Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Fetterkrolle (Axis) VS Bear1888 (Soviets) Bitter End Scenario

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> Fetterkrolle (Axis) VS Bear1888 (Soviets) Bitter End Scenario Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Fetterkrolle (Axis) VS Bear1888 (Soviets) Bitter End Sc... - 6/23/2019 1:12:53 PM   
Fetterkrolle

This is the first time I have ever done an AAR and since I have read many here on the forums I would like to try to make my own. I have played 6-7 1v1 games which have all ended on turn 13 or earlier, but I think this will go on longer since Bear already have other games that are in 43. I am by no means an expert in this game. I would consider myself to be leaving the beginner faze and entering the early intermediate stages. I think my opponent is around the same level if not better, atleast this is what I think after currently having played 8 turns against him.

The scenario we are playing is Bitter end, with normal blizzard no bonus. Weather is also set to historical and we are using better CV.

My plans in 41 is fairly simple.
1. I want to destroy as many Soviet units as possible which will idealy leave him weak in the blizzard and potentialy in 42
2. Leningrad is the main objective geographical objective. The plan is to take Leningrad as soon as possible so the Finns will join the war proparly which in turn means more german forces can be shifted south. Pluss there is plenty of industry and manpower production there.
3. Moscow is my secondary objective and there is no disaster if it does not fall in 41. But having it would make it easier to focus my mobileforces in one place in 42.
4. AGS is to me the least important theater. I will try to go for Sevastopol since it has some extra VPs and it will leave my flank secure. Other than that the Ukrainian stepes is a nice place to kill units so I hope I can catch a lot down there.

I hope you will enjoy reading this and please feel free to comment on anything. Especially if there are things I can improve in my AAR and in my gameplay.
Post #: 1
RE: Fetterkrolle (Axis) VS Bear1888 (Soviets) Bitter En... - 6/23/2019 1:15:30 PM   
Telemecus

Best of luck.

Getting Leningrad quick could indeed be the key to getting to Moscow anyway. I think Sevastopol is only 4 VPs? So might not be worth making too big an effort for it.

+1

(in reply to Fetterkrolle)
Post #: 2
RE: Fetterkrolle (Axis) VS Bear1888 (Soviets) Bitter En... - 6/23/2019 1:31:56 PM   
Fetterkrolle

You are correct it's not a lot of VP's. But from reading AARs it seems almost impossible to take it in 42 so would like to go for it while it is still possible.

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 3
RE: Fetterkrolle (Axis) VS Bear1888 (Soviets) Bitter En... - 6/23/2019 1:54:28 PM   
Fetterkrolle

AGN captures Riga and all the other ports in the area which will ensure that the units that are traped can be destroyed next turn. 1 corps from 3rd Panzergroup is also sent North to help. They did not do a lot this turn, but they are sent North to help on the push towards Leningrad. The FBD that starts around Brest Litovsk is also sent to this theater as it can get quicker to Moscow from this position.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 4
RE: Fetterkrolle (Axis) VS Bear1888 (Soviets) Bitter En... - 6/23/2019 2:02:08 PM   
Fetterkrolle

For AGC it's just the standard pocket. I can't push all the way to Minsk as it would leave the pocket vunerable to being opened. Most of the 2nd Panzergroup is sent South to capture more soviets, which leaves some holes in the pocket but so far I have done the same opening 3 times (this being the third) and the two other times all pockets have held.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 5
RE: Fetterkrolle (Axis) VS Bear1888 (Soviets) Bitter En... - 6/23/2019 2:14:22 PM   
Fetterkrolle

With the help from Panzers from 2nd Panzergroup, AGS is able to pocket a lot of soviets forces. 2 divisions are sent into to edges of the swamp and should still be able to get easily out of there next turn. I will only leave light forces and rumanians to clean up the main Lvov pocket. The rest marches east towards the Dnepr. Most of the AP's were saved this turn to use HQBU's later, I spent a few on reorganizing forces and moving the siegeguns away from the field. Günther von Kluge was also put in charge of OKH.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 6
RE: Fetterkrolle (Axis) VS Bear1888 (Soviets) Bitter En... - 6/23/2019 2:14:40 PM   
xhoel

Will be following this AAR. Best of luck to you!

Sevastopol brings 8 points per turn (4 during your turn and 4 during the Soviet one) but the advantage of having it, is that you don't really have to worry about Soviet naval landings behind your lines. With that being said, I would advise you to not make that your main target, unless you are ready to commit a lot of resources as well as a FBD.

AAR WITW: Gotterdammerung 43-45
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4490035
AAR WITE: A Clash of Titans 41-45
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4488465
WitE 2 Tester and Test Coordinator

Post #: 7
RE: Fetterkrolle (Axis) VS Bear1888 (Soviets) Bitter En... - 6/23/2019 2:17:21 PM   
Telemecus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fetterkrolle
Günther von Kluge was also put in charge of OKH.

I guess we have to ask the "Jodl" question

Who replaced von Kluge at 4th army?

Post #: 8
RE: Fetterkrolle (Axis) VS Bear1888 (Soviets) Bitter En... - 6/23/2019 2:21:15 PM   
Fetterkrolle

Losses are relativly light this turn, but they will quickly increase as the pockets are cleaned up. I forgot to take a screenshot of the airlosses so a turn two screenshot will be provided later.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 9
RE: Fetterkrolle (Axis) VS Bear1888 (Soviets) Bitter En... - 6/23/2019 2:24:35 PM   
Fetterkrolle

I might have made it sound like Sevastopol is my main goal in AGS, but it is not. I just wanted to state that I will actualy go for it instead of just holding the entrances to Crimea. I will be happy with AGS if I can get a straight line for the winter defense that atleast include the Stalino area. Rostov would be a nice bonus aswell as Sevastopol.

(in reply to xhoel)
Post #: 10
RE: Fetterkrolle (Axis) VS Bear1888 (Soviets) Bitter En... - 6/23/2019 2:26:53 PM   
Fetterkrolle

I don't remember actualy. But I was happy it was not Jodl or Model. Jodl being in my politest words, not the best general and Model will be used in corp command later.

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 11
RE: Fetterkrolle (Axis) VS Bear1888 (Soviets) Bitter En... - 6/23/2019 2:32:20 PM   
xhoel

quote:

I might have made it sound like Sevastopol is my main goal in AGS, but it is not. I just wanted to state that I will actualy go for it instead of just holding the entrances to Crimea. I will be happy with AGS if I can get a straight line for the winter defense that atleast include the Stalino area. Rostov would be a nice bonus aswell as Sevastopol.

That is good to hear and in my opinion, breaking in the Crimea is the right choice since southern Crimea only has 4-5 turns of Blizzard and you can hold there without any problems. One less sector to worry about when the Soviets start attacking. I did the same in my AAR (held the Crimea with only 1 Corps) and was very pleased with the results, so I can only recommend it!

AAR WITW: Gotterdammerung 43-45
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4490035
AAR WITE: A Clash of Titans 41-45
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4488465
WitE 2 Tester and Test Coordinator

Post #: 12
RE: Fetterkrolle (Axis) VS Bear1888 (Soviets) Bitter En... - 6/23/2019 4:03:40 PM   
Elessar2

quote:

I don't remember actualy. But I was happy it was not Jodl or Model. Jodl being in my politest words, not the best general and Model will be used in corp command later.

My Fuhrer, I object to your impolite words!

Attachment (1)

Post #: 13
RE: Fetterkrolle (Axis) VS Bear1888 (Soviets) Bitter En... - 7/1/2019 6:29:31 PM   
Fetterkrolle

Turn 2 is underway and there is always that scary feeling when you open the turn where you pray that your pockets held.

In my AAR I will be posting pictures from the whole front when the turn was opened and after that I will be posting what I plan to do and the results. I have seen others doing it front by front, so please let me know if my format does not work well for an AAR.

To start things of I will post a screenshot of the airlosses which I took when I opened my turn. My opponent had done no air operations and put his entire airforce in reserve so the numbers are not to far from what they were on turn 1.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Elessar2)
Post #: 14
RE: Fetterkrolle (Axis) VS Bear1888 (Soviets) Bitter En... - 7/1/2019 6:32:40 PM   
Fetterkrolle

Everything looks good in AGN. Panzers are mostly left unchecked and they have good MPs. My pockets seem to have been tight enough and the infantry is ready to start cleaning up the Soviet formations traped in the Baltic nations.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 15
RE: Fetterkrolle (Axis) VS Bear1888 (Soviets) Bitter En... - 7/1/2019 6:39:02 PM   
Fetterkrolle

Things further South did not go as expected. In AGC the soviets have managed to open the pocket which will greatly slow down my infantry from heading further East. It would seem that one of the infantry formations that were routed into the marshes last turn got out of routed mode and was able to help reconnecting traped soviet troops. This surprised me a lot as I have never had my Center pocket broken before. But It will not change much, the units are still dead they will only suffer in the pocket a bit longer

Attachment (1)

Post #: 16
RE: Fetterkrolle (Axis) VS Bear1888 (Soviets) Bitter En... - 7/1/2019 6:42:42 PM   
Fetterkrolle

The pocket near Brest Litovsk held and it will be cleaned up in 1 turn as these units will be in the way if I let them linger in my rear.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 17
RE: Fetterkrolle (Axis) VS Bear1888 (Soviets) Bitter En... - 7/1/2019 6:50:31 PM   
Fetterkrolle

The classic Lvov pocket has done its job. The cleanup will take several weeks and will be mostly left to light german forces aswell as axis minor powers.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 18
RE: Fetterkrolle (Axis) VS Bear1888 (Soviets) Bitter En... - 7/1/2019 6:58:28 PM   
Fetterkrolle

Pskov looks lightly defended which I found amazing. It looked like it was possible to take the city on turn 2. My plan was very simple, go for the hex West of Pskov. then hit the one North West of Pskov and finaly Pskov itself. Normaly this would leave 4th Pz group way to exposed as axis infantry can't be by Pskov before turn 3 or 4. But since I am using parts of 3rd Pz group they will help guard the flank.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 19
RE: Fetterkrolle (Axis) VS Bear1888 (Soviets) Bitter En... - 7/1/2019 7:00:42 PM   
Fetterkrolle

I was able to cross the river, but the attack on pskov itself failed. Still this is a sucsess as his Pskov defense is allready breached and it will not be safe to stay in the area for much longer.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 20
RE: Fetterkrolle (Axis) VS Bear1888 (Soviets) Bitter En... - 7/1/2019 7:11:51 PM   
Fetterkrolle

I forgot to take screenshots of my opponents defensive positions in the Center and South. This is something that I get better at not forgeting in later turns. Still there is not much to look at in Center, as I was not able to achieve much there anyways. And since both Pz groups in AGC is lending away some of their forces I decided to reinforce them with XIV Pz Corps, including L.A.H and removing 16th Pz division from the corps. I am hopeing this added punching power will be enough to catch up what time I have already lost. Another reason for sending them to AGC is that the soviets railed out almost every unit they could in the South which left me with not to much to grab, so I would not need the extra help from the XIV Corps.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 21
RE: Fetterkrolle (Axis) VS Bear1888 (Soviets) Bitter En... - 7/1/2019 7:23:36 PM   
Fetterkrolle

In the South things go very well. Brest Litovsk pocket is cleared aswell as the smaller pocket just east of the main Lvov pocket. This will leave the supplylines clear of hostiles in the rear.

I saw two opportunities to encirle more soviet forces. One of them was near the prypiat marshes which encirled a soviet armor corps (3 tanks, 1 motorised) and a soviet paratrooper corp. The other one was on the rumaninan border which netted 5 RD and 1 paratrooper.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 22
RE: Fetterkrolle (Axis) VS Bear1888 (Soviets) Bitter En... - 7/1/2019 7:24:20 PM   
Fetterkrolle

Pocket further north.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 23
RE: Fetterkrolle (Axis) VS Bear1888 (Soviets) Bitter En... - 7/1/2019 7:29:19 PM   
Fetterkrolle

Turn 2 Losses are heavy on both sides. I need to keep mine down or else I won't have many men for the winter. One more thing I would like to comment is that it seems my opponent does not care at all about his paratroopers. I guess he wants me to use MPs to kick them back which in some cases I have to but on this turn I encircled a lot of them. Correct me if I am wrong but special/elite units like paratroopers and mountain divisions don't respawn for the soviets. If that is the case I hope my enemy will throw away some mountain divisions aswell

Attachment (1)

Post #: 24
RE: Fetterkrolle (Axis) VS Bear1888 (Soviets) Bitter En... - 7/2/2019 9:37:18 AM   
Telemecus

I noticed your Soviet opponent has taken to marauding such as the rail line destroyed in the red circle shown on the map. In most cases you can say it does not matter too much and you can take your own judgment whether to use units and ZOCs to prevent it. But I would say the rail line in the middle coming out of Hungary is quite important to protect from marauding. If you are not using FBDs out of Poland in the south then you need to rely on auto rail repair to make a bypass of repaired rail around Rumania. So you need auto rail repair to get going from that middle line as soon as possible. Not only will a bypass around Rumania allow arrivals in Germany to be railed quicker to the front in the south, without it Hungarians cannot be railed to the front or garrisons at all. Instead Hungarian units will have to walk or drive taking turns more.

It will be interesting to see how this develops in future turns of the AAR.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Telemecus -- 7/2/2019 9:38:42 AM >

Post #: 25
RE: Fetterkrolle (Axis) VS Bear1888 (Soviets) Bitter En... - 7/20/2019 5:56:45 PM   
Fetterkrolle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Telemecus

I noticed your Soviet opponent has taken to marauding such as the rail line destroyed in the red circle shown on the map. In most cases you can say it does not matter too much and you can take your own judgment whether to use units and ZOCs to prevent it. But I would say the rail line in the middle coming out of Hungary is quite important to protect from marauding. If you are not using FBDs out of Poland in the south then you need to rely on auto rail repair to make a bypass of repaired rail around Rumania. So you need auto rail repair to get going from that middle line as soon as possible. Not only will a bypass around Rumania allow arrivals in Germany to be railed quicker to the front in the south, without it Hungarians cannot be railed to the front or garrisons at all. Instead Hungarian units will have to walk or drive taking turns more.

It will be interesting to see how this develops in future turns of the AAR.

This maraudering will affect the rail repairs in the area, but I decided at first to ignore it. Only time will tell if this had too much affect on the game.

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 26
RE: Fetterkrolle (Axis) VS Bear1888 (Soviets) Bitter En... - 7/20/2019 5:58:29 PM   
Fetterkrolle

This AAR is still active, I have just decided to move to point of view 10 turns back instead of 5 so my opponent will not gain anything from reading the AAR. We are currently on turn 11 so should not be to long until the next update comes for the AAR.

Post #: 27
RE: Fetterkrolle (Axis) VS Bear1888 (Soviets) Bitter En... - 7/29/2019 5:35:53 AM   
MattFL

quote:

Post #: 28
RE: Fetterkrolle (Axis) VS Bear1888 (Soviets) Bitter En... - 8/5/2019 6:42:57 PM   
Fetterkrolle

Turn 3 is normaly quite a boring turn as most of your mobile forces will be out of fuel except in the South. Other than that its just a lot of pocket cleanup and moving units eastwards.

AGN is done cleaning up all the pockets in their sector and all of the infantry is marching towards pskov, which in fact was captured this turn by the panzers. This is ofcourse a great result but at the same time I fear my opponent will just run to the Luga straight away which will not leave me any easy ways to pocket any units in the North. This fear only grows greater as I have done 3HQBUs in the North with all my panzers. I was able to do this as I have been saving a lot of APs in the early turns.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to MattFL)
Post #: 29
RE: Fetterkrolle (Axis) VS Bear1888 (Soviets) Bitter En... - 8/5/2019 6:45:29 PM   
Fetterkrolle

This time the Center pocket held and the cleanup crew is ready to start mopping up. I want to flip as many hexes as possible to the landbridge so my infantry can get there as quickly as possible.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> Fetterkrolle (Axis) VS Bear1888 (Soviets) Bitter End Scenario Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI