Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

sub tuto 1.4 : issue contact precision

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> sub tuto 1.4 : issue contact precision Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
sub tuto 1.4 : issue contact precision - 11/26/2018 8:17:42 PM   
davidoux

Hi All,

in subtuto 1.4 , i found the contacts very chaotic and unreliable, impossible to plot
a potential direction for the target altought i am full stop at almost periscope depth

https://i.imgur.com/Zz1Qhuu.png

looks like it's going "backward" sometimes, is there anything I am missing or is it the expected behaviour ?

< Message edited by davidoux -- 11/26/2018 8:28:55 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: sub tuto 1.4 : issue contact precision - 11/26/2018 8:44:45 PM   
1nutworld

I may be wrong but I think what you are "seeing" with the contact, is the ambiguity of the contact, as it your crew hasn't been able to classify many details, such as course and speed, as well as defining what ship it is.

USS Dwight D. Eisenhower (CVN-69) 1990-1994.

(in reply to davidoux)
Post #: 2
RE: sub tuto 1.4 : issue contact precision - 11/26/2018 9:17:06 PM   
dcpollay

Just from your picture, it looks like the contact is a long ways away. It will take awhile for your crew to pin down its course, speed, range, and classify it, if they can at all. In fact, you may not even be able to detect the contact at all from that far away, except for the target's own very loud active sonar emissions.

The water in between you and the contact can distort the signal significantly, and make it seem closer or farther, louder or quieter, and make the bearing of the contact vary. Try looking through a water glass with the water sloshing, and see how the view changes.

To really pin down the target, they would probably need to be within at most 10-15 miles. From your distance, the contact will bounce around the map a lot based upon the uncertainty.

Edit: Oh yes, also, targets are usually easier to track if your own ship is in motion. You can more easily gain "parallax" angles for triangulation. And try varying your depth; sometimes the signal carries better from different depths. Get away from the surface waves, but tracking a surface vessel, you would want to stay above the layer as long as you are out of his active sonar range.

Sonar tracking is a long, slow, patient process.

< Message edited by dcpollay -- 11/26/2018 9:24:08 PM >

"It's all according to how your boogaloo situation stands, you understand."

Formerly known as Colonel Mustard, before I got Slitherine Syndrome.

(in reply to 1nutworld)
Post #: 3
RE: sub tuto 1.4 : issue contact precision - 11/27/2018 1:33:42 AM   
CV60

quote:

Sonar tracking is a long, slow, patient process.

ASW=Awfully Slow Warfare

(in reply to dcpollay)
Post #: 4
RE: sub tuto 1.4 : issue contact precision - 11/27/2018 2:05:25 AM   
Rory Noonan

It's not very clear on mobile but that image seems to show the contact outside of your sonar range ring. Is it possible this is an ESM contact?

(in reply to CV60)
Post #: 5
RE: sub tuto 1.4 : issue contact precision - 11/27/2018 11:02:13 AM   
Dimitris

Nah, it's a ping-intercept (note the "LF sonar" emitter description above the contact). Given the context of the scenario, that's probably the Knox frigate coming towards you. IIRC this is the tutorial where you have to make use of the shallow bottom in order to mask yourself against the frigate's active sonar.

Ping-intercept detections, like all passive sonar detections, are ambiguous on location. You have to give them time to refine the uncertainty area. Given that the frigate is coming towards you this probably won't take long.

(in reply to Rory Noonan)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> sub tuto 1.4 : issue contact precision Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI