Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Return of the Shakturi storyline

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Return of the Shakturi storyline Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Return of the Shakturi storyline - 9/10/2018 9:35:04 AM   
Galahad78

So, I began my first "Return of the Shakturi" game a couple of weeks ago. All is proceeding more or less smoothly (40 empires, lots of wars, lots of diplomatic contacts - much more than in my previous standard games - very fun so far). I've found a couple of messages speaking of the Shakturi, but what else is supposed to happen before they start conquering the whole galaxy?

Also, in a totally unrelated topic: what do the lines linking my systems simbolize? I realize that they change from time to time as my Empire develops, could it be "prefered" starlanes for civil shipping?
Post #: 1
RE: Return of the Shakturi storyline - 9/10/2018 3:38:00 PM   
Bingeling

The lines should be links between spaceports. I do not think they really mean all that much, but are handy when it comes to figure out where the main colonies of yourself and your enemies are.

For the Shakturi, I do not know, as I never played it, but it should be about being advanced enough (tech?) and discovering some stuff hidden away.

(in reply to Galahad78)
Post #: 2
RE: Return of the Shakturi storyline - 9/10/2018 3:52:26 PM   
LordMM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Galahad78

So, I began my first "Return of the Shakturi" game a couple of weeks ago. All is proceeding more or less smoothly (40 empires, lots of wars, lots of diplomatic contacts - much more than in my previous standard games - very fun so far). I've found a couple of messages speaking of the Shakturi, but what else is supposed to happen before they start conquering the whole galaxy?

No spoilers , play through the game and find out. The first time is the best time, so don't spoil your playthrough with the answer.

< Message edited by LordMM -- 9/10/2018 3:53:27 PM >

(in reply to Galahad78)
Post #: 3
RE: Return of the Shakturi storyline - 9/10/2018 4:50:17 PM   
SirHoraceHarkness

The shaktari come into play after you meet certain technological and diplomatic triggers. Do your best to stay in the mechanoids good graces. You will want to prioritize a hefty military from the start because they are very tough even at the beginning.

(in reply to LordMM)
Post #: 4
RE: Return of the Shakturi storyline - 9/10/2018 5:43:40 PM   
Omnius

Galahad78,
Watch out for the Desolation Moon abandoned ship, it is a massive planet killer ship that the Shakturi tend to get ahold of and once repaired it sails around blowing up planets. If the Shakturi do get it and do sail around with it make sure to build a good heavy fleet to hunt it down and kill it before it destroys too many of your planets. You'll also want to research the line of biological warfare techs that lead to building a facility that allows you to deploy the Zaractor Virus. Then it's fun infecting the Shakturi planets and watching their population die. However they're sneaky and will move around trying to outrun the virus.

(in reply to SirHoraceHarkness)
Post #: 5
RE: Return of the Shakturi storyline - 9/10/2018 8:42:32 PM   
Aeson

quote:

Watch out for the Desolation Moon abandoned ship

There are actually several different names for that, though they're all similarly cheery, and there isn't necessarily only one of them - I've seen up to four in Huge 1500-star galaxies with both the RotS and Original storylines enabled.

quote:

You'll also want to research the line of biological warfare techs that lead to building a facility that allows you to deploy the Zaractor Virus. Then it's fun infecting the Shakturi planets and watching their population die. However they're sneaky and will move around trying to outrun the virus.

The Xaractor Virus is only available in the Ancient Galaxy scenario or in custom games using the Ancient Galaxy theme and so isn't necessarily available in a Return of the Shakturi game.

(in reply to Omnius)
Post #: 6
RE: Return of the Shakturi storyline - 9/10/2018 10:12:55 PM   
Omnius

Aeson,
Thanks for the clarification on the Xaractor Virus. I indeed played that Ancient Galaxy scenario as the first one after the intro game. Looks like they used a resupply ship as the base for that planet killer ship.

Out of curiosity are there any problems if you ran a custom game with more than 1 theme running? Like Ancient and Return of the Shakturi or even all three? I opted for a plain vanilla one for my first custom game.

(in reply to Aeson)
Post #: 7
RE: Return of the Shakturi storyline - 9/10/2018 11:38:07 PM   
Aeson

There isn't a Return of the Shakturi theme, as far as I am aware, unless there's a mod that adds one. The Shadows, Distant Worlds Original, Legends, and Return of the Shakturi buttons on the first game creation menu are just buttons for creating a custom game in the Default theme with some of the options preset. Unmodded Distant Worlds: Universe has three themes - Default, Distant Worlds Original, and Ancient Galaxy - and to the best of my knowledge two - the Default and Distant Worlds Original themes - differ only cosmetically from one another while the third - the Ancient Galaxy theme - is entirely additive, putting a few extras into the tech tree (the aforementioned Xaractor Virus as well as some wonders and researchable superweapon technologies, maybe some other things) and offering a premade scenario. I am not aware of any technical problems caused by playing with any combination of the Shadows, Original, Legends, or Return of the Shakturi storylines, regardless of whether you use the Default, Distant Worlds Original, or Ancient Galaxy themes.

As to the question of playing a game with multiple themes enabled, I do not believe that you can do so directly; the game can only have one theme loaded at a time. That said, if you know what you're doing, you can combine multiple themes into one; I believe there are directions for doing so, or at least for creating a theme, somewhere in the Modding subforum or maybe in the DW:Universe manual. The difficulty of doing so will obviously be dependent upon how compatible the themes that you're trying to combine are.

(in reply to Omnius)
Post #: 8
RE: Return of the Shakturi storyline - 9/13/2018 9:19:03 PM   
Omnius

Aeson,
Actually I didn't mean theme but more a choice in the setup for a custom game. It shows 3 different options for rules, basically the Ancient, the Original and the Return if I remember correctly. I actually unclicked all of those buttons to play a plain vanilla game for my first custom game.

Thanks for the info. Right now I'm trying to master the unmodded game before considering mods.

(in reply to Aeson)
Post #: 9
RE: Return of the Shakturi storyline - 9/13/2018 9:28:00 PM   
SirHoraceHarkness

quote:

ORIGINAL: Omnius

Thanks for the info. Right now I'm trying to master the unmodded game before considering mods.

I would still use this mod as it keeps the game in its vanilla state but greatly improves how the ai plays and how your own ai performs when set to run parts of your empire. It also tweaks the races so they don't stall out or perform poorly which will directly effect a given games fun level. Nothing worse than a batch of poor ai to fight. Think of it as a quality of life mod and not a gameplay changing one.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3647528

(in reply to Omnius)
Post #: 10
RE: Return of the Shakturi storyline - 9/14/2018 5:06:52 PM   
Aeson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Omnius

Aeson,
Actually I didn't mean theme but more a choice in the setup for a custom game. It shows 3 different options for rules, basically the Ancient, the Original and the Return if I remember correctly. I actually unclicked all of those buttons to play a plain vanilla game for my first custom game.

Are you talking about the check boxes in the Victory Conditions screen? Those enable the storyline events and locations, which I referred to above as the storylines. They're all mutually compatible with one another and with the three themes that come with the unmodded game, as far as I am aware.

(in reply to Omnius)
Post #: 11
RE: Return of the Shakturi storyline - 9/17/2018 3:41:58 PM   
Omnius

Aeson,
Thanks for the info on the 3 options we can choose during a custom game setup, I was wondering if storylines would clash if more than 1 were picked.

(in reply to Aeson)
Post #: 12
RE: Return of the Shakturi storyline - 9/17/2018 10:28:13 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bingeling

The lines should be links between spaceports. I do not think they really mean all that much, but are handy when it comes to figure out where the main colonies of yourself and your enemies are.

For the Shakturi, I do not know, as I never played it, but it should be about being advanced enough (tech?) and discovering some stuff hidden away.

Like you said, the The lines basically just point back to your spaceports. Probably just a visual queue so you can find them on the map.

And you are right about the Shakturi, you have to get to a certain tech level and then you'll get a set of coordinates to investigate to actually trigger them, IIRC.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 13
RE: Return of the Shakturi storyline - 9/18/2018 4:05:56 PM   
Omnius

Shark7,
You'll notice that the lines spoke out from spaceports to colonies without spaceports, notice how you'll have multiple non-spaceport colonies linked to a spaceport, but if you upgrade the spaceport then those linkages go away until the spaceport is built but that doesn't mean you'll see the same linkages as before.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 14
RE: Return of the Shakturi storyline - 9/18/2018 10:56:58 PM   
Shark7

And you will also notice that usually the lines will connect 2 spaceports to each other. Although I have seen a spaceport connected only to feeder planets, and not to another port before, though usually when you find and 'capture' and abandoned space port. It really is just a visual thing to show you where your spaceports (operational/fully built) are and for simulated trade routes.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Omnius)
Post #: 15
RE: Return of the Shakturi storyline - 6/8/2019 1:20:02 PM   
chaosegg

Edit: I now have some idea about what some of this does:
Both have some ship graveyards added? (or just original storyline?), and maybe some planet destroyers+tech for planet destroying...
not sure about other techs besides the Shakturi weapons.
_The finding evidence and storyline/lore stuff I know about from playing my last game with both of the storyline options checked ENABLED, and following the coordinate chain up to Way of the Ancients in an abandoned space station (along with a lot of money, 8 techs and map info etc... quite a nice prize though annoying that it seems to make exploring ruins sort of "on hold" till you send a ship to the coordinates).
__
Edit 2: Brief searching appears say that where the Way of the Ancients / Darkness comes from is Shakturi storyline exploration event (derelict lore chain thing),
OR
you can find it[, the new gov. system] in a randomly placed, singular, specific ruin (imperial archive?)...
is this still accurate?
___
I am actually looking for info. on exactly what those check boxes on the new game Victory Conditions page do:
(I'm still playing the DW version just before Universe, with all the expansions & updates, so mine still says "DW original Storyline", and "RotS storyline")
The lower left of the screen... I'll just upload a screenshot eh,
but I would really like to know exactly what these options do.
____

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by chaosegg -- 6/8/2019 2:20:43 PM >

Modify, upgrade, build, or destroy;
in the end 'what' must follow 'why',
and if you have no answer for 'why',
then "to reduce suffering" is a good start.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 16
RE: Return of the Shakturi storyline - 6/8/2019 9:19:55 PM   
Aeson

To the best of my recollection:

Original Storyline:
- Major (named) debris fields
- Galactic history event locations, including Strategic Reserves (collections of operational or lightly-damaged middling-high tech derelict warships)
- Incomplete superweapon projects (randomly 0-2, affected by map size)
- Up to one of each secret government ruin
- Up to one of each superweapon ruin

RotS Storyline:
- Up to one of each secret government ruin
- Up to one of each superweapon ruin
- Incomplete superweapon projects (randomly 0-2, affected by map size)
- Beacon ruins/derelicts
- The Ancient Guardians faction
- The ability to unlock a secret government by pursuing the storyline rather than finding the government ruins before anyone else (the one you get depends on which side of the war you end up on)

quote:

Edit 2: Brief searching appears say that where the Way of the Ancients / Darkness comes from is Shakturi storyline exploration event (derelict lore chain thing),
OR
you can find it[, the new gov. system] in a randomly placed, singular, specific ruin (imperial archive?)...
is this still accurate?

Yes. The Imperial Archives are for the Way of the Ancients while the Temple of Eternal Blackness grants Way of Darkness, and pursuing the RotS storyline can grant you either Way of the Ancients or Way of Darkness depending on which side of the war you end up on.

Note that you only get the secret government if your empire is the first to explore the ruin, and that the same holds for other ruin events (superweapon techs, cash, ships, pirate ambushes, kaltor swarms, et cetera).

As a reminder, this is to the best of my recollection and as such some things could be incorrect.

(in reply to chaosegg)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Return of the Shakturi storyline Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI