Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

From PBEM++ to regular PBEM

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Tech Support >> From PBEM++ to regular PBEM Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
From PBEM++ to regular PBEM - 2/6/2019 3:34:34 PM   
nukkxx5058

Hi, I was wondering if there's a way to transform a PBEM++ game (which is located onto the server) into a regular PBEM with local saves and emails exchanges ?

This is because suddenly my Upload stream from my ISP has become very poor with socket loss and it's not anymore sufficient to upload my turn in full on the server (guess the files are quite large). So I thought that maybe it would be a good idea to transform my current PBEM++ games into standard PBEM games.

Any idea if it's possible ?

Thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: From PBEM++ to regular PBEM - 2/6/2019 3:58:46 PM   
gwgardner

I haven't tried this, but you could give it a shot: next time in the game, do a regular save instead of a close, and a save file will go to your disk. Then try opening up that save file as a non-PBEM++ game.

Do a close after doing that save, to be sure the PBEM++ could be continued if desired.

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 2
RE: From PBEM++ to regular PBEM - 2/6/2019 4:41:23 PM   
nukkxx5058

I think it's not working. It says that versions are not compatible or something ... if I remember well last time a friend tried.
On the other hand, i don't wanna risk to sabotage the file so I better be 100% sure before doing something ...

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 3
RE: From PBEM++ to regular PBEM - 2/6/2019 7:16:25 PM   
larryfulkerson

4.1.0.20 and later versions will not read a saved game file that was written
by 4.1.0.4. You'll have to use the right version to read it, to load it.
Most saved game files are written by the older versions, because they were
released first. But that's a good idea and I'm thinking it should work.

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 2/6/2019 7:17:16 PM >

If we're all created in the image of god then why aren't we all invisible?

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 4
RE: From PBEM++ to regular PBEM - 2/10/2019 1:04:46 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

Hi, I was wondering if there's a way to transform a PBEM++ game (which is located onto the server) into a regular PBEM with local saves and emails exchanges ?

I just now tried it with my current PBEM++ game. I chose "save as..." in the file menu and used the name it gave me and saved it in my saves folder just like it was a genuene saved game file and the game engine shut down immediately after the write operation concluded and I killed the session to make sure there wasn't something still in memory that it might try to re-use. And I thought I'd use the 4.1.0.23 version to see what happens...to see if I get the message that "This version can't read the file you're trying to load because it was made with a different version of the game engine so your SOL. Unless you've got a copy of an older version of the game engine that matches the version of the saved game file. Good luck." And I chose load game and it loaded the file with no trouble at all and I was duely impressed. I played the rest of the turn and did the "save-as" again and that was that, as best I can recall.

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 2/10/2019 1:05:07 AM >

If we're all created in the image of god then why aren't we all invisible?

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Tech Support >> From PBEM++ to regular PBEM Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI