Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Best Strategic Games by Wars / Era ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Best Strategic Games by Wars / Era ? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Best Strategic Games by Wars / Era ? - 6/11/2018 2:40:18 PM   
DonCzirr

Was hoping to share and learn if anyone has other candidates:

Ancients - not too much here atm - Legion by Slitherine was fun but now is dated. Aggressors shows a lot of promise.

Musket and Pike Era - there seems to be some AGEOD stuff available. I had tried one "Rise of Prussia" but really
could not "connect with it" Is it worth it to stay the course and learn it ? Better options in that period?

Napoleonics - Empires in Arms is firmly on my list as I loved the board game - and the guys here seem to be doing
a great job keeping it alive. Other titles seem to have flaws either with battle systems or no diplomacy etc - Any other
favorites out there?

WWI - Commander the Great War. Love this game. Mostly getting my butt kicked - but still a great gaming experience.

WW2 - I had Time of Fury etc but all of that support was dropped - so I am thinking Strategic Command WWII War in Europe is the best
bet here. I had Fury's older stuff and enjoyed it somewhat - but the squares (instead of hexes) feature turned me off.

Any other favorites / interesting titles to recommend ?

< Message edited by DonCzirr -- 6/11/2018 4:18:20 PM >

Man schlägt jemanden mit der Faust und nicht mit gespreizten Fingern !

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100032812112896
Post #: 1
RE: Best Strategic Games by Wars / Era ? - 6/11/2018 4:13:39 PM   
Poopyhead

Guten Tag!

I enjoy the Total War series for the "ancients" period. These stretch right up to the 19th century with Shogun 2's Fall of the Samurai. I'm a big fan of Ageod's Civil War 2 and their game system is a lot of fun.

Astrologers believe that your future is determined on the day that you are born.
Warriors know that your future is determined on the day that your enemy dies.

(in reply to DonCzirr)
Post #: 2
RE: Best Strategic Games by Wars / Era ? - 6/11/2018 4:28:45 PM   
rico21

Sanctus reach for the period 40000.
Warranty without any historical error.

(in reply to DonCzirr)
Post #: 3
RE: Best Strategic Games by Wars / Era ? - 6/11/2018 5:55:33 PM   
salazarus

Ancients - Field of Glory II
Medieval - not much here, Medieval Total War, Europa Universals IV (I don't like CKII)
Renaissance, Age of Musket - Europa Universals IV, Pike and Shot, Sengoku Jidai and Ageod's Games
XIX century - Victoria II, Age of Riffles, Pride Of Nations, Civil War II, Ultimate General
WWI - I like To End All Wars but this is not popular opinion
WWII - too many games
Cold War/Modern Era - Flashpoint Campaigns, Command: Modern Air / Naval Operations

(in reply to rico21)
Post #: 4
RE: Best Strategic Games by Wars / Era ? - 6/11/2018 6:05:55 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: DonCzirr

Ancients - not too much here atm - Legion by Slitherine was fun but now is dated. Aggressors shows a lot of promise.

Musket and Pike Era - there seems to be some AGEOD stuff available. I had tried one "Rise of Prussia" but really
could not "connect with it" Is it worth it to stay the course and learn it ? Better options in that period?

Napoleonics - Empires in Arms is firmly on my list as I loved the board game - and the guys here seem to be doing
a great job keeping it alive. Other titles seem to have flaws either with battle systems or no diplomacy etc - Any other
favorites out there?

WWI - Commander the Great War. Love this game. Mostly getting my butt kicked - but still a great gaming experience.

WW2 - I had Time of Fury etc but all of that support was dropped - so I am thinking Strategic Command WWII War in Europe is the best
bet here. I had Fury's older stuff and enjoyed it somewhat - but the squares (instead of hexes) feature turned me off.

warspite1

World War II strategy? The conversation starts and ends with World In Flames.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to DonCzirr)
Post #: 5
RE: Best Strategic Games by Wars / Era ? - 6/11/2018 6:11:12 PM   
DonCzirr

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

favorites out there?

warspite1

I played the board game many years ago - in the same garage that I played Empires in Arms in .... was fun.

I'm waiting for full AI on that one however - even got a reminder set in Outlook to check yearly

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 6
RE: Best Strategic Games by Wars / Era ? - 6/11/2018 6:36:59 PM   
MrsWargamer

The best Strategy ie Grand Strategy design I have ever played any form, digital or otherwise, is Advanced Third Reich.

On the computer, I have no issues with Strategic Command. Played the heck out of SC1, am happy to have SC3.

Also a fan of Commander Europe at War.

Not experienced enough with non-WW2 designs to comment.

I'll say it, because it has to be said. The Civilization designs have often had some great WW2 user made creations available to fiddle with. Not quite a wargame, but then, what exactly is a 'wargame'?

Wish I knew someone with Supremacy. That was an incredible board game. No knowledge of whether it has ever graced the digital realm.

Also should mention the board game Victory Blocks of War from Columbia Games. Now that is some great user friendly fun.

< Message edited by MrsWargamer -- 6/11/2018 6:37:34 PM >

Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.

(in reply to DonCzirr)
Post #: 7
RE: Best Strategic Games by Wars / Era ? - 6/11/2018 6:45:01 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: MrsWargamer

Wish I knew someone with Supremacy. That was an incredible board game. No knowledge of whether it has ever graced the digital realm.

Yes

And I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Crusader Kings II by now. Note: I don't have the game nor have I played it, but it is one of the most hyped strategy games of middle ages period.

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to MrsWargamer)
Post #: 8
RE: Best Strategic Games by Wars / Era ? - 6/11/2018 7:19:13 PM   
Vasquez

Hegemony III for Ancients and

Making History: The Great War for WWI

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 9
RE: Best Strategic Games by Wars / Era ? - 6/11/2018 8:09:16 PM   
DonCzirr

quote:

The best Strategy ie Grand Strategy design I have ever played any form, digital or otherwise, is Advanced Third Reich.

Advanced Third Reich was an awesome board game.

There was some old computerized version but now really out of date - and I think it did not have an AI ?

I think I saw one of the guys in the Strategic Command crowd has made a 3rd Reich mod?

I'm very interested in giving that a try once I pick up the main game.

Post #: 10
RE: Best Strategic Games by Wars / Era ? - 6/12/2018 6:02:16 PM   
MrsWargamer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kuokkanen

quote:

Yes

And I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Crusader Kings II by now. Note: I don't have the game nor have I played it, but it is one of the most hyped strategy games of middle ages period.

Same name, not even close to same game though :)

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 11
RE: Best Strategic Games by Wars / Era ? - 6/12/2018 6:10:38 PM   
MrsWargamer

quote:

quote:

There was some old computerized version but now really out of date - and I think it did not have an AI ?

I think I saw one of the guys in the Strategic Command crowd has made a 3rd Reich mod?

I'm very interested in giving that a try once I pick up the main game.

There is of course this option.
https://archive.codeplex.com/?p=warplanner
But I'm reluctant to indulge this method of wargaming to a point.

(in reply to DonCzirr)
Post #: 12
RE: Best Strategic Games by Wars / Era ? - 6/12/2018 8:23:10 PM   
DonCzirr

Right - I've seen such things before. not my cup of tea either.

It would be cool if Slitherine and one of its Devs would swoop in, get the rights and modernize / enhance 3rd Reich with AI etc

Such a classic deserves to live on "in style".

Post #: 13
RE: Best Strategic Games by Wars / Era ? - 6/12/2018 10:45:01 PM   
wodin

WW1 Gold

(in reply to DonCzirr)
Post #: 14
RE: Best Strategic Games by Wars / Era ? - 6/12/2018 11:41:03 PM   
John B.

If we're including board games I'd say:

Ancients: Sword of Rome (I forget who makes this); It's not really a strategic game but AH's Siege of Jerusalem is very good just remember that the Jewish forces can run down the siege ramps :);

Medieval: Empires of the Middle Ages (SPI) (SSI did a computerized version that was very similar to this in the 1990s but I don't remember the name);

Civil War: Civil War (VG);

WWI: The SPI folio game that was in S&T in the 1970s called -- wait for it -- WWI; the old Conflict Games Verdun is also good if you like lots of dead counters;

WWII: World in Flames (ADG) up until version 4. I think they jumped the shark with version 5 or War in Europe by SPI. Battle for Germany from the S&T magazine is a rare three player classic.

Korea: VG's Korea.

Modern: Conflict Game's Bar Lev is a very good game on the Yom Kippur War and it also very good for three players.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 15
RE: Best Strategic Games by Wars / Era ? - 6/13/2018 3:11:41 AM   
balto

Ancients - are not my cup of tea. Aggressors seems to be a must buy for me.

Medieval - agree on EU 4. That is a masterpiece though I have not played it since the Art of War DLC came out (which was great).

WW1 - agree on Commander at War. It has been a while, I forgot how great that was. Also HOI 4 with the World War 1 Mod.

WW2 - All of Vic's Decisive Campaigns, they are all strokes of genius. But HOI 4 is my constant go to, the DLCs keep it fresh.

Future/Space - in this order Distant Worlds (hands down the best), Stellaris (super duper great), and Endless Space 2 (super great), and XCOM 2 (great). If DW2 ever comes out, I am taking a week off of work and playing that until I drop for 7 days straight. I also might take a week off when Vic's Shadow Empire comes out.

Good thread, thanks.

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 16
RE: Best Strategic Games by Wars / Era ? - 6/13/2018 9:32:10 AM   
HunterICX

My Personal favorites.

Ancient Era: the original Shogun Total War and Rome Total War (with the excellent Europa Barbarorum mod).

Medieval Era: Crusader Kings 2 because when I think of Medieval I think of Dynasties.

Musket and Pike Era: Pike & Shot, Rise of Prussia

Napoleonics: Scourge of War: Waterloo

WW2: Close Combat Series, Panzer General & Panzer Corps, War in the West.

(in reply to DonCzirr)
Post #: 17
RE: Best Strategic Games by Wars / Era ? - 6/13/2018 10:40:55 AM   
Saint Ruth

quote:

It did have an AI, but it wasn't much good (e.g. playing as the AXIS in the 1944 scenario, I managed to capture Moscow,
though the Western allies recaptured France).
There was a patch that gave the AI extra lots of PPs (?) and units so that on Hard it was actually quite challenging.
I still have its box somewhere, though I'd say it's very dated now.

(in reply to DonCzirr)
Post #: 18
RE: Best Strategic Games by Wars / Era ? - 6/13/2018 12:24:29 PM   
DonCzirr

quote:

ORIGINAL: Saint Ruth

quote:

It did have an AI, but it wasn't much good (e.g. playing as the AXIS in the 1944 scenario, I managed to capture Moscow,
though the Western allies recaptured France).
There was a patch that gave the AI extra lots of PPs (?) and units so that on Hard it was actually quite challenging.
I still have its box somewhere, though I'd say it's very dated now.

Thanks for the clarification on the AI.

There was a thread on this a while back - but now the associated links look dead / inactive : A3r

At this point however, I would not have the time to spend with getting old Windows or even DOS games working on modern OS.

Anyways ... back to the main thread ... just a small clarification on the subject - which was originally intended as a best "Grand Strategy"

(multiple countries - high level strategy - as opposed to specific battles within an era / war). Specific battle wargames are also worth

discussing - but should be opened in another thread.

(in reply to Saint Ruth)
Post #: 19
RE: Best Strategic Games by Wars / Era ? - 6/13/2018 1:31:11 PM   
Neilster

For WW2, once the AI is implemented, it will be hard to beat Matrix World in Flames, although it is a fairly daunting game for beginners. The system, derived from the award-winning paper and dice game, is fantastic. It has lots of chrome but much of that can be turned off if you want a simpler game.

Cheers, Neilster

Attachment (1)

(in reply to DonCzirr)
Post #: 20
RE: Best Strategic Games by Wars / Era ? - 6/13/2018 2:27:39 PM   
Eugen Ritter von Schobert

Yeah

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 21
RE: Best Strategic Games by Wars / Era ? - 6/16/2018 3:52:19 PM   
DonCzirr

Strategic War in Europe

Playing around with this while my wargame fund builds back up.

It's abandoned like all of WI's titles - but it's quick and fun - like Time of Fury Lite.

Wait till it goes on sale on Steam - I think I picked this up when it was like 3.99 USD. Definitely worth it at that price.

Post #: 22
RE: Best Strategic Games by Wars / Era ? - 6/18/2018 4:00:48 PM   
USSAmerica

quote:

It would be cool if Slitherine and one of its Devs would swoop in, get the rights and modernize / enhance 3rd Reich with AI etc

I've been dreaming of a real computer treatment of 3R or A3R since I bought the original AH computer release in 1995. Come on Matrix!!!

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to DonCzirr)
Post #: 23
RE: Best Strategic Games by Wars / Era ? - 6/18/2018 5:18:03 PM   
coachi

Ancient - field of glory II

Medieval -= have only played Crusaders king although I don’t like that that much.

Napoleonics - Total war napoleon - just the battle part

WWi - never played.

WWII first in combat mission games - ai is great multiplayer is great - loads of scenarios and the realism - one mistake it’s over / TOAW series - pick one.

Modern - Harpoon 3 (haven’t played for years - Combat mission - see above - TOAW IV (see above) - have flashpoint - loved the mechanics - just never got the game down.

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 24
RE: Best Strategic Games by Wars / Era ? - 6/18/2018 5:39:27 PM   
DonCzirr

quote:

ORIGINAL: USSAmerica

quote:

I've been dreaming of a real computer treatment of 3R or A3R since I bought the original AH computer release in 1995. Come on Matrix!!!

Yep - I would like to see a fairly straight forward implementation - with good graphics - not adding flashy animations - but just in such as way

that the counters and map look as close to the original board game as possible.

Maybe throw in some air, sea, tank and infantry sounds (they could probably recycle some of the Matrix game sounds they already developed) - and take a stab at a decent AI.
Maybe Vic and his crew could handle that. His Decisive Campaigns games have comparatively good AI performance vs most

wargames.

< Message edited by DonCzirr -- 6/18/2018 5:40:38 PM >

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 25
RE: Best Strategic Games by Wars / Era ? - 6/19/2018 7:50:41 AM   
RFalvo69

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neilster

For WW2, once the AI is implemented, it will be hard to beat Matrix World in Flames, although it is a fairly daunting game for beginners. The system, derived from the award-winning paper and dice game, is fantastic. It has lots of chrome but much of that can be turned off if you want a simpler game.

Cheers, Neilster

I'm following this game since 2013: it is finally entering in pre-alpha stage right now.

"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 26
RE: Best Strategic Games by Wars / Era ? - 6/19/2018 1:54:03 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

favorites out there?

warspite1

And then the conversation moves on to War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition. For the treatment of the other side of the globe there is no better.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 27
RE: Best Strategic Games by Wars / Era ? - 6/19/2018 3:14:38 PM   
DonCzirr

WiTP does look amazing - but also a bit overwhelming for those that (between work and family) have very limited gaming time.

Definitely on the my Retirement play list.

To fill the gap with beer and pretzels, I was playing OOB Pacific but I found that I had to drink way too much beer to make it interesting.

Maybe Hubert and the SC guys will come out with a Pacific strategic game with their new engine.

I'm tempted to buy the older SC game with just the Pacific but I really hate the squared based maps ... still might go for it though.

Mulling ....

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 28
RE: Best Strategic Games by Wars / Era ? - 6/21/2018 4:54:44 PM   
DonCzirr

Anyone have both Wars of Napoleon and Victory and Glory ?

And perhaps a preference between the 2 ?

I'm really on the fence with these so would appreciate any input.

(in reply to DonCzirr)
Post #: 29
RE: Best Strategic Games by Wars / Era ? - 6/21/2018 5:14:15 PM   
JReb

I recently took a look to see if they fixed any of the issues with this game but it appears no. I do not recommend WON. Do not know about V&G though.

From the Ageod WON forum June 7th. Check it out. http://www.ageod-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=368&t=52610

"It is obvious that it is advisable not to play the great campaign in the current state of the game.

This is a question for those responsible for its development and updating.

Is WoN abandoned?"

My shrink says I have anger management and conflict resolution issues....and I'LL FIGHT ANYBODY THAT DISAGREES!

(in reply to DonCzirr)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Best Strategic Games by Wars / Era ? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI