Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Scen with map overlay test

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Scen with map overlay test Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Scen with map overlay test - 10/21/2018 4:36:10 AM   
Whicker

I made a simple scen - there is no stuff in it really other than the map overlays, and wanted to see if I have packaged it correctly.
Can someone try it and see if Jamaica has a nice overlay for the entire country, and then more detailed overlays on the 2 ports?

It seems like when you package it up, it is creating a zip with the scen and then an attachments folder, you then unzip that where ever you want and it moves the attachments from that folder to the main one in the game and deletes the one you unzipped. Seems to work for me.

Anyone know of any scens that have attachments? specifically map overlays?

Total file size is about 10mb which for the detail isn't too bad I think.

When doing map overlays, other than the initial few extra seconds it takes to load them is there a performance hit of some sort I should be aware of? so far all I see is keep the file size manageable and there is a slight delay on scen start to load the overlays.

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Scen with map overlay test - 10/25/2018 6:00:13 PM   
i224747

Nothing to report. Your overlays working fine.

(in reply to Whicker)
Post #: 2
RE: Scen with map overlay test - 10/26/2018 1:44:01 AM   
Whicker

thanks for testing it and letting me know!

I like it a lot, but it doesn't really serve much purpose. Although what I am working on now needed a dmz down the middle of the island so I did that in photoshop and it looks pretty good.

(in reply to i224747)
Post #: 3
RE: Scen with map overlay test - 10/31/2018 12:42:06 AM   
Whicker

The map overlays are cool - and were really easy to setup, there was a vid on youtube by a german guy that was pretty straight forward. Used Baloogans Gmap app, and changed it to use the Bing satellite map. I did larger overlays (island) at zoom 12 (less detail) and ports I did at zoom 15 (more detail). The more detail the much much larger the file. The files get pretty big though unless you are doing it city size or smaller, and just straight out of the gmap app they look weird in the game to me - too obvious where the overlay was. The ones I did I took into photoshop and dropped the normal game map behind the overlay file and then erased the edges of the overlay so they blended together - some of them looked seamless (this was better than just erasing and having the edges be transparent as good transparency requires 24 bit PNGs which are bigger, 8 bit are much smaller but don't handle transparency well).

I also noticed that just resaving them in photoshop made them a lot smaller - again I think cause I saved as 8 bit instead of 24 bit.

I'd like to see them used more, but so far for a scen I am working on just a nice overlay of an island and then 2 really nice detailed overlays of ports are at about 10mb, and that just happens to be the max upload for this forum..
I also took a military base I found in korea and dropped it into a non military area where I wanted a military base.. it looks pretty convincing.

Other than the 5 seconds or so it takes to load the overlays when first loading the scen so far I have had no issues with them. Game doesn't seem to care.

< Message edited by Whicker -- 10/31/2018 12:49:37 AM >

(in reply to Whicker)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Scen with map overlay test Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI