Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Air Transfer

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Air Transfer Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Air Transfer - 6/21/2019 10:38:02 AM   
George Patton

Is it possible to transfer air squadron from East Coast to Burma, with stop in Aleutinian Is., URSS and China?
I've never tried this before, since I play mostly as japs.
Post #: 1
RE: Air Transfer - 6/21/2019 11:54:38 AM   
MBF

Possibly after Soviet activation but I doubt before that - I go East Coast --> Aden --> Karachi --> Calcutta via rail (depending on airframe)

(in reply to George Patton)
Post #: 2
RE: Air Transfer - 6/21/2019 1:07:24 PM   
USSAmerica

I'd have to check the map but some of the longest range planes, like PBY's, might be able to reach a base in China from the Aleutians.

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to MBF)
Post #: 3
RE: Air Transfer - 6/21/2019 5:20:07 PM   
George Patton

Maybe also the B-17 could do the jump from the Aleutians. I've to check too.
So it's not possible to make a stop in USSR?

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 4
RE: Air Transfer - 6/21/2019 6:05:21 PM   
HansBolter

Just checked and confirmed that B24Js, which have the same range as PBY5s and PBY5As (16/20), can't hop from Shemya Island to Shanghai.

The PBYs with drop tanks get an increase in range to 19/23 and might be able to make that hop.

So in general, except for some flying boats and maybe the available in limited numbers LB30, it doesn't look practical. Not to mention the attrition you would suffer for such long range transfers.

Hans

Post #: 5
RE: Air Transfer - 6/22/2019 3:34:32 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

Just checked and confirmed that B24Js, which have the same range as PBY5s and PBY5As (16/20), can't hop from Shemya Island to Shanghai.

The PBYs with drop tanks get an increase in range to 19/23 and might be able to make that hop.

So in general, except for some flying boats and maybe the available in limited numbers LB30, it doesn't look practical. Not to mention the attrition you would suffer for such long range transfers.

+1
Attu to Shanghai is 64 hexes. The earlier B-17ds have a transfer range of 63 hexes - not enough to bypass Japan and the Kuriles. Later B-17s give up range for radar, armour and weapons. The LB-30 (bomber version) has a transfer range of 74 and could make it, but only a few Naval Air units use it.
The PBY 4 has a range of 64 but this drops to 56 for later models.
The Coronado has a longer range but I don't know the transfer range. Basically it is not a feasible plan to go from USA across the north unless an Island like Chi-Chi Jima is Allied.

Air units can transfer directly between off-map bases linked by the channel representing shipping lanes. If they are handled like LCUs transferring this way (sans ship), they may take longer to get there than you want. A fast transport ship can beat the automatic transfer time. The Allies get enough big, fast xAPs that they can afford to put a half dozen on the route EC USA to Capetown (or Aden when open in 1943). Who cares if they are hauling aircraft and cargo instead of troops, they are too big for most on-map ports anyway.

< Message edited by BBfanboy -- 6/22/2019 3:44:23 AM >

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 6
RE: Air Transfer - 6/22/2019 5:48:21 AM   
George Patton

Many thanks for the infos.
I'll encounter some problems transferring planes by ships. I'm on December 29th 1941, and Japs took New Caledonia, Fiji and Raoul Island. Who knows where they will go next.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 7
RE: Air Transfer - 6/22/2019 5:53:16 AM   
Korvar

When GP (btd64) sees this thread...

Post #: 8
RE: Air Transfer - 6/22/2019 1:08:35 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: George Patton

Many thanks for the infos.
I'll encounter some problems transferring planes by ships. I'm on December 29th 1941, and Japs took New Caledonia, Fiji and Raoul Island. Who knows where they will go next.

That's early to be taking those bases, but to do that he must have bypassed some bases that you can use to cause some pain in his rear ...
Whether you sneak in some air support and use them for aircraft transfers or surprise DB attacks, or hide an AVD or AS there and patrol/raid with PBYs and subs is up to you ...
Sure you risk some assets but a spoiling attack of some kind is the best way to check his overly ambitious advance.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Post #: 9
RE: Air Transfer - 6/22/2019 5:59:16 PM   
spence

Don't think any Allied planes can stop in the USSR until the USSR is at war with Japan.

USN) The Empire Express bombing the Kuriles from Attu had a number of crews interned by the Russians after battle damage forced them to land at/near Petropavlosk. An interesting description of the experiences of those crews can be found at: https://www.vpnavy.com/adobe/vpb135_1944_23sep2003.pdf

(NOTE: In the game PV-1s don't have enough range to bomb Paramushiro from Attu but they did it fairly regularly apparently)

Post #: 10
RE: Air Transfer - 6/24/2019 2:10:17 PM   
Nowi Ribak

quote:

ORIGINAL: spence

Don't think any Allied planes can stop in the USSR until the USSR is at war with Japan.

USN) The Empire Express bombing the Kuriles from Attu had a number of crews interned by the Russians after battle damage forced them to land at/near Petropavlosk. An interesting description of the experiences of those crews can be found at: https://www.vpnavy.com/adobe/vpb135_1944_23sep2003.pdf

(NOTE: In the game PV-1s don't have enough range to bomb Paramushiro from Attu but they did it fairly regularly apparently)

Compelling read, thank you very much for the link.
BR

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 11
RE: Air Transfer - 6/24/2019 7:32:38 PM   
George Patton

When GP (btd64) sees this thread...

and?

< Message edited by George Patton -- 6/24/2019 7:33:35 PM >

(in reply to Korvar)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Air Transfer Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI