Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Sequel to Das Boot

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Sequel to Das Boot Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sequel to Das Boot - 5/21/2019 8:22:35 AM   
oaltinyay

Well, different theater but I guess it counts....

https://www.metacritic.com/tv/das-boot-2019/season-1

Post #: 1
RE: Sequel to Das Boot - 5/21/2019 9:00:45 AM   
LeeChard

I sure hope they realize why the original was so good.

(in reply to oaltinyay)
Post #: 2
RE: Sequel to Das Boot - 5/21/2019 2:12:56 PM   
joey

Das Boot was one of best war movie ever. I really can't see that being topped, as the original was so damn good. I hope any movie that tries to top the original can somehow maintain the intensity and desperation of the original.

(in reply to LeeChard)
Post #: 3
RE: Sequel to Das Boot - 5/21/2019 4:26:04 PM   
AleRonin

Surely I will watch this serie even if I will doubt it will be good as the original movie.

(in reply to joey)
Post #: 4
RE: Sequel to Das Boot - 5/21/2019 4:29:49 PM   
Fishbed

It came out in Europe a few months ago already. Has nothing to do with Das Boot apart from the fact that it shares the name. Actually, it looks more like some sort of real-life gameplay of UBOAT instead (you know, when they send you on unbelievable missions or ask you if you want to kill the cook).

Apart from that good drama, but it is absolutely NOT Das Boot. It's half a u-boat-centered adventure story at sea, half a crime novel on land. As long as you understand that it is NOT trying to recreate the original work, then all is fine. You'll be able to enjoy the show much better.

(in reply to AleRonin)
Post #: 5
RE: Sequel to Das Boot - 5/21/2019 5:18:04 PM   
AleRonin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fishbed

It came out in Europe a few months ago already. Has nothing to do with Das Boot apart from the fact that it shares the name. Actually, it looks more like some sort of real-life gameplay of UBOAT instead (you know, when they send you on unbelievable missions or ask you if you want to kill the cook).

Apart from that good drama, but it is absolutely NOT Das Boot. It's half a u-boat-centered adventure story at sea, half a crime novel on land. As long as you understand that it is NOT trying to recreate the original work, then all is fine. You'll be able to enjoy the show much better.

Oh...this is disappointing

(in reply to Fishbed)
Post #: 6
RE: Sequel to Das Boot - 5/21/2019 5:53:23 PM   
oaltinyay

Crime Story ? Someone murders a person in a U-Boat ? like that?

(in reply to AleRonin)
Post #: 7
RE: Sequel to Das Boot - 5/21/2019 6:34:42 PM   
Fishbed

Nope. Or yes, the Uboat part develops into something dark indeed, even though completely uncanny and highly questionable. Still, good fun.

Actually the two protagonists are a brother and a sister from Alsace. One is the radioman aboard a Uboat (last minute replacement), the other one just got affected as a translator and typist to 3.U-Flottille HQ. They're being frowned upon fornot being completely German of birth. The guy at sea has to endure the growing rivalry between a new Kapitanleutnant and his XO, the girl on the shore gotta try to unf*ck some complicated issues her brother left behind, that will end up getting her involved in stories with the French underground, people with whom obviously a German soldier does not belong.

And GoT's Man with no name plays the Gestapo commander of La Rochelle, which makes it all worth watching at the end

< Message edited by Fishbed -- 5/21/2019 6:38:58 PM >

(in reply to oaltinyay)
Post #: 8
RE: Sequel to Das Boot - 5/21/2019 7:08:56 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: oaltinyay

warspite1

This is what I wrote about it earlier this year in the GD forum:

Well I got through all 8 episodes of the first series. A bit of a mixed bag really.

Firstly, this is nothing like the original version - which is good because it would be incredibly difficult to match that, let alone top it.

So probably the best way to approach it is to ignore the title and just look at it as a WWII yarn set in occupied France. I think there was probably a 50/50 split, give or take, between the u-boat action and the action on terra firma.

The u-boat sequences were done well enough, although the actual storyline probably won't please the purists. Annoyingly the storyline takes the route so many (especially latter day) war films take and have too much in-fighting between the crew. I find this formulaic and often totally uninteresting.

The action on land is okay - although the storyline is a little simple and one or two scenes appear fanciful. I get the feeling that the story telling could have been made much more tense than was the case - I felt the suspense was missing and we are talking about the Gestapo here and a good old fashioned cat and mouse scenario so should not have been difficult to do.

But taken on its own, without any comparisons with the original, was this worth watching? Yes I think so, and certainly worth a second series.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to oaltinyay)
Post #: 9
RE: Sequel to Das Boot - 5/21/2019 8:57:25 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: oaltinyay

warspite1

This is what I wrote about it earlier this year in the GD forum:

Well I got through all 8 episodes of the first series. A bit of a mixed bag really.

Firstly, this is nothing like the original version - which is good because it would be incredibly difficult to match that, let alone top it.

So probably the best way to approach it is to ignore the title and just look at it as a WWII yarn set in occupied France. I think there was probably a 50/50 split, give or take, between the u-boat action and the action on terra firma.

The u-boat sequences were done well enough, although the actual storyline probably won't please the purists. Annoyingly the storyline takes the route so many (especially latter day) war films take and have too much in-fighting between the crew. I find this formulaic and often totally uninteresting.

The action on land is okay - although the storyline is a little simple and one or two scenes appear fanciful. I get the feeling that the story telling could have been made much more tense than was the case - I felt the suspense was missing and we are talking about the Gestapo here and a good old fashioned cat and mouse scenario so should not have been difficult to do.

But taken on its own, without any comparisons with the original, was this worth watching? Yes I think so, and certainly worth a second series.

It does have Vicky Krieps and Lizzy Caplan.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 10
RE: Sequel to Das Boot - 5/22/2019 1:52:43 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

It does have Vicky Krieps and Lizzy Caplan.

Das Booty!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 11
RE: Sequel to Das Boot - 5/22/2019 6:11:53 PM   
RangerJoe

Das Booty would be only one. I think that would be Dos Booties!

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 12
RE: Sequel to Das Boot - 5/23/2019 9:23:08 AM   
Yaab

Booty and the Best?

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 13
RE: Sequel to Das Boot - 5/23/2019 3:14:16 PM   
Orm

Bootyguard?

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 14
RE: Sequel to Das Boot - 5/23/2019 3:16:45 PM   
RangerJoe

Another thing to point out. The ethnic Germans who were not in Germany and/or Austria in 1938 or so were not treated very well by the Nazis. They were always suspect. Some of them came from the Ukraine and Southern Russia where their ancestors were invited by Catherine the Great. They were then repatriated after the war back to the USSR where they did not fair that well either.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 15
RE: Sequel to Das Boot - 5/23/2019 7:02:12 PM   
geofflambert

Does it have LeBeau and Sgt. Kinchloe?

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 16
RE: Sequel to Das Boot - 5/24/2019 6:28:37 AM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

I watched just 30+ minutes when it come out few months ago... never bothered to check TV schedule for other episodes...

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to Fishbed)
Post #: 17
RE: Sequel to Das Boot - 5/24/2019 8:25:18 AM   
ian77

It just needs Ben Afflick to be a true international WWII success!

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 18
RE: Sequel to Das Boot - 6/21/2019 12:30:21 PM   
Yaab

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

Another thing to point out. The ethnic Germans who were not in Germany and/or Austria in 1938 or so were not treated very well by the Nazis. They were always suspect. Some of them came from the Ukraine and Southern Russia where their ancestors were invited by Catherine the Great. They were then repatriated after the war back to the USSR where they did not fair that well either.

AFAIK, the Ukrainians Germans behaved like ethnic Ukrainians. In the eyes of Nazi Germans, the Ukrainian Germans were slovenly, unreliable and liked to drink. A case of culture trumping ethnicity and race.

I guess this observation was noted in "Nazi Empire-Building and the Holocaust in Ukraine" by Wendy Lower.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 19
RE: Sequel to Das Boot - 6/22/2019 2:20:12 PM   
Ian R

quote:

ORIGINAL: Apollo11

I watched just 30+ minutes when it come out few months ago... never bothered to check TV schedule for other episodes...

Leo "Apollo11"

Thanks, I now know not to waste any time looking for it.

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 20
RE: Sequel to Das Boot - 6/22/2019 10:57:26 PM   
Timotheus

Season 2 will have Cthulu make an appearance.

NEWBIE GUIDE Distant Worlds Universe
http://tinyurl.com/k3frrle

War in the Pacific Poradnik po Polsku
http://tinyurl.com/nxd4cesh

INSTALL WITPAE on modern PC
https://tinyurl.com/l5kr6rl

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 21
RE: Sequel to Das Boot - 6/23/2019 9:48:27 AM   
Yaab

It is coming...
https://www.modiphius.com/achtung-cthulhu.html

(in reply to Timotheus)
Post #: 22
RE: Sequel to Das Boot - 6/23/2019 10:38:31 PM   
Rusty1961

I'm sure the inclusion of the disproportionately large female plot-line has nothing to do with this show being bad.

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 23
RE: Sequel to Das Boot - 6/24/2019 4:39:57 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rusty1961

I'm sure the inclusion of the disproportionately large female plot-line has nothing to do with this show being bad.

It doesn't. The show was never intended to be a naval drama along the lines of Das Boot. It is about the Resistance and other spies trying to get information about U-boats and their operations. I imagine code secrets and such. Female agents were quite effective during the war and, in the show, lend a little more drama to the "agent in danger" plot device.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Rusty1961)
Post #: 24
RE: Sequel to Das Boot - 6/24/2019 5:09:33 AM   
Fishbed

No need to feed the troll.

How this man can hate so much the opposite sex to the point of blaming it for pretty much every problem on Earth in the military and elsewhere eventually leads me to the conclusion that he blames women primarily and quite logically for his own mere existence too. Which seems, granted, quite a sin in itself already.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 25
RE: Sequel to Das Boot - 6/24/2019 5:40:09 AM   
warspite1

quote:

warspite1

Well its all a matter of opinion, but the show - while not a classic so far - is certainly not bad. If anyone wants to compare to the original so they can get all over-excited about how it doesn't compare to the original, then they can but its a pointless exercise as only the name remains.

But I agree about the number of women in the show spoiling it. I mean were there even women in olden times and certainly not as late as World War II? I think its just PC conspiracy theorist nonsense and we all know women didn't even exist until like the 50's or something. Get them off!! thats what I say.

Fnarr, Fnarr

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 6/24/2019 5:43:36 AM >

(in reply to Rusty1961)
Post #: 26
RE: Sequel to Das Boot - 6/24/2019 2:59:47 PM   
Rusty1961

quote:

How this man can hate so much the opposite sex to the point of blaming it for pretty much every problem on Earth in the military and elsewhere eventually leads me to the conclusion that he blames women primarily and quite logically for his own mere existence too. Which seems, granted, quite a sin in itself already.

It isn't "hate", it's reality. If they don't have women in war movies the "ticket sales" aren't there to justify making the movie. Simple economics.

A good war movie that had an important female lead was Tae Guk Gi. That one worked, but it usually spells disaster for movies. See Pearl Harbor for it's nauseating effect on the story.

(in reply to Fishbed)
Post #: 27
RE: Sequel to Das Boot - 6/24/2019 4:12:44 PM   
warspite1

quote:

If they don't have women in war movies the "ticket sales" aren't there to justify making the movie. Simple economics.

warspite1

What has that statement got to do with "I'm sure the inclusion of the disproportionately large female plot-line has nothing to do with this show being bad"?? You imply by that that one follows the other - which is something of a generalisation no? Kind of difficult not to have Alexandra Maria Lara in Downfall given the perspective of the film - she was hardly brought in to justify ticket sales - or, in your opinion, did woman ruin the film too?

quote:

See Pearl Harbor for it's nauseating effect on the story.

warspite1

The excruciating script, Rafe Macauley's storyline and Ben Affleck's acting did that very well all on their own. That film had a great many problems before blame can be laid at Miss Beckinsdale's door.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 6/24/2019 4:14:28 PM >

(in reply to Rusty1961)
Post #: 28
RE: Sequel to Das Boot - 6/24/2019 4:17:24 PM   
Fishbed

quote:

quote:

It isn't "hate", it's reality. If they don't have women in war movies the "ticket sales" aren't there to justify making the movie. Simple economics.

A good war movie that had an important female lead was Tae Guk Gi. That one worked, but it usually spells disaster for movies. See Pearl Harbor for it's nauseating effect on the story.

It's okay to prefer men, Rusty. After all, we're Navy men aren't we

(in reply to Rusty1961)
Post #: 29
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Sequel to Das Boot Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI