Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Dedicated Video Memory

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Ancients] >> Hannibal: Rome and Carthage in the Second Punic War >> Tech Support >> Dedicated Video Memory Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Dedicated Video Memory - 12/20/2017 10:36:30 PM   
DEB

Seasons greetings !

I have "Hannibal" installed on a Vista O/S Desktop PC. 

I would like to install it on a Windows 7 O/S Laptop.
My understanding is that it should work on a Windows 7 O/S ; but I have a problem, in that my Laptop is currently limited to an 8 MB Dedicated Video memory ! 

Can you please advise the Dedicated Video Memory required for "Hannibal".

Many thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: Dedicated Video Memory - 12/29/2017 4:08:46 PM   
mercenarius

First off, sorry for the delay in responding - holiday travel.

I don't think that I actually tested the game with anything less than 256 MB of video RAM. I *think* that you might get away with 64 MB or so, but 128 is probably much better.

Does your laptop have the option of reserving system RAM for additional video RAM via the BIOS?

I'll set up one of my test machines this weekend with OS 7 and I'll try to see what kind of performance I can get with only 64 MB allocated to the integrated graphics.

Do you have any upgrade options for your laptop?

James Warshawsky
Forced March Games, LLC

(in reply to DEB)
Post #: 2
RE: Dedicated Video Memory - 12/30/2017 3:55:16 PM   
DEB

quote:

Does your laptop have the option of reserving system RAM for additional video RAM via the BIOS?

Afraid not. It may be possible via an alteration to the System Registry, but I am loath to attempt this...

quote:

I'll set up one of my test machines this weekend with OS 7 and I'll try to see what kind of performance I can get with only 64 MB allocated to the integrated graphics.

Ok. NB: My laptops's dedicated video memory may well be higher than the 8 MB I quoted before. That amount was the amount set by another games manufacturer, for their game. My video card apparently sets the amount used per game by the amount the games manufacturer has allotted. However, some games have had an initial amount set, rather than an actual amount, per my Video Card's manufacturer ( INTEL ).
An Integrated Video card needs the actual amount to process the video correctly, but can only read the amount set by the games manufacturer. Therefore, if "you" have set 256 MB of RAM as the actual amount, my video card should read this and process it correctly. If however, it was set lower than that, there may be problems ( dependent on exactly how low it was set )...

quote:

Do you have any upgrade options for your laptop?

Not that I am aware of ; but as explained above, the Video card on the Laptop is not really the problem here...

< Message edited by DEB -- 12/30/2017 3:59:27 PM >

(in reply to mercenarius)
Post #: 3
RE: Dedicated Video Memory - 12/30/2017 8:26:28 PM   
mercenarius

quote:

It may be possible via an alteration to the System Registry, but I am loath to attempt this...

No, we definitely don't want you to do that. I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't an issue with the configuration of an integrated graphics chip.

If your integrated graphics chip can use 64 or more RAM then I don't see why the game won't play on your laptop.

Can you take the DirectX information for your laptop and send it to me via PM?

You can do this by clicking on the Windows icon in the 'tray' and then typing in dxdiag.exe - click on the icon from the list which should be populated after you type the name. Use the "Save All Information..." button to save that to a file with a suitable name somewhere, perhaps on your desktop. Then you can attach it to a PM to me, if it is not too much trouble.

Also, in the meantime, I'd simply install the game on your laptop and see if it will run as things are. If not, then of course I will try to figure out what to do next.

Thanks for your purchase of 'Hannibal'!

James Warshawsky
Forced March Games, LLC

(in reply to DEB)
Post #: 4
RE: Dedicated Video Memory - 1/1/2018 3:53:56 PM   
DEB

quote:

ORIGINAL: mercenarius

If your integrated graphics chip can use 64 or more RAM then I don't see why the game won't play on your laptop.

That sounds good ( re my query ).

quote:

Can you take the DirectX information for your laptop and send it to me via PM?

OK, will do.

[ NB : I will do this in the next few days ( or so ); perhaps next week... ]

quote:

Also, in the meantime, I'd simply install the game on your laptop and see if it will run as things are. If not, then of course I will try to figure out what to do next.

This is ( of course ), the best way forward generally. I do have another "test" though - I have a complete copy of the game on a memory stick ( as back up ).
I will try running the game on the Laptop via the memory stick. If this works OK I will install it.

quote:

Thanks for your purchase of 'Hannibal'!

That's OK. It's a great little game.

[ Re "little" read "short" !!! ]

(in reply to mercenarius)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Ancients] >> Hannibal: Rome and Carthage in the Second Punic War >> Tech Support >> Dedicated Video Memory Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI