Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

New Midway Movie Trailer

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> New Midway Movie Trailer Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New Midway Movie Trailer - 6/27/2019 4:56:06 PM   
Rusty1961

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7HnS-tpWMo&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR1zZvja6Kg7BbJOvo55xtqzVAV1JleEpE_4dqLPpIH3TWXmcttmC9Q2Hl8

Told you so. Hollywood is incapable of making a war movie any more. I'm sure you people will see the parallels to another movie.
Post #: 1
RE: New Midway Movie Trailer - 6/27/2019 4:56:47 PM   
Rusty1961

Check out Tae Guk Gi to see a war movie done properly.

(in reply to Rusty1961)
Post #: 2
RE: New Midway Movie Trailer - 6/27/2019 5:10:54 PM   
mind_messing

It's a Roland Emmerich film. It's going to be massively over-the-top and just a little bit silly.

That said, I'm excited for it. It's not Tora, Tora, Tora!, but understanding that it's not trying to be is important :)

(in reply to Rusty1961)
Post #: 3
RE: New Midway Movie Trailer - 6/27/2019 5:29:24 PM   
Canoerebel

It looks awful. The only way I'll see it is if this Forum, which is populated by men who's judgment counts (except for the 1% who are trolls), overwhelmingly endorse it. Based on what I've seen thus far, I can't imagine that'll be the case.

From this trailer it looks like 2 million Japanese fighters are coming to strafe Midway, perfectly space in some kind of The War of the Worlds formation, and that planes are flying in formation at 600 miles an hour while attacking ships. From an earlier trailer, I recall a PBY that was making about 450 miles an hour.

Hollywood has gotten stuff right in the past. There is enormous talent there. But mostly it's horrible.

Nolan really tried with Dunkirk. It was artfully made, beautiful, and endeavored to be accurate. For me, the fatal flaw was the confusing timeline that made it so difficult to follow. But it was a worthwhile effort.

This movie? Arg, I think.

(in reply to mind_messing)
Post #: 4
RE: New Midway Movie Trailer - 6/27/2019 5:49:02 PM   
btd64

I would see it for the FX. Not for the historical point of view. Yes it looks awful in terms of being over the top....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 5
RE: New Midway Movie Trailer - 6/27/2019 5:55:07 PM   
Anachro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rusty1961

Check out Tae Guk Gi to see a war movie done properly.

A fun movie, but very sappy, sensationalist, and completely unrealistic. Melodramatic to the extreme, which is par for the course for a lot of Asian movies. I wouldn't consider it a good war movie, but it is a fun movie.

(in reply to Rusty1961)
Post #: 6
RE: New Midway Movie Trailer - 6/27/2019 5:59:33 PM   
Anachro

Holy moly, I started off watching this trailer. Heh, looks a bit unrealistic, CGI is kind of sub-par, wow those are some dramatic over-the-top PH scenes, but then it showed the unbelievable swarm of planes approaching Midway island. What a joke. I'll still watch it though, but it will probably be bad. That said, CGI is CGI, the story, if done well, can make up or the over-the-top aspects.

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 7
RE: New Midway Movie Trailer - 6/27/2019 6:10:54 PM   
Canoerebel

What happened with CGI? It got better and better, back in the late 1900s (that sounds weird) and early 2000s, but since then seems to have regressed. Explosions are nearly always unbelievable and silly. Aircraft flight is poorly modeled (perhaps intentionally for dramatic effect). Overall, CGI makes movies look like pretty poor video games.

As a for instance, the Lord of the Rings trilogy of the early 2000s used a lot of CGI that looked pretty darned spectacular.

Mad Max (of about four years ago) eschewed CGI and used the real things - cars in spectacular crashes, explosions, etc. - and it made a huge difference in the quality of the flick.

P.S. I apologize for immediately hijacking this thread. I'll cease and desist.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 6/27/2019 6:11:19 PM >

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 8
RE: New Midway Movie Trailer - 6/27/2019 6:17:08 PM   
Uncivil Engineer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anachro

Holy moly, I started off watching this trailer. Heh, looks a bit unrealistic, CGI is kind of sub-par, wow those are some dramatic over-the-top PH scenes, but then it showed the unbelievable swarm of planes approaching Midway island. What a joke. I'll still watch it though, but it will probably be bad. That said, CGI is CGI, the story, if done well, can make up or the over-the-top aspects.

Story? You expect a story? It'll be a bunch of sap.

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 9
RE: New Midway Movie Trailer - 6/27/2019 6:19:05 PM   
MakeeLearn

Lurid.

(in reply to Uncivil Engineer)
Post #: 10
RE: New Midway Movie Trailer - 6/27/2019 6:29:03 PM   
mind_messing

As an interesting side-thought, if this forum (as a collective) was to direct a war film about the Pacific theatre, it would bomb (no pun intended) at the box office.

I'm envisioning it as a "12 Angry Men" rip-off, except rather than argue for guilt or innocence in a courtroom trial, it's JFB's and AFB's deciding if the Yamato or Iowa would win in a fight.

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 11
RE: New Midway Movie Trailer - 6/27/2019 6:31:11 PM   
Anachro

Well there is no argument there. Iowa would win the fight, on average of course.

Post #: 12
RE: New Midway Movie Trailer - 6/27/2019 6:50:30 PM   
Canoerebel

Wouldn't the argument be whether the Bismarck was sunk or scuttled?

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 13
RE: New Midway Movie Trailer - 6/27/2019 8:30:15 PM   
Yaab

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

What happened with CGI? It got better and better, back in the late 1900s (that sounds weird) and early 2000s, but since then seems to have regressed. Explosions are nearly always unbelievable and silly. Aircraft flight is poorly modeled (perhaps intentionally for dramatic effect). Overall, CGI makes movies look like pretty poor video games.

As a for instance, the Lord of the Rings trilogy of the early 2000s used a lot of CGI that looked pretty darned spectacular.

Mad Max (of about four years ago) eschewed CGI and used the real things - cars in spectacular crashes, explosions, etc. - and it made a huge difference in the quality of the flick.

P.S. I apologize for immediately hijacking this thread. I'll cease and desist.

- The are taking the hobbits to Umurbrogol!

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 14
RE: New Midway Movie Trailer - 6/27/2019 8:36:19 PM   
Yaab

quote:

ORIGINAL: mind_messing

As an interesting side-thought, if this forum (as a collective) was to direct a war film about the Pacific theatre, it would bomb (no pun intended) at the box office.

I'm envisioning it as a "12 Angry Men" rip-off, except rather than argue for guilt or innocence in a courtroom trial, it's JFB's and AFB's deciding if the Yamato or Iowa would win in a fight.

It would be a total rip-off of other films.

- I love the smell of avgas in the afternoon on Zuikaku!

Post #: 15
RE: New Midway Movie Trailer - 6/27/2019 9:11:34 PM   
rustysi

From the looks of the trailer I think I shall pass.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 16
RE: New Midway Movie Trailer - 6/27/2019 9:13:28 PM   
rustysi

quote:

No doubt. Who wants to watch an excruciatingly long film with all that history.

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 17
RE: New Midway Movie Trailer - 6/27/2019 9:23:46 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi

quote:

The opening act is four hours long and follows the main Japanese character through his birth, childhood, entrance into the navy, his pilot training.

Act two is also four hours and covers is service in China...

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 18
RE: New Midway Movie Trailer - 6/27/2019 9:30:35 PM   
Yaab

Rumour has it, Ben Affleck will land his B-26 Marauder "Susie-Q Bimbo Akimbo" on Akagi, storm the ship's island with his crew, retrieve the latest PURPLE codebook and fly way.

< Message edited by Yaab -- 6/27/2019 9:31:41 PM >

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 19
RE: New Midway Movie Trailer - 6/27/2019 9:52:23 PM   
Canoerebel

Apparently there are two awful-CGI movies coming about Midway.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 6/27/2019 9:59:43 PM >

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 20
RE: New Midway Movie Trailer - 6/27/2019 10:00:42 PM   
Yaab

War is hell, CGI is awful.

"I have seen posts you people wouldn't believe..."

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 21
RE: New Midway Movie Trailer - 6/27/2019 10:00:59 PM   
rustysi

quote:

ORIGINAL: mind_messing

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi

quote:

The opening act is four hours long and follows the main Japanese character through his birth, childhood, entrance into the navy, his pilot training.

Act two is also four hours and covers is service in China...

Yuck, even I don't want to see it.

Post #: 22
RE: New Midway Movie Trailer - 6/27/2019 10:15:04 PM   
rustysi

quote:

CGI is awful.

But this is just about the only way to have accurate device models in these movies any longer. If only they took the time to get the characteristics correct I think it could be very well done. I bought a series about the USS Enterprise that was done recently with lots of CGI, Enterprise 360 IIRC. It was not very well done (the CGI), but the price was the attraction.

Heck, back in the day many of these movies were made with models. Not all were good, but some were very acceptable. It all depends on the production I guess, and whose in charge. Not to mention the budget of course.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 23
RE: New Midway Movie Trailer - 6/27/2019 10:37:26 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anachro

Well there is no argument there. Iowa would win the fight, on average of course.

About what I'd expect an AFB to say! [pounds courtroom desk in an animated fashion]

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 24
RE: New Midway Movie Trailer - 6/27/2019 10:39:36 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yaab

Rumour has it, Ben Affleck will land his B-26 Marauder "Susie-Q Bimbo Akimbo" on Akagi, storm the ship's island with his crew, retrieve the latest PURPLE codebook and fly way.

Nah. We'd be screaming at the screen the whole time about lack of arrest wires on B-26s and pan the movie just based on that alone.

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 25
RE: New Midway Movie Trailer - 6/27/2019 10:40:59 PM   
Chickenboy

I'm holding out hopes for "Greyhound", which stars as Tom Hanks as the Captain of a US Destroyer in the early days of WWII. It was scheduled to be released a couple months ago, but has been pushed back to March 2020.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 26
RE: New Midway Movie Trailer - 6/27/2019 10:46:44 PM   
geofflambert

You could build two Iowas for the price of one Yamato. Iowa wins, not on average but every time.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 27
RE: New Midway Movie Trailer - 6/27/2019 10:55:45 PM   
geofflambert

It reminds me of something I read recently, a German fighter pilot commenting on P-51s and P-47s. He said something like "their guns weren't as good as mine". If I'd been there I would have responded "Hans, your guns were for shooting down American bombers. American fighter's guns were for shooting you down." Six or eight 50 cals could turn an Me-109 into confetti in a second.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 28
RE: New Midway Movie Trailer - 6/27/2019 11:14:08 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

It reminds me of something I read recently, a German fighter pilot commenting on P-51s and P-47s. He said something like "their guns weren't as good as mine". If I'd been there I would have responded "Hans, your guns were for shooting down American bombers. American fighter's guns were for shooting you down." Six or eight 50 cals could turn an Me-109 into confetti in a second.

I would like to see a study of the effectiveness of .50 cal vs 20mm cannon on fighter planes. Fighters did have limited armo(u)r to protect the pilot, and sometimes a few .50 caliber didn't get the job done...

(spelling of armor is for our commonwealth friends)

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 29
RE: New Midway Movie Trailer - 6/27/2019 11:24:18 PM   
Timotheus

"From the director of 'Independence Day'"

edit: I agree that the BEST war movies these days are south korean. american movies, of any type, are mostly trash.

< Message edited by Timotheus -- 6/27/2019 11:26:07 PM >

NEWBIE GUIDE Distant Worlds Universe
http://tinyurl.com/k3frrle

War in the Pacific Poradnik po Polsku
http://tinyurl.com/nxd4cesh

INSTALL WITPAE on modern PC
https://tinyurl.com/l5kr6rl

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> New Midway Movie Trailer Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI