Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The Night Japanese Bombing "Problem"

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> The Night Japanese Bombing "Problem" Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Night Japanese Bombing "Problem" - 5/29/2003 11:13:34 AM   
JohnK

Haven't made up my mind about whether this requires a "house rule" like no Argonaut minelaying or anything...

I'm currently playing a campaign where the Japanese hold Lunga and Irau and bombing of Brisbane and Lunga ports is taking place sporadically.

I think it really declines in effectiveness at extended range.....many hits were scored in Lunga but my opponent has had far more problems...and operational losses...scoring hits at Brisbane.

Of course, the strikes are invulnerable to any night CAP at all..and also seem invulnerable to AAA.

I think a really KEY problem is that when hits are scored they are INVARIABLY on the most valuable ship in the port. If you have 1 CA and 15 APs in a port, the bomb hit will ALWAYS be on the CA, without exception, in my experience.

At night aircraft are not going to be able to ID targets well; heck, in daylight, in WWII, target ID was horrible.

I think if the overall accuracy was dropped a little, AND the targeting of ships in ports was randomized more, it would be fine. It certainly motivates one to not let the Japanese have a base close enough to do it.

It's also a little odd that your ships are basically rendered invulnerable to this night bombing by simply having them in a docked TF....in reality, they wouldn't be any less vulnerable that way.

On the other hand, I think in reality ships in Australia would have been based in Sydney or something, which isn't on the map.
Post #: 1
Just wait - 5/30/2003 12:36:02 AM   
mbatch729

Just wait until you've got your carriers arriving at Noumea, and one of those night raids hit sending some of them back to Pearl. :rolleyes:

Later,
FC3(SW) Batch
USS Iowa

(in reply to JohnK)
Post #: 2
What size bombs - 5/30/2003 10:48:45 PM   
fcooke

What size bombs do Bettys and Nells out of Lunga use when hitting L'ville and Noumea? Are they 250 kg or 500 kg jobs? Thank god they can't use torps or else the Allies would really be in trouble.

(in reply to JohnK)
Post #: 3
- 5/31/2003 12:04:56 AM   
Admiral_Arctic

They carry the standard 250kg bomb. Though probably four-six of them. But they can sause some damage especially with multiple hits.

PS. If you use the IJA planes, they sometimes carry a smaller 100kg bomb. And floatplanes will carry only 60kg or 30kg.

I'm a hazard to myself.

Want. Take. Have.

(in reply to JohnK)
Post #: 4
- 5/31/2003 11:42:37 PM   
estaban

Set the game so "docked" TFs cannot repair, they have to be in port. Then you will see TFs actually use ports instead of sitting outside of them using a little fuel while repairing.

(in reply to JohnK)
Post #: 5
- 6/1/2003 12:45:17 AM   
Oleg Mastruko

Bettys/Nells carry only 4 250 kg bombs (mere 2 bombs on extended range missions!), and - given the ENORMOUS advantage Allied player gets later in the game, bomber-wise - I find constant complaints Re Betty port bombing very petty and annoying (nothing personal).

And Betties die like flies if you have enough AAA, and from operational losses alone, killing irreplacable high exp. pilots...

Just wait til you get super-ultra-invulnerable-16 bomb carrying monsters called B24s or 12 x 500 B17s... Didn't Japs historically bomb PM and Australia at night?

O.

(in reply to JohnK)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> The Night Japanese Bombing "Problem" Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI