Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Market Garden

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Scenarios/Campaigns >> Market Garden Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Market Garden - 5/22/2003 6:22:03 PM   
LordCucumber

I saw two of our regulars engage in a Market Garden scenario. Is it in the standard scenario list or is it for download somewhere?

It's just that I live in Holland and I know practically ALL the locations featured and I would like to play this scenario (possibly PBEM) as well!

Post #: 1
Re: Market Garden - 5/22/2003 6:48:39 PM   
M4Jess

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Cyricist
[B]I saw two of our regulars engage in a Market Garden scenario. Is it in the standard scenario list or is it for download somewhere?

It's just that I live in Holland and I know practically ALL the locations featured and I would like to play this scenario (possibly PBEM) as well! [/B][/QUOTE]

Hello. Right now it is for 7.1 I do plan to re-design it for H2H

if you would like a copy please e-mail me at

[email]KatzKiller01@aol.com[/email]

Jess

Im making war, not trouble~

(in reply to LordCucumber)
Post #: 2
- 5/22/2003 8:47:27 PM   
LordCucumber

Thanks Jess! Mail is underway. :D

Post #: 3
- 5/22/2003 11:42:54 PM   
rbrunsman

Highly, highly recommended for PBEMing!:D There are so many options available to both sides. You aren't forced down any single path of attack.

Everyone is a potential [PBEM] enemy, every place a potential [PBEM] battlefield. --Zensunni Wisdom

Post #: 4
Re: Market Garden - 5/23/2003 6:51:13 AM   
Martin Sabre

[QUOTE]Originally posted by M4 Jess
[B]Hello. Right now it is for 7.1 I do plan to re-design it for H2H

if you would like a copy please e-mail me at

[email]KatzKiller01@aol.com[/email]

Jess [/B][/QUOTE]

Mail sent :) I'd be interested to see the scenarios as my father was made a PoW in the area shortly after the conclusion of the operation.

Martin

You can never find a 10-3 when you need one

[img]http://www.geocities.com/katzzuck/ab2.txt[/img]

Post #: 5
- 5/24/2003 7:13:31 AM   
M4Jess

Ok mail sent...if I missed anyone please drop me another line!

Enjoy!

Jess

Post #: 6
- 5/24/2003 12:34:27 PM   
Martin Sabre

[QUOTE]Originally posted by M4 Jess
[B]Ok mail sent...if I missed anyone please drop me another line!

Enjoy!

Jess [/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks Jess

Looks wonderful to me :D

Martin

You can never find a 10-3 when you need one

[img]http://www.geocities.com/katzzuck/ab2.txt[/img]

Post #: 7
- 5/24/2003 7:10:56 PM   
LordCucumber

Thanks Jess,

Just FYI it's Eind[B]hoven[/B] and not Eindhevon.. and Apel[B]d[/B]oorn instead of Apelroorn. Apart from that, spiffing good job!

Cyr.

Post #: 8
- 5/24/2003 7:24:42 PM   
M4Jess

Thanks! if anyone spots more mis-spelled words please let me know for the H2H conversion...

Jess

Post #: 9
- 5/29/2003 5:33:01 AM   
M4Jess

Good news!

Panzer Leo allowd me to add the H2H version to his up comming release ! Its a bit harder for the weaker player:rolleyes:

Enjoy!

Jess

Post #: 10
- 5/29/2003 8:59:57 AM   
tracer

Here's a couple of excellent Market Garden maps by David Boutwell: Nijmegen and Arnhem.

Attachment (1)

Jim NSB

Post #: 11
- 5/29/2003 9:01:12 AM   
tracer

Arnhem

Attachment (1)

Jim NSB

Post #: 12
- 6/4/2003 5:09:59 PM   
RobW

Jess, this map is excellent. Currently playing as Germans against CYR (posting to DAR each turn). Also have been reading the DAR of your PBEM - very detailed information and am trying to follow the same format (in such a large map it makes sense)

Post #: 13
- 6/5/2003 4:52:11 AM   
rbrunsman

RobW you're spoiling the cool surprises that can happen if you read someone else's DAR. I purposely avoided any DARs on the scenario when I played against V2. I never knew where he was going to pop up with all his AB units.:cool:

Everyone is a potential [PBEM] enemy, every place a potential [PBEM] battlefield. --Zensunni Wisdom

Post #: 14
- 6/5/2003 2:35:42 PM   
RobW

fair comment RB - consider myself roundly told off - will stop reading! Anyway - its about how each person plays their forces - yes I get information on what to expect but not how my opponent will use them - eg I managed to take out artillery that I would have found even if I hadn't read about it on here - each game is completly different!

Post #: 15
- 6/7/2003 3:06:15 AM   
David boutwell

Tracer,

Thanks for mentioning my maps. as I'm neck-deep in working on SPCW and finishing up another school year, I've not been visiting the forum lately.

Cyricist, before I got distracted by, and involved with, revamping the SPCW stuff, I was strictly focused on creating accurate scale maps of all of the Market Garden battlefields for 30 Corps, 101 and 82nd Airborne and 1st Airborne.

I started off with Arnhem, which tracer was kind enough to post. You will not find a better map of Arnhem anywhere, so once you've downloaded it, don't bother looking elsewhere. As that map was my first really large map, and at the time, I didn't have topographic maps of the region, It does have some intentional errors, however. For example, I had to morph the shape of the Rhine a bit to fit everything, from Osterbeek Laag Station to the factories east of the bridge, and from the south side of the bridge to the northern approach route into the limitation of a 100 hex wide map. But if that is cause for trashing it, then all Mercator maps should be thrown away (Greenland is not the size of North America!)

The next map I did was a very nice Veghel/Schijndel map. This map utilized prewar Dutch topographic maps and maps from the Battleground Europe series book "Hell's Highway". However, this map was lost when I accidentally saved another map over it, and had no current backup. I didn't have the heart to try to do it over again.

The next map I completed was A beautiful map of the city of Nijmegen. This map utilized numerous pre and post-war maps of the city, as well as aerial photos and pictures from the Battleground Europe book "Nijmegen".

I then did a smaller map of the 4th Brigade landing zone.

The most current map that I have on the drawing board is "Oosterbeek and the landing zones". It is VERY detailed and, thanks to WAWMAP, the elevation is correct. This map utilized more maps and information from members of the Arnhem Battle Research Group, a group of Dutch Market Garden enthusiasts, than any of the others.

Next, I hope to either focus on the 82nd Airborne landing zones or the 30 Corp bridgehead.

Heck, I've even located a guy here in the US whose father-in-law was a veteran of the Arnhem Bridge battle, and who was a personal friend of Frost.

So, you won't find many more Americans who have spent more time studying this campaign than I have.

If you are interested in discussing the campaign, and gaming it with Steel Panthers, please contact me.

Regards,

David Boutwell

Post #: 16
- 6/7/2003 8:50:43 PM   
LordCucumber

David: How can I not be interested :D...

The story of Market Garden is legendary in my country. Since we live real close to Germany in our little country, there are loads of places where you can still find traces of the past World War, many of which have museums or documentation centres attached to them. I've been to Eindhoven and Arnhem on numerous occassions (should any of you guys wever come here, Arnhem has a very nice Zoo!).

I've always taken an interest in what happened in the war in my country.

I live in a city (town? it has 60k + residents) called Ridderkerk. One of the communities that fall under Ridderkerk as a whole is Rijsoord, and it was in Rijsoord that our General Winckelman signed our surrender to the Germans. The schoolbuilding where all this took place is like a 15 min. bicycle ride from where I live.
An old neighbour of mine was 11 years old or so when German para's landed on the dijk next to his house in 1940, to take the bridge near Alblasserdam. He was also there when the allies liberated the town.

Ridderkerk is close to Rotterdam. Most World War enthusiasts/historians know what happened there. They call it Manhattan on the Maas today here because of the modern buildings, since in 1940 the germans leveled the place to force our surrender. Should you ever visit Rotterdam, there is a statue there (made by a man called Zadkine, a well known artist/designer in our country) of how the 'heart of the city' got 'torn out'. It also has a few nice naval musea.

My mom comes from Loosduinen in The Hague. It was the place in the dunes by the North Sea where Germans launched V2s to London. Some areas of the dunes are occasionally closed down when munitions are discovered from the 1940-1945 period.

So yeah.. I'm interested in ANY scenario involving Holland :)

Edit: hmmmm.. reading my post back I feel I can start my own touring business :eek:

Post #: 17
- 6/8/2003 1:27:27 AM   
tracer

[B]
Edit: hmmmm.. reading my post back I feel I can start my own touring business :eek: [/B][/QUOTE]

...and I would hire you! :D Thank you for the stories...these small, personal facts about monumental events cannot be found in history books.

Jim NSB

Post #: 18
- 6/8/2003 9:51:36 PM   
LordCucumber

tracer: not all of them no, haha.. Since we are a small country, we do have A LOT of that going around. Oral history is BIG here if you know where to look. E.G. The father of another neighbour of mine loves sharing stories about his service in Indonesia. Of course they were the only company that wore their uniforms 'like they were on vacation', meaning just shorts and shirts etc. So while very entertaining you gotta keep track of the reality factor with these kinds of stories ;). But most of it is fun and educational and often very personal.

I still curse the day I had a small conversation with a B-something bomber crew veteran. I was on a school trip to a military aviation museum here in Holland, 12 years old and the ONLY kid in the class that controlled his English enough even to start a conversation. I had a good thing going (the guy really wanted to tell me all about the model of the bomber we were examining) when my teacher called me because we were moving on. Ever since my hunger for military historical knowledge cannot be satisfied.

A few weeks ago there was a piece in my local paper about a bomber crew (don't remember the type, but it was a British plane, probably a Lancaster or some such aircraft) who died in a field near where I live. This shows that war stories are still very much alive an people are still grateful for the freedom gained with the liberation of Europe.

Yeah I'm a real semi off topic history freak :D :rolleyes: ;)

Post #: 19
- 6/10/2003 12:41:22 AM   
pops

MARKET GARDEN SINGLE PLAYER CAMPAIGN PULEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE!!!

Post #: 20
- 6/10/2003 8:57:22 AM   
David boutwell

Yeah I'm a real semi off topic history freak :D :rolleyes: ;) [/B][/QUOTE]

Cyricist, I feel your pain! In fact, I view SPWAW as more of a tool to help me study a battle than a game, which puts me well out on the fringe of this community. I enjoy doing the research for a scenario and designing it more than I do playing it.

Pops, don't tempt me! Now you guys have gone and given me the itch to drop working on SPCW for a bit and get back to my Market Garden Mania!

The only problem is that I have never designed a campaign. I prefer to design historical scenarios. One reason for my aversion to campaigns is that my gut instinct is that if a player were allowed to choose the forces in a scenario, 99% would naturally would choose those that would provide them with the best chances of winning the scenario. This would result in a force that in no way resembled the historical unit mix of a battle that I had spent hours researching and designing. If that is the case, why go through the trouble? Just play a scratch battle with no historical background.

Imagine the producers of the "Band of Brothers" Crossroads episode deciding that the suicidal morning assault by a fraction of Easy Company on two companies of SS troops was too likely to come out as a loss, and therefore the attackers needed to have several tanks and a P-47 rocket attack? How would the veterans of that engagement feel about that? It'd be "Pearl Harbor" all over again!

If I could do a series of linked scenarios that are designed like a campaign, then I would consider it. Otherwise, I'll just continue to design large scenarios that many people don't like for two reasons.

First, many people in this community don't want to play a scenario that takes more than an hour or two, even though most of us that are past their twenties started gaming with monsters like Terrible Swift Sword, Highway to the Reich, Wellington's Victory, The Longest Day, Streets of Stalingrad and the regular-sized ASL scenario with all of the hours of reviewing rules, checking tables and stats, etc. The Market Garden scenarios that I have completed to this point include two monster scenarios. Both of which are historical scenarios with historical units that often max out both sides. The first depicts the battle for Arnhem Bridge and 1st Para Brigade's attempt to reinforce Frost. The second depicts the battle for Nijmegan focusing on the fight for the approaches to the Waal River Bridge, as well as the Amphibious crossing of the Waal River..all in one scenario, because both events were coordinated attacks on different ends of the bridge.

The second is the fact that I prefer to provide my forces with historical unit designations. Apparently, people don't want to have to deal with this, but my opinion is that it makes the scenario much more historically rich.

I know, I know...people want to debate about what is historical, etc. I've heard it all, and I don't buy it. A historical scenario is one in which the designer says, "I want to design a scenario that depicts a battle to the best of my abilty and resources". Period. The designer themselves can easily make this determination for themselves. Either they did, or they didn't. Everything else is just excuses because they never really intended to make a historical scenario in the first place.

See, I now have the philosophy of the Lt. in the Band of Brothers episode who, while standing above the red-headed private in the bocage of Normandy, told the private that, until he accepted the fact that he was already a dead man, he would never be an effective soldier. Once upon a time, I tried to do things in such a manner that would be accepted by others in the community. That was like swimming up Niagara Falls. Once I accepted that my philosophy no longer jived with the vast majority of the guys in this community, and that my days here were numbered, I was much better off. But I can definitely say that if someone does try to pass off something with "Market Garden" attached to it, that in no way resembles what it is suppoesd to represent, I will definitely make my opinion be known, whether it holds any weight or not.

On the other hand, if anyone is definitely hardcore about doing anything related to Market Garden that is quality, and historically based, then I will be the first person to throw in my support.

Regards,

David Boutwell

"Out of ammunition. God save the King."

Post #: 21
- 6/10/2003 9:07:16 AM   
M4Jess

never mind

Post #: 22
- 6/10/2003 10:25:44 AM   
David boutwell

Just marking my territory, Jess. You have yours. I have what I consider to be mine.

After being gone for a while, and returning to thread after thread of stuff that reads like it was from the Warcraft III forum, I felt that I needed to stir the waters again. People have said before. There's plenty of room for everyone in here. There are plenty of people patting each other on the back and saying that everything is great. I am of the opinion that if everyone staked out a claim to a particular area, such as Bastogne, Caen, Stalingrad, Berlin or Omaha Beach, etc., and became an expert of sorts on each of these and other areas, then this site would have far greater value as an educational/gaming resource than it is now. Why don't you tell me how many threads in here focus on specific battles and provide other interested parties with quality resources on those battles. If there are what I deem as a sufficient number, I'll shut up. Until then......

I play with others who are interested in the history of the historical scenarios that we design. We play them as an educational experience, as well as for the purpose of playing a good game.

You have many threads in this forum to state your opinion, do you not???

Cyricist, if all you want to do is play scenarios, don't listen to me.....Plus you might want to "fit in" in this forum. If that's the case, avoid me like the plague!

David Boutwell

Post #: 23
Ok... - 6/10/2003 11:47:27 AM   
Orzel Bialy

Gentlemen, before this goes too far and people take real offense, I shall jump in and try to head this off.

There are several distinct groups of people who play SPWAW. Some are in it for the sheer shoot up and blast em play, others are interested in playing only generated Pbem's, while others like scenarios that allow "alternative" possibilities to history and then there are those who might want 100+% historical...not to mention all those who like a combination of all of the above.

The thing is that no one set of them is totally right and no set totally wrong. They are preferences. Because one person doesn't like one variation of the game that should not be considered a visa to come in and berate the other styles.

If you dislike what you see...have the class to send a PM to the person(s) you want to "enlighten" David. Because to waltz into a thread and start "preaching from the pulpit" does little else than generate what is now happening here.

You state that you play with a group of people that "see things as you do"...and that's great. [B]So why don't you invite others to join your group for a look via a thread of your own or a PM?[/B]

Instead of dropping bombs on other peoples posts that only serve to disrupt things...why not share your own views on your own thread? Is that too much to ask...or time consuming for you? I mean...you will get your view across to the intended target, will you not? Why do it this way? If it's to send ripples or waves across the water because you think yourself entitled to do so (because of your knowledge of a subject) then I would have to say that doesn't paint an overly pleasant picture of you in general.

I think you would take a fair amount offense if someone came in on a thread and started doing this to one of your designs...and rightfully so.

I don't think it too much to ask that we be polite to each other whenever possible...and that includes not engaging in what basically ends up "talking down" to other forum members because you are of the opinion that your vast knowledge of a topic grants you that right through the claim of "marking territory" as your own.

SPWAW historical or semi-historical based scenarios are the territory of no one person(s). As I stated at the beginning of this post...there are many different styles of play. Pick the one (or more) you like...enjoy it...and allow others to do the same.

Post #: 24
- 6/10/2003 1:57:06 PM   
David boutwell

Orzel, I think that I'm fine right here.

What did I say that was so offensive, unless something that I said hit close to home? If it did, good. Can this forum not handle someone preaching their ideas, which happen to rub someone the wrong way, from the "pulpit"?

Is there a concern that I would give "new recruits" the wrong impression of this forum? If so, where is the concern that gamers, who have an interest in what the game has to offer to those who like to focus on research and "historical" scenarios, might be turned off by what they see here. The reason why the folks that I PBEM don't come here is exactly that.

And where did I say anything that indiacted to David that I did not like what I saw about any comments that he made? Is it only ok to make comments if they are what everyone else wants to hear? He's probably a big boy and can probably speak for himself. If he is hardcore into Market Garden and trying to depict it in SPWAW, or whether he is into general scenarios, he can say, I'd imagine.

If there are several "distinct" groups of people in this forum, then, although I've been here since the beginning, I still must be too naive to spot the group that is working on developing the definitive scenarios and campaigns for most of the battles in Western Europe, after what is it, six years? That's the problem. The "and then" group is terribly under-represented (Please tell me where those threads are. After that much time, they must be here already. No need for me to start a new one). And then when one of "us" pushes for air time, it's not one of "us" that argues for restraint. Sounds like repression to me!

And give me a break about berating others' styles. If I opened a thread advocating my style (large, long scenarios, using historically designated units), do you not think that someone would "come in" and "berate" mine??? Because it wouldn't take much to raise an alternative opinion to the level of berating, based upon your standard. I would hear counter-opinions all the way to the "top". I've heard them all. Man, those other styles are just encouraged, big time!

"you are of the opinion that your vast knowledge of a topic grants you that right through the claim of "marking territory" as your own."

You've never heard of setting the standard or raising the bar? Guys can lay claim to the largest number of posts, or the most number of kills, etc., or the best looking icons or whatever they are called, but not to the real "meat and potatoes" of the game, huh? that's sad. Because if everyone said, "beat this", how would that negatively impact the game? Didn't this forum have a map contest to supposedly lay claim to a certain title? What the heck was that title gonna be??? best crossroads map? Best map with houses in the shape of a square?? No, people entered because they wanted their stuff to be judged the best. That is "marking" one's "territory", like the term or not! If someone can make a better map of whatever I do than me, I'll be the first one to download it! If somone can do a better job of power spraying my pool deck, doing my laundry and changing dirty diapers than me, I want to see it! Get the point???

Like I said, I stopped worrying so much about the picture I painted. I'm not here to win a popularity contest, and i'm not here to find opponents. I'm here to advocate for some balance. And in this arena, it won't happen by tossing rose petals at people. You can think that i'm an a-hole or not. that's your choice, and I'm not going to loose a tremendous amount of sleep over it. But at the end of the day, if you and I have a common goal or interest, we'll still talk, because there aren't a lot of guys out there who have an interest in working on graphics/icons, making maps and studying Western Europe campaigns and battles with a fine-toothed comb. I'll contact an a-hole any day if they know something that I want or need to know. I learned that from my college organic chemistry professor.

So, lets stop this crap, and whomever wants to talk about Market Garden stuff, chime in! Or you can continue to perpetuate exactly what you are arguing against.

David Boutwell

Post #: 25
...and some of us... - 6/10/2003 3:55:38 PM   
Kokoda

...would play historical, or hypothetical, or an obviously 'losing' battle, without caring too much at all which camp we are in. We can get pleasure from the game in many different forms.

Some of us don't even care if we win, as long as it's entertaining. That's a pretty handy attitude for me, still learning and all.

I don't believe there needs to be a dichotomy between the different styles or motivations for playing, and I don't believe we need to maintain that there are distinct groups. That in itself suggests there is a right and a wrong way to play.

CHRIS

Post #: 26
- 6/10/2003 4:16:10 PM   
RobW

All, I think I need to add something here. I have played PBEM (and lost every time), I have played against the computer, I have played the "based on actual battles" scenarios and I have played random maps. Each time I am after something different so fall into no-ones camp. The only thing I want each time is a challenge - if that is available in an historical setting like Jess's Market Garden (which is a visually stunning and very challenging map) then I am happy, if its a random map I am also happy.

In all of this I have only played 1 game I didn't enjoy - that was my own fault and I think I got beaten after about 10 turns. What we all need to remember is that SPWAW, when calculating hits, casualties, reactions etc is random (ish). Historical only goes so far (like the first move of the first turn). We make do with what we have and enjoy ourselves. The only really historical thing that can be created is the map of the area (to a point as SPWAW cannot render everything we would like) and the starting compositions of the forces - we are all individual, have different style, use different (and unconventional tactics) and get breaks that did not occur in reality (like seeing artillery smoke from 50 hexes away when visibility is only 10 hexes).

I guess what I am trying to say is relax, enjoy playing what we are given and try to educate each other - I would love to be able to place a scenario on here, have people play it and give me feedback - I would never claim that anything I did was historical - perhaps the term should be "slightly more accurate than a random map with some bridges and towns on it".

Any way, enough from me, time for me to get these Germans moving again!

Post #: 27
- 6/10/2003 8:43:29 PM   
M4Jess

and....

Where are the DAR/AARs on Davids "perfect" designs?

Oh thats right..those guys are playing and enjoying mine!;)

And while out of scale..mine rocks!:cool:

Post #: 28
- 6/10/2003 8:48:49 PM   
cadmus

Gentlemen ... Gentlemen .. no need for rancor or bruised sensitivites here. One of the beauties of SP:WaW is that it creates a really "big tent", with room enough to accomodate gamers with a wide variety of tastes, preferences and vices. Mr. Boutwell's thoughts on the joys and satisfactions associated with a rigorously "historical" approach, with opportunities for learning and close study, struck a responsive chord with me. And his references to past classics such as Terrible Swift Sword, Highway to the Reich, Wellington's Victory, etc., bought back pleasant memories of many long, intense hours of gaming and learning. His approach allows SP:WaW to provide the same sort of pleasures.

On the other hand, Jess has designed an incredible number of scenarios (does he ever sleep?) that, by virtue of his careful thought, scrupulous attention to detail and incredible understanding of the system have given me some of the best challenges, highest intensity and greatest fun I've had in gaming in many a year.

Why do I have to choose one approach over the other? Thanks to the flexibility of SP:WaW and the efforts of chaps like Jess and Dave, I don't have to. My profound thanks to all you guys. Keep it up.

Post #: 29
Re: ...and some of us... - 6/10/2003 8:50:17 PM   
tracer

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kokoda
[B]

I don't believe there needs to be a dichotomy between the different styles or motivations for playing, and I don't believe we need to maintain that there are distinct groups. That in itself suggests there is a right and a wrong way to play. [/B][/QUOTE]

Beer! This same friction occurred not too long ago between the C&C'ers and the non-C&C'ers, and thankfully blew over. Remember that these are [I]preferences;[/I] I expect everyone to have a 'better/worse' opinion about any aspect of SPWAW, but elevating that to 'right & wrong' is a mistake. I encourage [I]ANY[/I] opinion; by nurturing a larger fan-base we all benefit. :)

Jim NSB

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Scenarios/Campaigns >> Market Garden Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI