Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Random Thought on Random Technology

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Random Thought on Random Technology Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Random Thought on Random Technology - 7/14/2019 6:34:29 PM   
fireston

I have played about 20 different PBEM games and I frankly love this game. Reminds me so much of Axis and Allies growing up but only way better, however one area where I'm not the biggest fan is the tech tree lengths and the random breakthroughs.

I think Level 1 and 2 lengths should be increased, specifically in tank research, ground attack weapons research and heavy bombers. 0-1 should increase an additional 50% for each level. So instead of going to 100% you would go to 150% I'm not a fan of seeing German tanks at level 3 in 1941. They are overpowered and historically inaccurate. If level 3 is designed simulate the Mark 3 or 4, then Russia needs a corresponding research buff. In fact it would make sense to me to only allow level 3 for all sides starting at the end of 1942, which is when we started to see at least for Germany our panther and tiger tanks.

Second, I think the research breakthrough needs to be lowered or removed completely. Its great when you get it, especially in certain research areas however too many of them and it can create balance issues. Such as Russia at the end of 1943 at 50% to level 4 tanks, while Germany is sitting at level 4 since the start of 1943.(yes two research units have been invested since Jan 1940.)

If the breakthrough research was removed, I would suggest that each level of research invest results in 3% gain per turn, which will increase with each level of spy/intel developed for a total of 6% per turn increasing to 12% per turn with full Spy/intell developed with the following that each each Spy/Intel developed reduces your opponents research by 1% with a cap or no lower than 3% for each research invested. This would allow the allies to have a technology advantage for the end game if they wanted to go that route while still allowing the Axis player different options to research while at the same time, preventing random technology to defeat superior strategy. *I am aware spy/intell currently provides the 1% bonus and 1% decrease) :)

P.S. Love this game :)

< Message edited by fireston -- 7/14/2019 6:49:45 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Random Thought on Random Technology - 7/14/2019 7:55:40 PM   
HamburgerMeat

I'm not sure I agree with removing breakthroughs altogether. The game has so many "rolls" throughout that in the end, it tends to balance itself out. If the breakthrough system was removed, then I feel the game would be more stale. The fun of this game lies in part with the alternate historical scenarios.

The core of the game is that: Axis have tech advantage and, in the beginning, superior numbers. Allies have landmass, more MPP, naval superiority, and, without soft caps, capable of hosting a much larger airforce. If you were to nerf research in the way you described, the Axis would take a big hit to one of their key strengths.

That being said, I am not saying the game is balanced. I'm just worried this is going about it the wrong way.

I'm not sure which side is more powerful, but I know for certain that playing allies is harder than axis.

(in reply to fireston)
Post #: 2
RE: Random Thought on Random Technology - 7/14/2019 8:11:14 PM   
taffjones

Hi Fireston

There is a interesting discussion in the WiE forum started by Taxman66, where Bill/and Hubert have made changes to research along the lines of what you are suggesting.

It is worth a read as it appears that it hasn't helped and Russia is worse off for the lowered research.

If I was more computer savvy I would have posted a link to it.

(in reply to fireston)
Post #: 3
RE: Random Thought on Random Technology - 7/14/2019 8:35:45 PM   
fireston

Thanks for pointing that thread out taffjones. Definitely an interest read and it looks like it solved one problem but didn't address others.

I have not played WiE, the other suggestions I would do in combination with the lower research, is having the Soviets start with Anti Tank level 1, and lower it to 100 per investment. Lowering their Armored Warfare from 175 to 125 and giving them 2 additional free Armies that comes online in December of 1941. This would allow the Soviet player a better opportunity coupled with the new supply system to have a better chance of not getting killed murder by 1942:) I think I'm a pretty decent Russian player and there is just some situations i'm just waiting on the tech tree to allow me to do operations.

(in reply to taffjones)
Post #: 4
RE: Random Thought on Random Technology - 7/14/2019 8:41:36 PM   
fireston

quote:

ORIGINAL: HamburgerMeat

I'm not sure I agree with removing breakthroughs altogether. The game has so many "rolls" throughout that in the end, it tends to balance itself out. If the breakthrough system was removed, then I feel the game would be more stale. The fun of this game lies in part with the alternate historical scenarios.

The core of the game is that: Axis have tech advantage and, in the beginning, superior numbers. Allies have landmass, more MPP, naval superiority, and, without soft caps, capable of hosting a much larger airforce. If you were to nerf research in the way you described, the Axis would take a big hit to one of their key strengths.

That being said, I am not saying the game is balanced. I'm just worried this is going about it the wrong way.

I'm not sure which side is more powerful, but I know for certain that playing allies is harder than axis.

The question is "when" it balances out. If it heavily favors the Axis in the beginning and towards the end the Allies, it creates a horrible situation for the Allied player and as you said it is harder to play the Allies, than the Axis and it should be the Allies that have the greater margin of error than the Axis.

< Message edited by fireston -- 7/14/2019 8:44:04 PM >

(in reply to HamburgerMeat)
Post #: 5
RE: Random Thought on Random Technology - 7/14/2019 9:04:37 PM   
sveint

One thing I think everyone can agree on is that Russian tank research is behind historical in literally every game

(in reply to fireston)
Post #: 6
RE: Random Thought on Random Technology - 7/14/2019 9:58:43 PM   
Taxman66

One major, major difference between the two games is that WiE only allows 1 chit to be invested in Inf Wep, Adv Tanks, Adv Air, AT, and Ground Attack.

"Part of the $10 million I spent on gambling, part on booze and part on women. The rest I spent foolishly." - George Raft

(in reply to sveint)
Post #: 7
RE: Random Thought on Random Technology - 7/14/2019 11:33:28 PM   
fireston

I would be curious to know the results if you could invest 2 chits.

(in reply to Taxman66)
Post #: 8
RE: Random Thought on Random Technology - 7/14/2019 11:35:42 PM   
fireston

quote:

ORIGINAL: sveint

One thing I think everyone can agree on is that Russian tank research is behind historical in literally every game

Can't disagree or say you are wrong. :) Have you had any experience with Poland falling on turn 1?

(in reply to sveint)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Random Thought on Random Technology Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI