Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Phantom Seaplanes

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Phantom Seaplanes Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Phantom Seaplanes - 8/21/2019 11:58:06 PM   
engineer

I'm playing Guadalcanal as Allied vs AI at historical difficulty as an extended tutorial and have a tactical question.

The IJN is using Shortlands as a seaplane base for recon and naval search. I've reconned the base and confirmed planes there with the AF level at 0 and port was 1 or 2.

My anti-airfield missions don't fly (as expected) since there is no airfield.

I've run multiple port attack missions with medium bombers out of Guadalcanal and carriers at altitude. I've also strafed the port with fighters and bombers coming in on the deck at 100 feet.

The port has also received bombardment from cruiser/destroyer forces. So far, none of the Japanese seaplanes have been destroyed at their moorings.

Is this a minor glitch, genius Japanese camouflage, or lack of enough firepower?
Post #: 1
RE: Phantom Seaplanes - 8/22/2019 12:33:53 AM   
RangerJoe

Shhhh . . .

it happens, sometimes the computer cheats. Save the game, switch sides and see what is there. The computer really won't mind.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to engineer)
Post #: 2
RE: Phantom Seaplanes - 8/22/2019 12:40:43 AM   
engineer

Already did that. The computer didn't cheat on this (although it did carry torpedoes on Betty's at extended range to sink a couple of oilers off Australia)

Is operating seaplanes from a 0 airfield port an exploit?

< Message edited by engineer -- 8/22/2019 12:42:34 AM >

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 3
RE: Phantom Seaplanes - 8/22/2019 12:47:48 AM   
RangerJoe

No, sea planes operate from a port. That is why the A6M2 Rufe is good to spread around to kill Catalinas.

― Julia Child

(in reply to engineer)
Post #: 4
RE: Phantom Seaplanes - 8/22/2019 4:08:06 PM   
BBfanboy

There could be an AV or AVD/AVP at the port to provide supplies and service to the seaplanes. Try bombing the port again and see if there is anything there.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 5
RE: Phantom Seaplanes - 8/22/2019 10:11:45 PM   
engineer

When I hot-seated as the Japanese, there was no AVD there, but there was a base force with aviation support. Those troops do take casualties from air and surface bombardment attacks.

The exploit isn't so much the seaplane basing itself as much as it would seem that every rock with a 0 AF in the Pacific has a water filled subterranean grotto with a channel to the sea like Captain Nemo's secret lair that confers invulnerability to air attack and shore bombardment. The seaplanes moored in the lair just taxi in and out to conduct their operations.

This is a minor issue inside the whole game, but a nagging itch for someone who is looking for minimal abstraction and maximum verisimilitude.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 6
RE: Phantom Seaplanes - 8/22/2019 10:45:03 PM   
rustysi

Yeah, seaplanes flying out of level 0 airbases can be a bit annoying, but it is what it is, as far as the game goes. Its not really going to hurt that much. I'd also like to add that its pretty tough to get at seaplanes even in larger bases.

Try to remember it goes both ways, you may do it too.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to engineer)
Post #: 7
RE: Phantom Seaplanes - 8/24/2019 5:20:38 PM   
inqistor

Heh, I never tried to sent planes against 0 lvl airfields, but I'm sure I got Catalinas during Naval Bombardment.

Have you tried setting Airfield Attack at Commander Discretion? That would probably won't work, but setting LRCAP should catch those planes, or at least force them to get extra attrition during landing.

(in reply to engineer)
Post #: 8
RE: Phantom Seaplanes - 8/24/2019 9:50:34 PM   
GetAssista

Heh, wait until you encounter phantom industry - LI/HI/Res in the dot base is completely immune to anything you can throw at it. Made some of my AI sieges unnecessarily annoying

< Message edited by GetAssista -- 8/24/2019 9:52:44 PM >

(in reply to inqistor)
Post #: 9
RE: Phantom Seaplanes - 8/25/2019 1:19:17 AM   
engineer

My shore bombardments were just one CA with about 5 DDs enabled to bombard. So more fire power is clearly one escalation.

My port aerial bombardments got serious. I cheated Lunga big and flew some 80 plane B-17 missions out of there at the Shortlands and still didn't hit any seaplanes but I was coming in on the deck at 100 feet.

LRCAP is an interesting idea. The local CAP has been harvesting seaplanes and occasional Rufes. Lunga to Shortlands is about what, 9 hexes, so the only practical fighters to use would be a P-38G or maybe a Beaufighter. I've used neither of those in the Solomons so far, just up in New Guinea.

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 10
RE: Phantom Seaplanes - 8/25/2019 1:36:31 AM   
RangerJoe

Use the Beaufighter more as a fighter bomber in the anti-shipping role, there it excelled.

― Julia Child

(in reply to engineer)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Phantom Seaplanes Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI