 2:50:06 PM   
warspite1

Turn 4
28th September 1940

The artillery get a full 5 rounds in this time - let's hope it does the trick.....

Attachment (1)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 29
RE: CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - 1/6/2018 2:51:50 PM   
Zorch

quote:

quote:

warspite1

In real life or the game? No way in real life I believe.

Real life. Seems as if there should be a larger penalty for Italian offensive actions.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> CFNA 1940-43 devoncop (Axis) vs warspite1 (CW) - no devoncop please Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI