Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

AWNT a trumpet I shall blow!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> AWNT a trumpet I shall blow! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
AWNT a trumpet I shall blow! - 1/13/2019 10:20:42 PM   
wodin

Sure Matrix won't mind me talking about website as we cover their releases.

Anyway just been perusing the page (A Wargamers Needful Things) and I have to say I came away very impressed with the in-depth professional reviews the team produces. Probably my only gripe is I wish we could publish something everyday, but we do this in our free time. Obviously if it was a professional website a lot more could be done.

S0 I publicly want to thank first co owner Bob and then the team Mike Wall, Joe B, Mark Hathaway, Jason and finally Sophie (whom I hope gets chance to cover some new areas like Graphic novels and other items of interest).

Now to you the readers both old, new and future. Please tell us what you enjoy and what you'd like to see covered. Or those who don't check in what would tempt you to click our way? Say here, by email or by PM.

PS work on AWNTs PC conversion of Minden Games Combat Leader continues.

Link

< Message edited by wodin -- 1/13/2019 11:49:59 PM >

Post #: 1
RE: AWNT a trumpet I shall blow! - 1/13/2019 10:54:17 PM   
demyansk

I like the website as well. Glad you can post

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 2
RE: AWNT a trumpet I shall blow! - 1/13/2019 11:48:04 PM   
wodin

Thanks for thumbs up!

(in reply to demyansk)
Post #: 3
RE: AWNT a trumpet I shall blow! - 1/14/2019 9:45:05 AM   
demyansk

Lots of good articles that compliment the Matrix games and others. I am getting Cuba L soon a solitaire game, see how it plays compared to computer games.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 4
RE: AWNT a trumpet I shall blow! - 1/14/2019 10:24:02 AM   
Rodwonder

Doing good... Bravo!!

(in reply to demyansk)
Post #: 5
RE: AWNT a trumpet I shall blow! - 1/14/2019 2:34:25 PM   
Gilmer

I like what I see when I get a chance to take a look. I bet there are some articles I wish I had read on there in the history of it. So, I should take a day sometime and just browse.

"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/11/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon

(in reply to Rodwonder)
Post #: 6
RE: AWNT a trumpet I shall blow! - 1/15/2019 9:07:18 PM   
wodin

Yes do Kurt! Some great reviews there!

(in reply to Gilmer)
Post #: 7
RE: AWNT a trumpet I shall blow! - 1/16/2019 5:56:12 AM   
Rosseau

AWNT is honestly my primary site for wargame reviews when you have them. Even Wargamer gets a little wishy-washy and I don't know the new writers there. A Few Good Men and others are fine, but they tend to focus on HPS multiplayer hook-ups, sea and air warfare; i.e., they have become more niche-oriented, which is fine. But I personally would not rely on them too heavily to do a good job on something like Armored Brigade, Panzer Corps 2, OOB Endsieg DLC, etc.

Matrix/Slitherine has grown so much, I think it's a good idea (imo) to focus on their games, both old and new and revisit some older titles that people are still playing like crazy, or may not even know exist outside of our little group here. At the same time maintaining your credibility with games like Check Your Six, just as an example, which may not garner a great review. It's a difficult balancing act and I'm still doing it after 36 years. Based on that print media experience, it is sometimes incredible the respect you can generate by telling it as you see it - even among the companies that don't get that stellar review.

I think it's important to be up close and personal, and let readers get to know your writers and their backgrounds. Other things would be annual or quarterly polls. We did a State of the Industry Report every year relying on paper surveys. We got back more than enough to get a picture of the industry we were serving. Why not your own "Wargame of the Year" awards, etc.? I'm sure the folks at M/S would like to know what their customers think as a whole. Steam is way too diluted. Games get positive reviews but can often be lacking.

Stating the very obvious, create a site that caters to relatively serious strategy/wargame buyers. They don't have to be history nuts, per se, as we're getting older. Good (or not so good) games on Steam like Third Front WWII, Attrition Tactical Fronts, Afgan 11's newer DLC, Air Missions HIND, Ancient Warfare 3, Apollo 4x, Army General, Atlantic Fleet, the simpler (compared to Matrix) HexWar games, Bomber Crew, CoH Eastern Front, Firefight, Graviteam, the old but great Matrix Hell game, IWO: Bloodbath, Longsword Tabletop Tactics.

I could go on and on, but no one is covering this stuff, whether they are winners or not. At the same time deepening your relationships with the Matrix/Slitherine execs and the devs. What might they be looking for that you can provide? You can still be seen as objective even while strengthening your ties right here. Again, I'd say the biggest thing is earning people's respect. You also have some forum members here that could write the book on the wargaming industry. I think you have a lot more allies here on this forum already than any other website. That matters.

You've got some super-intelligent people on these forums both marketing and business-wise. There are some real players here (unlike me) and I am confident they already know you, like you, and would be happy to help. It's still all about relationships, but you're already part-way there.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 8
RE: AWNT a trumpet I shall blow! - 1/17/2019 11:43:54 AM   
wodin

Thanks for that! Sort of input I want.

So many games to cover. However it's all about it the developer wants us to review. We on principal only review games sent to us if we also reviewed games we bought that I feel would be unfair on those willing to send us review copies.

I'd love it if our output was daily even better a few articles everyday but unlike say Wargamer and RPS we are purely voluntary doing this in our spare time. If we became a professional website then we would be able to cover far more than we do.

We do need to do some Awards I agree on that. That has to be a goal at least for end of year so we can do game of year.

Need to try do more comps haven't had one for awhile.

As for all those Steam games well if you fancied joining the team to try get them to review them the door is open!😉

Thanks again for the thumbs up.

One thing that's so difficult is getting the website out there. What would be fantastic is it you readers frequent clubs or forums who'd be I interested then spread the word. To become professional we need regular readers and lots of them. I know we've barely hit the military history reader community. Also the boardgame community has barely been scratched. If you enjoy a review and also frequent BGG by all means post about it over there. You see when we've tried to here and there was he word spamming has been used, so can be difficult. It's all about numbers if we wanted to get advertising (not liked I know but it will mean a better website). Honestly if I could turn it into a professional webpage I'd jump at the chance. For starters I'd like to create a more professional look to the page.

We do have bios of the team, recent team members will soon have theirs up too. Under Commanding Officers (little nod to Parusski who had just joined team, sadly never got to review). I've had a year and a half of hell so certain parts of page have fallen out of date. Expect Incoming to be updated asap, it's well out of date!

If anyone has more to say about what they like or don't like or want or even why you don't click our way please more input the better.

Thanks

Jason

PS Check your Six was reviewed I'm sure.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rosseau

AWNT is honestly my primary site for wargame reviews when you have them. Even Wargamer gets a little wishy-washy and I don't know the new writers there. A Few Good Men and others are fine, but they tend to focus on HPS multiplayer hook-ups, sea and air warfare; i.e., they have become more niche-oriented, which is fine. But I personally would not rely on them too heavily to do a good job on something like Armored Brigade, Panzer Corps 2, OOB Endsieg DLC, etc.

Matrix/Slitherine has grown so much, I think it's a good idea (imo) to focus on their games, both old and new and revisit some older titles that people are still playing like crazy, or may not even know exist outside of our little group here. At the same time maintaining your credibility with games like Check Your Six, just as an example, which may not garner a great review. It's a difficult balancing act and I'm still doing it after 36 years. Based on that print media experience, it is sometimes incredible the respect you can generate by telling it as you see it - even among the companies that don't get that stellar review.

I think it's important to be up close and personal, and let readers get to know your writers and their backgrounds. Other things would be annual or quarterly polls. We did a State of the Industry Report every year relying on paper surveys. We got back more than enough to get a picture of the industry we were serving. Why not your own "Wargame of the Year" awards, etc.? I'm sure the folks at M/S would like to know what their customers think as a whole. Steam is way too diluted. Games get positive reviews but can often be lacking.

Stating the very obvious, create a site that caters to relatively serious strategy/wargame buyers. They don't have to be history nuts, per se, as we're getting older. Good (or not so good) games on Steam like Third Front WWII, Attrition Tactical Fronts, Afgan 11's newer DLC, Air Missions HIND, Ancient Warfare 3, Apollo 4x, Army General, Atlantic Fleet, the simpler (compared to Matrix) HexWar games, Bomber Crew, CoH Eastern Front, Firefight, Graviteam, the old but great Matrix Hell game, IWO: Bloodbath, Longsword Tabletop Tactics.

I could go on and on, but no one is covering this stuff, whether they are winners or not. At the same time deepening your relationships with the Matrix/Slitherine execs and the devs. What might they be looking for that you can provide? You can still be seen as objective even while strengthening your ties right here. Again, I'd say the biggest thing is earning people's respect. You also have some forum members here that could write the book on the wargaming industry. I think you have a lot more allies here on this forum already than any other website. That matters.

You've got some super-intelligent people on these forums both marketing and business-wise. There are some real players here (unlike me) and I am confident they already know you, like you, and would be happy to help. It's still all about relationships, but you're already part-way there.

< Message edited by wodin -- 1/17/2019 11:57:46 AM >

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> AWNT a trumpet I shall blow! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI