Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

AI Expectations?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> AI Expectations? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
AI Expectations? - 12/26/2018 5:11:50 PM   
Molon Labe

Hi everyone. I've had the game about a year; I've played one campaign as the allies and I'm in early June 1942 in my first campaign as the Japanese.

I thought the AI was adequate playing as the Allies, but as Japan, the Allies are doing little to nothing to get in my way. The US and UK are just throwing waves of transports at me for me to sink. Of particular concern, I have yet to see any US CVBG, even after taking the Solomons and Port Moresby. Should I expect the AI to implement some sort of battle plan soon or is it normal for them passively let the war happen?
Post #: 1
RE: AI Expectations? - 12/26/2018 5:45:49 PM   
GetAssista

If you are in mid 42 then it is too early to tell. AI does some coherent amphib invasions in 43+ when it finally has the material.

But yes, AI is not as proficient in concentrating forces as a human would be. Give him some slack for the sake of having a good game. Or change your objectives. E.g. conquering the world against AI can be fun. A different set of challenges

(in reply to Molon Labe)
Post #: 2
RE: AI Expectations? - 12/26/2018 5:58:34 PM   
Molon Labe

I'm mostly just trying to learn the game from Japan's side right now, getting a feel for the economy, OOB, strategic priorities, etc., while also practicing putting operations together that run smoothly and (hopefully) don't fall to pieces when the enemy does something to counter.

I was also looking forward to some carrier battles, though.

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 3
RE: AI Expectations? - 12/26/2018 7:57:22 PM   
Korvar

I'm in a similar situation playing as the Allies against the AI. I traded the Enterprise for the whole of the KB in the first two months of '42, and as a result was able to deny southern Sumatra and the whole of Java to the Japanese. In the time up to mid '43, I've pretty much clobbered the IJN, with event the few carrier battles being lopsided victories.

The only reason I continue to play this campaign is I'm gaining experience with the "nuts and bolts" of the game. Organizing and managing amphibious campaigns in particular are valuable skills to develop in the safe environment of an AI game. Long-term planning and management of the OOB is another. Refining logistics skills is always desirable.

"Turn management" is a perhaps overlooked but desirable skill in new players; that is, how to be efficient at processing the information & events of a particular turn so that turns can be processed quickly with the minimal amount of things "falling through the cracks". The game does an excellent job of making the information available, in general, but one must "massage" the data correctly to do it in a timely manner. Efficient turn processing translates into being a more reliable opponent in future PBEM games.

In summary, I feel obliged to any future human opponent to at least be technically competent in conducting the various types of operations required in the typical campaign, so that when the time comes, it will be to the highest degree possible a true contest of strategy and wits and not an exercise in me falling on my own sword due to unfamiliarity with the game.

(in reply to Molon Labe)
Post #: 4
RE: AI Expectations? - 12/28/2018 2:08:40 AM   
Alfred

Molon Labe,

You should read this tread of a couple of days ago on largely the same subject.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4573366

Carrier battles do  not exist in a vacuum.  The script writers were very much aware that a human Japanese player would, unlike the historical situation, maintain the full KB in being.  That means until mid 1943 the Allies will be inferior to Japan in carrier terms (both qualitatively and quantity).  Why would you expect to see the inferior Allied carrier force to be sent piecemeal to be destroyed?  A script writer who specifically wrote it so would be roundly criticised.  The simple realistic fact is that Allied carriers are to be used to support the general Allied counterattack, IOW as part of a combined arms operation.

Alfred

(in reply to Korvar)
Post #: 5
RE: AI Expectations? - 12/30/2018 10:32:35 AM   
Yaab

Great expectations envelop new player
Scripts cannot survive contact with enemy
Kamikazes scatter to the four winds

< Message edited by Yaab -- 12/30/2018 10:33:37 AM >

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> AI Expectations? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI