Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How well could a modern CSG defend off a attack from Russia or China?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> How well could a modern CSG defend off a attack from Russia or China? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How well could a modern CSG defend off a attack from Ru... - 5/19/2019 7:33:47 PM   
Mickeys91

If China or Russia were to plan a surprise attack on a Carrier strike group a few hundred miles off its coast what are the chances of them succeeding? I know this depends a lot on time, place and what forces are in play but for sake we'll just say both the attackers have a pretty decent sum of Strategic bombers, Coastal Anti-Ship missiles and some surface and submarine naval units within striking distance. If they were to attack how well would the Aegis system work? Im sure if you throw enough weapons at the group eventually they would run out of weapons for defense but what are your thoughts?
Post #: 1
RE: How well could a modern CSG defend off a attack fro... - 5/19/2019 7:42:34 PM   
LMychajluk

I'd like to think an attack on a CSG a few hundred miles from a potential enemy's mainland wouldn't come as a surprise.

(in reply to Mickeys91)
Post #: 2
RE: How well could a modern CSG defend off a attack fro... - 5/19/2019 7:48:42 PM   
Mickeys91

quote:

ORIGINAL: LMychajluk

I'd like to think an attack on a CSG a few hundred miles from a potential enemy's mainland wouldn't come as a surprise.

I didnt mean a surprise as in they don't know what is coming I meant more of a a unprepared situation with the group only having minutes to prepare. Im sure EW would spot enemy planes and missiles as soon as they are airborne and have a while before the weapons reach their location.

(in reply to LMychajluk)
Post #: 3
RE: How well could a modern CSG defend off a attack fro... - 5/20/2019 12:01:32 AM   
kevinkins

Here is a recent article that will interest you.

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/yes-china-could-sink-us-navy-aircraft-carrier-don%E2%80%99t-bet-it-41227

And another a few years back:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lorenthompson/2012/01/23/can-china-sink-a-u-s-aircraft-carrier/#4dc370e02a82

There are other articles like this over the years as well. I think the amount of resources needed to disable a CSG might leave China/Russia vulnerable elsewhere and if those resources fail in the attempt - it's duck and cover for them.

Kevin

“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
― Alfred Thayer Mahan

(in reply to Mickeys91)
Post #: 4
RE: How well could a modern CSG defend off a attack fro... - 5/20/2019 9:33:43 PM   
SeaQueen

If I was commanding an aircraft carrier, I wouldn't go any closer to anything than I had to in order to strike it. Given that, CDCMs probably aren't so much a threat because the striking range of an F/A-18 is ~500NM. If for some reason I had to move the carrier closer than that, the first thing on my list of stuff to find and kill would be CDCMs. Anything inside of that range which could attack the carrier is going to be attacked by carrier based aircraft, and possibly a submarine. Anything that can be engaged by a cruise missile efficiently can be engaged at ~500NM + the range of the cruise missile. It's also possible the Air Force might get involved with their aircraft.

The rest is tougher because it really depends on the order of battle. Every missile system can be saturated. In the case of Aegis, it takes A LOT to saturate it. In my mind, the question isn't whether they can defeat a raid, but rather how long can they keep defeating raids before they are out of defensive missiles? That depends on shot doctrine, the loadout of the ships, and the composition of the CSG. I'm not a big fan of the default loadouts for Aegis ships, so I almost always end up changing them.

< Message edited by SeaQueen -- 5/21/2019 4:29:38 PM >

(in reply to Mickeys91)
Post #: 5
RE: How well could a modern CSG defend off a attack fro... - 5/21/2019 9:36:48 AM   
sven6345789

The first article is interesting. Obviously, the result of such an attack would be an all out war. One that China would lose. My guess is that the USA has one or maybe even 2 Ohio class submarines on station near china. An attack on Japan would lead to war between Japan, The USA and maybe even South Korea and Vietnam on one side, and China on the other, maybe with North Korea. This Scenario will end in a thermonuclear war. Even if not, it will begin with the near total annihilation of the chinese fleet by tactical nuclear strikes. Even actually considering such an attack comes close to being insane. Look how a " we do a surprise attack and the puny democracies are weak and won't fight anyhow" stance worked out for Japan in WW2. In total annihilation. As it would end for China.
quote:

Here is a recent article that will interest you. https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/yes-china-could-sink-us-navy-aircraft-carrier-don%E2%80%99t-bet-it-41227

< Message edited by sven6345789 -- 5/21/2019 9:39:35 AM >

Bougainville, November 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9. It rained today.

Letter from a U.S. Marine,November 1943

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 6
RE: How well could a modern CSG defend off a attack fro... - 5/22/2019 12:55:55 PM   
kevinkins

More today on the topic:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lorenthompson/2019/05/21/ten-reasons-a-u-s-navy-aircraft-carrier-is-one-of-the-safest-places-to-be-in-a-war/#17a555e2f7ac

“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
― Alfred Thayer Mahan

(in reply to sven6345789)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> How well could a modern CSG defend off a attack from Russia or China? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI