Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Patrol ASW Loadout?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Patrol ASW Loadout? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Patrol ASW Loadout? - 11/14/2019 10:45:22 PM   
engineer

Patrol planes generally have bomb load outs but sometimes carry torpedoes. When they fly ASW missions to they still carry bombs or load up with depth charges? The USN reference material generally specs depth charge load-outs for ASW missions.
Post #: 1
RE: Patrol ASW Loadout? - 11/14/2019 10:51:53 PM   
geofflambert

AW1Steve addressed this recently. Aerial depth charges are just bombs with a different (time delay) fuse. In most 2 engine bombers the fuses could be changed in flight.

(in reply to engineer)
Post #: 2
RE: Patrol ASW Loadout? - 11/14/2019 11:18:51 PM   
Kull

quote:

ORIGINAL: engineer

Patrol planes generally have bomb load outs but sometimes carry torpedoes. When they fly ASW missions to they still carry bombs or load up with depth charges? The USN reference material generally specs depth charge load-outs for ASW missions.

Somebody (probably Alfred) noted that even when a plane is carrying torpedoes, it uses bombs for ASW. Which would be the case if the unit is set for Naval Strike as the primary but also has some percentage of the airframes tasked with ASW.

(in reply to engineer)
Post #: 3
RE: Patrol ASW Loadout? - 11/15/2019 10:23:09 AM   
Alpha77

Patrol planes use a reduced loadout - I guess the one you find on the "extended range" section in the plane data. Eg. a Jake would have only 2x instead 4x 60kg bombs. Air dropped DCs are not in the game, but simulated by "normal bombs"

If I am correct in this, it might pose a problem with Ann 1E bombers, they are often recommended for use as they are cheap and still have a decent ext. range of 8 which would half on asw to 4 hexes (still ok). However the ext. loadout is only a 100kg bomb and not the 250kg one, if it carries only the 100kg it would be not the best to kill subs.

Another problem I found is that for some reason float planes and also patrols like Mavis,Emily very seldom attack subs, even if they should with simmilar high asw values then eg. a trained IJA 2E bomber unit.

I noted in the PBM the last 3 turns I got severall "hit" messages on USS Haddock, but it still seems to float. Some of the hits were by Anns and Lillies which would only have 100kg bombs. Ofc these hits may be "FOW"

Ki-30 Ann attacking SS Haddock at 102,63
:::::::: SS Haddock is reported HIT
Ki-30 Ann attacking SS Haddock at 102,63

Ki-21-IIa Sally attacking SS Haddock at 102,63

Ki-48-Ib Lily attacking SS Haddock at 104,61

< Message edited by Alpha77 -- 11/15/2019 11:00:07 AM >

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 4
RE: Patrol ASW Loadout? - 11/15/2019 2:51:02 PM   
Dili

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

AW1Steve addressed this recently. Aerial depth charges are just bombs with a different (time delay) fuse. In most 2 engine bombers the fuses could be changed in flight.

What are you saying???

In game DC's work as Bombs period.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Patrol ASW Loadout? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI