Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

New. Advice as to which scenario to start with please?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> New. Advice as to which scenario to start with please? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New. Advice as to which scenario to start with please? - 12/7/2018 6:17:53 PM   
Phoenix100

Just bought this. I wonder if anyone could recommend a starting point? Which mods (if any)? I got the free community modpack already and installed it, and got the boardgame gfx mod, which is very nice. Anything else?

But mostly, which scenario should I start with?

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

< Message edited by Phoenix100 -- 12/7/2018 6:18:14 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: New. Advice as to which scenario to start with please? - 12/7/2018 6:32:11 PM   
Dorky8

1939 scenario by far the most popular - Fall Weiss in custom

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 2
RE: New. Advice as to which scenario to start with please? - 12/7/2018 6:56:01 PM   
Phoenix100

Thanks. And which is the most historically accurate, in terms of starting OOBs and positions etc?

(in reply to Dorky8)
Post #: 3
RE: New. Advice as to which scenario to start with please? - 12/8/2018 12:24:35 AM   
sPzAbt653

This one has Historical OOB's if you are interested:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4398001

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 4
RE: New. Advice as to which scenario to start with please? - 12/8/2018 8:33:04 AM   
Phoenix100

Thanks, sPzAbt653. I have your 653H scenario in the community pack. That's also historical, I assume?

So the stock scenarios don't include historical set-ups?

With regards to 653Hi - I can work out where to put the campaign folder and file, but where do I put the data txt files (3 of them) and the free units txt file?

< Message edited by Phoenix100 -- 12/8/2018 8:52:22 AM >

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 5
RE: New. Advice as to which scenario to start with please? - 12/8/2018 11:11:33 AM   
Dorky8

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phoenix100

Thanks. And which is the most historically accurate, in terms of starting OOBs and positions etc?

Part of the game is to change history some with your decisions. So with the 1939 scenario the player gets to make all the choices from the beginning. I don't care for the research choices given to the player in the later scenarios. I find the game does a great job following history except Sealion which I find not historic at all. I've played a bunch of games where the Axis player just jams the channel with unsinkable subs, in reality the Brits had an huge naval advantage.

Don't get me wrong its a great game.

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 6
RE: New. Advice as to which scenario to start with please? - 12/8/2018 3:09:22 PM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

I have your 653H scenario in the community pack. That's also historical, I assume?

Yes, 653H is Historical, but also includes other gameplay changes. 653Hi contains Historical OOB's with no gameplay changes.

quote:

So the stock scenarios don't include historical set-ups?

Not strictly speaking. They are ok, but if you are OCD for Historical Unit Names and Orders of Battle like I am, you will want a little more detail. 653Hi has that, 653H has all that and a little more, 653N has all that plus a severe Naval Model.

quote:

where do I put the data txt files (3 of them) and the free units txt file?

Those are Text Files, for your enjoyment or not, put them where you want

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 7
RE: New. Advice as to which scenario to start with please? - 12/8/2018 5:01:09 PM   
Phoenix100

Thanks sPzAbt653. I would indeed need it to be historically accurate (at start), otherwise I probably wouldn't play it. So thanks so much for doing these mods.

But, can I ask - are your units at start of 653H historical? For instance, where 3rd Army would be (part of AGN) in East Prussia, you have no Army level unit, but 3 Corps - I, V and XXVI. But I haven't found any Axis OOB which places any of these units there, except for I Corps. Is your set-up historical, or 'more or less' historical? I could easily have missed some source, of course - I've only checked on-line in the obvious places.

Thanks.

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 8
RE: New. Advice as to which scenario to start with please? - 12/8/2018 5:13:37 PM   
scout1

Damn fine thread …. I just got this yesterday and started nosing around as my first steps ….

Very helpful jump start …….

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 9
RE: New. Advice as to which scenario to start with please? - 12/8/2018 5:47:33 PM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

are your units at start of 653H historical?

An insult to my hundreds of hours of research ! !

Just kidding. I've been designing scenarios for many years. In some cases, in order to keep things historical, units might have to be manually renamed quite often. So in a few cases I take the liberty to make things simpler. The initial setup in Poland is one of those cases. SC3 allows us to easily rename units [a greatly appreciated feature] so feel free to do so.

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 10
RE: New. Advice as to which scenario to start with please? - 12/8/2018 5:58:45 PM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

I could easily have missed some source

Well, sources often list different units, so we can only do our best. These days there are many Wiki's, but I also use Niehorster and Nafziger. If I am designing something specific I will usually buy some actual physical books on the topic [Glantz, COle, Ruppertal, Center of Military History, etc. etc.]. Here is one that is fun to poke around in if you don't mind using a translate program:
http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Gliederungen/KommandoHeer.htm

I have worked on a strategic scale European Theater scenario for Operational Art of War for many years but have never released it. All that research helped immensely with doing the 653 series.

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 11
RE: New. Advice as to which scenario to start with please? - 12/8/2018 6:00:35 PM   
Phoenix100

Thanks. Absolutely no insult intended. Hats off to you for doing all this work - I'm grateful. Thanks for link and book recs.

I shall dive in and try to learn the game now....

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 12
RE: New. Advice as to which scenario to start with please? - 12/11/2018 1:52:41 AM   
DeriKuk

It's fun to play the Western Allies after D-Day, and to race the Soviet AI to Berlin.

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> New. Advice as to which scenario to start with please? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI