Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Question on database info

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Question on database info Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Question on database info - 8/2/2019 11:28:59 PM   
bladesinger79

Back in the days (waaaaaaaaaay back) when Harpoon was the modern naval combat game of choice, most of their platform information came with a picture and a diagram of the weapons/mounts/sensors/misc positions along with firing archs for ships. My question is: how come CMANO does not do this? Just wondering, as I ran into a problem of how to position ships for firing, intercepting incoming missiles, etc. Also known as: optimizing firepower.

"No Sir, I don't think that's a good idea at all." -last words from unnamed NCO before falling into an enemy ambush.
Post #: 1
RE: Question on database info - 8/2/2019 11:50:41 PM   
Primarchx

You can see weapon arcs by going to the Weapon panel and hitting the Show Arcs box for the mount in question to see the arcs show up around the ship icon on the map. As for pics of the platforms, they're out there and pretty easy to embed if you want them.

(in reply to bladesinger79)
Post #: 2
RE: Question on database info - 8/3/2019 1:00:23 PM   
CV60

quote:

Back in the days (waaaaaaaaaay back) when Harpoon was the modern naval combat game of choice, most of their platform information came with a picture and a diagram of the weapons/mounts/sensors/misc positions along with firing archs for ships. My question is: how come CMANO does not do this? Just wondering, as I ran into a problem of how to position ships for firing, intercepting incoming missiles, etc. Also known as: optimizing firepower.

Attached is a screenshot of how to do it. 1) Click on the unit on the map; 2) Hit the "F8" key. You should get an display like the one below. Click on the weapon you are interested in, and a grey'd arc will appear showing the weapons arc. Below is an image of the ASROC launcher on a DDG-37 class ship. If you are intersted in getting images of the actual ships/weapon systems, such as that appears on the screenshot below, you can go to the Warfare sims webpage and download them there.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 3
RE: Question on database info - 8/15/2019 12:25:17 AM   
bladesinger79

AHAAAAA!

"No Sir, I don't think that's a good idea at all." -last words from unnamed NCO before falling into an enemy ambush.

(in reply to CV60)
Post #: 4
RE: Question on database info - 8/15/2019 12:54:17 AM   
MikeJ19

Glad I checked out this thread - very interesting and helpful. As an army guy all this navy stuff is really new and there are many times that I'm not sure what I am doing. Reading these threads helps a lot!!!

Thanks,

Mike

Retired Gunner

Post #: 5
@MikeJ19 - 8/15/2019 8:19:53 PM   
bladesinger79

Infantry man here. I understood Harpoon quite easily, but CMANO has been a challenge.

If you are a treadhead like me, take a look into Steel Beasts Pro PE. It was a tank simulator called simply Steel Beasts back around 2000. A bunch of men used it as a training simulator for the military, then created a Personal Edition and commercialized it starting around 2004 or so. Like CMANO, it's as close to real life modern military combat without being in the military. The folks that play this like myself are usually former military, so it's a small niche.

GO ARMY! BEAT NAVY!!!

(in reply to MikeJ19)
Post #: 6
RE: @MikeJ19 - 8/15/2019 9:26:01 PM   
CV60

quote:

Infantry man here. I understood Harpoon quite easily, but CMANO has been a challenge.

Just out of curiosity, is it the CMANO UI that is difficult, or is it the actual topic (naval subsurface/surface/air/EW warfare and/or how they interplay) that is the challenge? I'm wondering if it is something that possibly needs to be covered or better explained in a training scenario?

Post #: 7
RE: Question on database info - 8/15/2019 9:32:19 PM   
CV60

quote:

Glad I checked out this thread - very interesting and helpful. As an army guy all this navy stuff is really new and there are many times that I'm not sure what I am doing. Reading these threads helps a lot!!!

There are a bunch of really helpful folks on theses webpages, so if you have questions, just ask. If you have the question, probably a lot of others are asking the same question.

(in reply to MikeJ19)
Post #: 8
RE: @MikeJ19 - 8/16/2019 1:30:11 PM   
bladesinger79

I think the instructions on gameplay are lacking. In the old days, a PC game had a manual that was over 200 pages long. It required a lot of reading time, but you knew everything one needed to know about the game. Not the case in these modern times.

Once you "get it", the going is good.

(in reply to CV60)
Post #: 9
RE: @MikeJ19 - 8/16/2019 2:01:11 PM   
CV60

quote:

I think the instructions on gameplay are lacking. In the old days, a PC game had a manual that was over 200 pages long. It required a lot of reading time, but you knew everything one needed to know about the game. Not the case in these modern times.

Once you "get it", the going is good.

That's a fair comment. Unfortunately, the manual was written in approximately 2013, using (mainly) the initial release version of the game. The game has been updated so much since then that the manual has fallen behind. There are some sites that have some good instructional materials. For example

https://wiki.baloogancampaign.com/index.php/Main_Page

may be of use.

Post #: 10
RE: @MikeJ19 - 8/16/2019 2:05:11 PM   
MikeJ19

I agree with bladesinger79 a bit, the gameplay instructions could be better. For me, it is more that the tactics, techniques and procedures are so different. The learning curve with respect to weapon capabilities is very high, and they change with each era you play.

The folks on the forum are great and I have learned a ton from their suggestions and input.

Mike

Retired Gunner

Post #: 11
RE: @MikeJ19 - 8/16/2019 4:07:51 PM   
CV60

quote:

I agree with bladesinger79 a bit, the gameplay instructions could be better. For me, it is more that the tactics, techniques and procedures are so different. The learning curve with respect to weapon capabilities is very high, and they change with each era you play.

The folks on the forum are great and I have learned a ton from their suggestions and input.

IMHO, that the TTP are so difficult is a testament to the game designers and datebase experts. You are experiencing the same conceptual problems that naval and air commanders have had to struggle with since the 1960's. The revolution in military affairs that occurred since the early 1960's has dramatically changed warfare. Consider the difficulties the USAF/USN had in coping with the North Vietnamese AD/SAM network, the way that SSMs revolutionized naval surface warfare after the sinking of the INS Eilat in 1967, and how smart munitions, stealth, cyber, communications and EW have dramatically changed strike warfare since 1970. Integrating and/or countering these rapidly changing technologies and capabilities into a military operation remains a struggle in the real world. In a way, your struggles mirror those of planners and operators world-wide.

(in reply to MikeJ19)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Question on database info Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI