Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Unusual Op Report Messages

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Unusual Op Report Messages Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Unusual Op Report Messages - 9/25/2019 6:39:52 PM   
BBfanboy

Well here's a new one for me - I have had explosions during pierside loading but never during amphib unloading ...

Attachment (1)

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Post #: 1
RE: Unusual Op Report Messages - 9/25/2019 7:06:53 PM   
HansBolter

Just shows to go ya why xAKL's are poor choices for amphib TFs!

Hans

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 2
RE: Unusual Op Report Messages - 9/26/2019 3:03:51 AM   
sstevens06

This insane level of detail makes WitP-AE the best game ever!

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 3
RE: Unusual Op Report Messages - 9/26/2019 3:47:51 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

There is no opposition present - the Allies already own the atoll. It was short of supply and Satawal is still a dot hex (only an Aussie Company that took the dot there) so I sent the xAKL amphib loaded to deliver supply. No reason an xAKL should explode more often than an xAK in those circumstances, is there?

I wanted to have supply ashore before an Aussie M/W squadron (engineers) arrives.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 4
RE: Unusual Op Report Messages - 9/26/2019 4:41:08 AM   
jdsrae

What was the damage?
Could have just been the beer bottles getting shaken up too much and a few of them exploded?

Currently playing my first PBEM, no house rules Scenario 1 as IJ.
AAR link (no SolInvictus): https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4684655

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 5
RE: Unusual Op Report Messages - 9/26/2019 8:26:32 AM   
Ian R

Probably sunk.I have at least one AKA sunk by "accident" (as opposed to collision) in my current game.

I've noticed with the beta there seem to be a lot more collisions, groundings, abandonment of PCs that founder in heavy seas.... I also got an 'obliterated' result on a not so small IJN vessel that got hit in port by, I think possibly, a 12000 lb bomb from a Lancaster SP. Or maybe just a 4000lbr.

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to jdsrae)
Post #: 6
RE: Unusual Op Report Messages - 9/26/2019 2:14:40 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: jdsrae

What was the damage?
Could have just been the beer bottles getting shaken up too much and a few of them exploded?

Yes, it sank. A subsequent message in the Ops Report said damage control efforts failed and the crew prepared to abandon ship. There was an in-game pop-up message saying the xAKL sank.

(in reply to jdsrae)
Post #: 7
RE: Unusual Op Report Messages - 9/27/2019 3:21:25 PM   
Ian R

quote:

AK Bluefield Victory hits underwater rocks while attempting to unload at Takao

82 Float damage. But only 76 serious.

Not too bad.

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 8
RE: Unusual Op Report Messages - 9/27/2019 8:14:25 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian R

quote:

AK Bluefield Victory hits underwater rocks while attempting to unload at Takao

82 Float damage. But only 76 serious.

Not too bad.

I've seen that one often enough. I currently have an APD that hit rocks sitting in a small port with 86 major float damage. I repaired all the system damage and there is something like 9 major engineering damage remaining. I won't risk moving it until I capture the enemy shipyard a few hexes away. Right now I am bombing the ground units there to disrupt them before my landings - I don't dare bomb the port for fear of also damaging the shipyard I need.
An APD isn't worth much in points but I like the little challenges within the game so I am minimizing the risk to save the ship.

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 9
RE: Unusual Op Report Messages - 9/27/2019 8:19:25 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

There is no opposition present - the Allies already own the atoll. It was short of supply and Satawal is still a dot hex (only an Aussie Company that took the dot there) so I sent the xAKL amphib loaded to deliver supply. No reason an xAKL should explode more often than an xAK in those circumstances, is there?

I wanted to have supply ashore before an Aussie M/W squadron (engineers) arrives.

I use xAKLs for this very same purpose all the time.

I typically don't use anything but an amphib TF to deliver supply to level 1 or level 0 (aka dot) port hexes and xAKLs are the unit of choice for this mission until late war when I have more LSTs than I know what to do with.

Hans

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 10
RE: Unusual Op Report Messages - 9/27/2019 9:14:36 PM   
LargeSlowTarget

quote:

There you go. A large part of the cargo must have been Bundaberg rum and someone failed to observe that the smoking lamp was out...

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 11
RE: Unusual Op Report Messages - 9/28/2019 3:05:13 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget

quote:

There you go. A large part of the cargo must have been Bundaberg rum and someone failed to observe that the smoking lamp was out...

I must find me some of that rum for ... experimentation. Yeah, that's it - I'll be using it for scientific experiments to the benefit of our knowledge of the game.
If you don't hear from me again, refer to news of explosions in apartment buildings ... or partially dissolved human remains.

(in reply to LargeSlowTarget)
Post #: 12
RE: Unusual Op Report Messages - 9/28/2019 3:50:06 AM   
Alfred

You really don't want to do that.  Other than a few , very limited special batches created for prestige purposes, Bundaberg rum is awful.  Closer to industrial strength ethanol than to any recognisable English, Spanish or agricole rum style.

Alfred

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 13
Beware the Bundy Bear - 9/30/2019 1:01:45 AM   
jdsrae

The Bundy Bear might look funny in the ads but i also warn against going out for a night drinking with him.

He has a habit of waiting until his victims lose the ability to speak England then stealing all the money from their wallet, punching them in the back of the head a few times, emptying an ash tray in their mouth and leaving them passed out in a shrubbery in their front garden...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0hkVeemHhtc

Currently playing my first PBEM, no house rules Scenario 1 as IJ.
AAR link (no SolInvictus): https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4684655

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 14
RE: Beware the Bundy Bear - 9/30/2019 3:11:29 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

The Bundy Bear might look funny in the ads but i also warn against going out for a night drinking with him.

He has a habit of waiting until his victims lose the ability to speak England then stealing all the money from their wallet, punching them in the back of the head a few times, emptying an ash tray in their mouth and leaving them passed out in a shrubbery in their front garden...

Well if the Bundy bear helps introduce you to young women like that, he can have what little is in my wallet!

(in reply to jdsrae)
Post #: 15
RE: Beware the Bundy Bear - 9/30/2019 4:32:06 PM   
rustysi

quote:

Now that's what I call a 'wing man'.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to jdsrae)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Unusual Op Report Messages Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI