Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Cyr (Allies) vs RobW (Germans) in Market Garden (scenario by M4 Jess)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWaW AAR/DAR >> Cyr (Allies) vs RobW (Germans) in Market Garden (scenario by M4 Jess) Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Cyr (Allies) vs RobW (Germans) in Market Garden (scenar... - 5/28/2003 7:30:46 PM   
LordCucumber

Ok. This is my first PBEM guys, so expect everything to go horribly wrong ;) :D

Erhrrhm.. here we go..

Turn 1

A seemingly innocent British column (!) advances on Eindhoven and succesfully repels the first defenders from their entrenched positions. Woohoo! Several paks are still in operation, unfortunately..

Meanwhile, out in a field near Veghel, parachutists from the 101st drop in very sneaky and elements of this group start advancing to the bridges and vital points nearby... BUT THEY'RE SPOTTED (NO!!..)(Yes!).. some severe firefights ensue and casualties mount up..

The 82nd airborne team lands near Grave. They try to do the same as the 101st and some elements even advance on Groesbeek. Everyone stops dead in their tracks for a moment as a scouting jeep gets blow to bits near Nijmegen. "where'd that come from?!!". This is going to be hard and the troops know it!

During all of this, British scouts probe Arnhem. One of the larger platoons finds a sniper in cover, but a single grenade and some rifflefire soon end his misery as his first potshot gets him exposed. British para's race from the vulnerable dropfields into cover while others sneak into town...

*heartbeat 250* :eek:

HOO AH! :cool:

Post #: 1
- 5/28/2003 11:27:44 PM   
LordCucumber

Right.. something has gone wrong.. we're starting over :D I think...

(in reply to LordCucumber)
Post #: 2
- 5/29/2003 9:42:54 PM   
LordCucumber

Ok.. we've started over.. All seems to operate as it should now :D

Turn 1.

A seemingly innocent British column (again!) advances on Eindhoven and takes severe casualties in the lead tanks. The British commander curses as 2 PAK guns and a machinegunnest get lucky on several tanks and a greyhound. Due to extensive riffle and machinegunfire from the Britisch column, the German infantry in the front entrenchement retreat from their position to disperse in utter fear. "Just a minor setback" claims the tankplatoon commander from the burning ruins of his wasted tank, while he tries to put out his shirt which is still smoking from the powderburn.

Meanwhile, out in a field near Veghel, parachutists from the 101st drop in very sneaky and elements of this group start advancing to the bridges and vital points nearby... Some of them are spotted, but no real severe casualties are reported.. yet. Veghel seems well defended, as rifflefire stops the head platoon from advancing further. Fire is exchanged and the 101st boys expect to get hammered soon...

The 82nd airborne team lands near Grave. They try to do the same as the 101st and some elements even advance on Groesbeek, where contact is made! A German infantry platoon get's hammered and run for their lives, a group of paratroopers hot on their tail..

During all of this, British scouts probe Arnhem. A platoon soon finds a sniper who foolishly gives away his position by taking a potshot at the unit's commander. Fire is returned and the sniper is soon dealt with..

(even though I've played the same round twice, the different results still ahve me on the edge of my seat!!)

Post #: 3
German Forces Smell Something - 5/30/2003 2:42:37 PM   
RobW

Alarm Alarm Achtung Achtung.....Das Amis are here.......

Skirmishes breakout all over the Eindhoven-Nijmegen-Arnhem area as elements of the 101st and 82nd airborne, along with a British armoured division approach. The boys and old men assigned to this "quiet backwater" prepare to repel the invaders.

Not a lot happens this turn as the German forces begin to wake up to the imminent threat to this important route direct into Germany.

Post #: 4
- 5/31/2003 5:05:25 AM   
LordCucumber

Turn 2 for the allies..

..Reports are flowing into the field commander's tent like crazy:
"Sir! 101st Airborne have taken a bridge near Eindhoven, sir!" "Sir! 82 Airborne have discovered several unknown German units near Grave", sir!" "Sir, the Scottsman has taken the north end of the bridge in Arnhem and is trying to secure a perimeter, sir!" "Sir! The men at Groesbeek report good progress, sir!"...

Meanwhile the nearby armored column takes some losses in the south, but it also totally destroys a PAK gun and it's crew, an MG nest and sends German infantrists running to their mommies! Soon the column will pass into German territory if they can keep this pressure on!

Suddenly there is a vague humming sound.. The commander looks up from his maps.. "What's going on, Jeffrey?"..
The humming sound gets louder.. "Sir, our reinforcements are arriving, sir!" and several C47 aircraft and gliders pass overhead, dropping their cargo behind enemy lines. The men cheer as they see their chums arrive..

Post #: 5
- 6/2/2003 7:46:52 PM   
RobW

Units now engaged through out the area. Britsh & Irish tanks are advancing north, looks like they intend to drive all before them - have to see what we can do. Around the bridges US and German forces clash. I manage to force US troops to withdraw from the North end of Arnhem whilst I begin to try to sweep the area clean.

1 Panzer was taken out by an airborne unit.....

hopefully reinforcements will ease the situation if I can get them here quick enough

Post #: 6
- 6/3/2003 3:53:34 AM   
LordCucumber

Allies turn 3

The armored column has broken through and is now in the thick of things. Nest after nest of defenders is taken under fire as a forward observatory post gets blown to bits! Another tank takes a shell and blows! But it does not matter, for reinforcements are rolling into the German lines!

The troops in Groesbeek take severe casualties but send the German defenders running nonetheless! Near Grave more German units are exposed and taken under fire. Units near Nijmegen destroy a pillbox guarding a bridge.

The British field commander paces through his tent. "We blew up a WHAT?".. "A panzer, sir! There are panzers in the area!".. "WHY WAS I NOT AWARE OF THIS??? And I assume they're bl**dy SS too?" "Sir, I fear so, sir.." "I get the distinct feeling we are going to need those reinforcements.."

Meanwhile the Urquheart's Scottsmen are making good progress in Arnhem, though resistance is tougher than expected. Jeeps with MGs race around town hunting rogue infantry units and send Germans running for cover. A Brencarrier is sent over the main bridge to deal with whatever was firing at it. It takes heavy fire, but by some act of God it makes it to the other side! There it positions itsself behind the fortifications and (hopefully) out of harms way.. The exhausted driver starts radio-ing for artillery..

Post #: 7
German Turn 3 - 6/4/2003 2:45:55 PM   
RobW

From the south up:

British armoured are pushing north, my Pak 40s failed to inflict casualties this turn

Eindhoven: heavy street fighting in the west with the 101st supported by artillery. Manage to force some of the airborne units to withdraw and managed to suprise 6 artillery units in the western field. Seriously damaged 3 of these units.

Veghal: seems quiet at the moment

Grave: Heavy fighting in the area, managing to hold the US airborne away from the bridge with a combined arms operation. To the west of town an infanty firefight sees a US airborne unit stranded in the river and forces more to withdraw

Nijmegen: US 82nd seen on the southern edge of the town, managed to force a MG unit to withdarw.

Arnhem: The bridge is havily contested with the lone bren carrier still on the southern side. North of the bridge sporadic firefights break out as both sides try to gain the accendancy

German units are slowly mobilizing and heading towards the sound of battle. The situation at the moment is desparate but hopefully the loss of some of the US artillery and the longed for arrival of german reinforcements will begin to swing this fight

Post #: 8
- 6/4/2003 7:39:37 PM   
LordCucumber

"..taking fire.. rear.. Germ.. infantr.. *zwiiiiiiioing* *peeps* *cranks* *silence*.."

The field commander takes his hanky out and wipes his forehead. A shell goes off not 20 meters from the command post. "****.. they're in our rear at Grave.. That will most likely cost us artillery.." "Sir we have more incoming fire.. I suggest we take cover?" "Ah yes Jeffrey, fine, fine.. let's go.."

A Sherman V wanders off on it's own away from the convoy and gets blow to bits in the souther area. More and more German defenses get hammered as the column pushes on to Eindhoven. A Panzer III gets blown from the road as it tries to block the assaulters.

Fierce fighting commences as airborne troops take Groesbeek. Utter chaos commences everywhere else.

In Arnhem troops encounter more Germans in the woods near the church. Brigade General Urquheart fears things may get very messy very soon.

Post #: 9
German Turn 4 - 6/4/2003 8:54:01 PM   
RobW

From the south up:

British armoured are pushing north, took out 2 Armoured cars. In the very south a daredevil PzIV pops up and lobs shells at a Sherman, a Churchill and a Stuart missing all!

Eindhoven: Heavy fighting continues to the east. Manage to force 2 units to withdraw, and destroy a MG nest and an airborne unit. Artillery is still at large in this area and fail to inflict damage this turn.

Grave: Heavy fighting in the area, managing to hold the US airborne away from the bridge with a combined arms operation. To the west of town continue to meet stiff oposition. Barrage of 75mm shells forces defenders to take cover.

Nijmegen: US 82nd approching form the south

Arnhem: Managed to force the British airborne to relinquish the bridge. Took out 1 jeep, 1 6lber and forced numerous units to withdraw. Armour drives reclessly over the bridge to force the brigdhead.

Reinforcements arrive and quickly show there mettle in the fight for Arnhem. Hope to consolidate the bridge head and force the British to panic.

Post #: 10
- 6/4/2003 11:34:16 PM   
LordCucumber

The armored column gets into some real trouble as suddenly more Panzers emerge from the smoke. Some armor is lost as the column slowly but surely tries to plow it's way through. Two Panzers are taken out of action as a small counterattack is done to parry the flanking attack by the over couragious Panzer IV.

At Grave things are beginning to look grim. Men are fighting over each inch and try to seek cover where they can. Another artillery barrage is called in. This is truly going to be a grave.. literally..

Scouts at Nijmegen are driven back and a larger 82nd AB platoon makes contact trying to parry the German ambush.

Groesbeek falls to the allies as a perfectly conducted flanking rear attack succeeds!

In Arnhem troops scurry for cover as with rapid speed armor races accross the bridge, firing at each oppertunity. General Urquheart orders a counterattack on the lead units, but to no avail. A Panzer pops up, seemingly out of nowhere, near the church. The exhausted and battered platoon there tries to take it out, but fails. The British para's need that relief column.. bad!

Post #: 11
- 6/5/2003 6:45:09 PM   
RobW

From the south up:

British armoured are pushing north, took out 2 tanks - 1 with an 88 and one with a tank lurking in the east.

Eindhoven: Heavy fighting continues to the east. Managed to inflict little damage this turn

Grave: Heavy fighting in the area, managing to hold the US airborne away from the bridge with a combined arms operation. To the west of town continue to meet stiff oposition. Defending infantry suppressed so unable to do a lot this turn

Nijmegen: US 82nd approching form the south - discover infiltration to the east of the city

Arnhem: Brave (or mad) armour pours over the bridge tyring to expand the bridgehead. British airborne trade shots taking out a number of my AFVs. Mortars manage to force some Ariborne to withdraw. To the west of the city elements of the British 1st Airborne are discovered trying to cut the road to Appeldorn - mortars brought up to force them to withdraw.

Grooesbeek: no units here so unsure of the situation

Oosterbeek: no units here so unsure of the situation

Arnhem is a maeltrom at the moment. Burning armour blocks decent LOS so allows British Airborne to move around at will.

Post #: 12
- 6/5/2003 10:59:07 PM   
LordCucumber

Utter Chaos.. :D

Losses are mounting in the armored column as certain treacherous officers show little patience and ride/walk themselves into certain death. Even though the column is stuck here for now, they will not give up without a fight! Men grind their teeth as reinforcements advance slowly to the frontline positions. A pillbox remains a nasty little position. British Infantry cannot reach it since it is well covered on each side by a Panzer and an 88mm AA gun. This may certainly take a while...

The artillery grinds up German positions at Grave, and the commander of the northern unit there seems confident that the town will fall. The units near the west of town try to advance, and suffer for their attempt.

Nijmegen is probed by troops as they are discovered trying to sneak in on the east side. A jeep lends a hand by dispersing the defenders with .50 fire.

In Arnhem things are looking grimmer still. Armor now roams the streets as British men frantically try to defend their positions. Flamethrowers are used against armor in combination with grenades, but nothing seems to stop these Germanic Beasts. Near the church the Panzer there gets blown to bits and several German infantry units are taken by surprise as fresh paratroopers arrive and open fire. All but one unit run like whipped dogs.

It looks like you have broken the tip of my armored spear, Rob :mad: ;) :D

Post #: 13
- 6/6/2003 3:20:33 PM   
RobW

From the south up:

British armoured are stalled on their push north. Took out a half track and 2 tanks this turn. My eastern panzers are stining at a cost. Looking at the jump off point shows me a number of british units imobilized but still crewed.

Eindhoven: the town is now heavily contested. I need to offer some security in case the XXX armoured manages to break through my road block. Took out another 75mm aritllery piece. Hope that is the last one in this area.

Veghal: seems quiet at the moment but there are some odd smoke clouds appearing to the west. I am concerned about this - the silence is very uneasy.

Grave: Grave is under serious pressure. Airborne infantry to the north and west is threatening the bridge which I feel will soon fall into the enemies hands. With the action starting north I cannot hope to reinforce this area so may rethink this area.

Nijmegen: Infantry infiltrate the city. I manage to destroy one scouting party and the addition of some of my rare panzers forces some of the western units to pull back. Again, this could soon become a desparate situation if reinforcements can't help.

Arnhem: Again my armour seeks out the British airborne. A number of my units are taken out by the flamethrowers that seem to be very effective in street fighting. This will be tough to counter but I feel I am beginning to force the British west. If I can secure the town I Should be able to begin to look south. To the west of the city elements of the British 1st Airborne are discovered trying to cut the road to Appeldorn - mortars brought up to force them to withdraw. Fighting close to the church is grave and loose one intrepid mortar unit.

Grooesbeek: a stug approaches cautiously and encounters light resistance from units of the 82nd.

Arnhem is a maelstrom at the moment. Burning armour blocks decent LOS so allows British Airborne to move around at will. The situation at Grave needs some serious intervention but if I can d Eindhoven and Nijmegen I should be able to crush the 82nd and 101st which seem to be in the area

Post #: 14
- 6/6/2003 10:35:42 PM   
LordCucumber

"Sir.. we have some German infantry on our east wing sir.. near the assembly area.. they may become a problem if they call in more shells sir!" "Right Jeffrey, send in some men and one of our spare tanks and dispose of them.. they cannot cross their own minefield so keeping them out should not be a problem!"

Orderly Jeffrey jumps out of the command truck (since the tent got torn to ribbons by artillery shells) and heads out to issue the orders.

Another PAK gun is taken out of action and a few tanks stuck in the anti tank trenches manage to get loose as the string of vehicles gets moving again. The armored column is going to reach Eindhoven yet!

Reports indicate that Grave is about to fall. Men from the 82nd airborne pour over the bridge under heavy fire as others take the enclosed fields west of town.

Units at Groesbeek take on a Stug and it's infantry unit. Hopefully they can dispose of them soon.

Nijmegen is assaulted in a miniature pincer move. On both sides armour is taken out and artillery is called in to shell the remaining defenders.

Arnhem becomes hell for the armour there, as flamers and grenades take their toll. Another Panzer is discovered in the church area as more airborne reinforcements emerge from the woods. A few units try to take the Panzer with AT weapons, but to no avail. Meanwhile the German infantry gets hammered.

Hmmmm as far as I am concerned this is becoming a bloody stalemate.. though a minor victory may still be in the bag for either of us :rolleyes:

Post #: 15
- 6/9/2003 3:12:08 PM   
RobW

From the south up:

British armoured are still stalled at my roadblock. However they are beginning to get some mobility after freeing units stuck in my anti-tank traps. Managing to tie up 34 tanks at the very south so hopefully I can hold him until Eindhoven is more secure.

Eindhoven: Quieter this turn. Need to regroup and allow the Americans to make the next move.

Grave: The bridge is lost. The americans managed to force my units back.

Nijmegen: Heavy fighting continues to the east. Units are not holding as I would like. Managed to force 2 units to withdraw by using large calibre shells on them. In the east the first forces are seen trying to infiltrate the city.

Arnhem: Armour continues to force the British back (all be it at a price) as thier piats and flame throwers prove costly. The east of the city is secure but heavy fighting around the church shows that the British are far from defeated. Panthers and Tigers are called in to try to force the British to retreat

Grooesbeek: 2 Stugs and supporting infantry find remnants of the 82nd lurning in the town. Force a number to withdraw but lose 1 Stug.

Arnhem is beginning to swing back to me. Additional infantry are moving in to try to help the armour. Grave has fallen, need to see which way the Americans move, south to attack through Veghal into the North of Eindhoven or NOrth to assit theit comrades in Nijmegen.

Post #: 16
- 6/9/2003 8:27:59 PM   
LordCucumber

Jeffrey scrambles back into the command truck as a shell passes overhead. "Sir, the men at Arnhem are reporting heavy armour buildup there, sir! They are falling back. The good news is that reinforcements have dropped in, sir!" The commander looks up from his map, his face white with either fear or anger, tis hard to tell, "Well at least Grave is near next to in our hands.. But I just got a report stating a Stug batallion with infantry attacked our boys at Groesbeek.. This is getting dire, my dear Jeffrey. Let us hope we can finally reach Eindhoven the next few hours, so we may push on.."

The armored column seems to have cleared most of the obstacles in it's way and with little resistance left prepare to besiege Eindhoven and relieve the 101st airborne troops there.

Meanwhile, the Bridge at Grave is overrun. German defenders frantically try to defend the town, and a boat filled with defenders is seen and sunk! From the west, troops advance on the town, taking prisonners and scattering the defenders as best they can.

At Groesbeek two Stugs pop up and the contingent of troops left behind does their best to contain the mess that ensues.

Nijmegen is assaulted from all sides now and the German troops there take heavy casualties. The town will fall if the paratroopers manage to keep the initiative.

In Arnhem British troops pull back to the west, taking out every vehicle that gets in their way if they get the chance. More panzers are discovered as the Brits near the church push their advance into town.

I'm quite sure now.. this may turn into a stalemate.. :D

Post #: 17
- 6/10/2003 3:31:18 PM   
RobW

From the south up:

British armour seems to have by-passed my road block. Can't see anything. Infantry skirmishes and infantry assaults on tanks seem to be the order of the day.

Eindhoven: Found a 101st airborne unit lurking to the south, forced it to withdraw (at a cost) but not sure if anything else is around.

Grave: The bridge is lost. The americans managed to force my units back. Managing to inflict casuatlties to the 82nd units coming over the bridge and destroyed an airborne mortar lurking in a house.

Nijmegen: Eerily quiet but discovered 2 units lurking in the city. Forced one to withdraw and suppressed the second. On the southern road an airborne unit is forced to withdraw.

Arnhem: Lost a tiger to an infaantry assault :( but forced a lot of British units to withdraw. Fighting in the center is becoming dirty. Burning tanks pay tribute to the resistance put up by the British ariborne. I feel things are falling neatly into place and may be able to crush the British resistance in the next couple of turns.

Grooesbeek: Stugs with infantry support push through the village, forcing the 82nd to withdarw. The question is how many units were left to hold this place and how many were moved into Nijmegen?

Things are slowing down at the moment. The vanishing armour in the south is worrying - hopefully it has all run away. Arnhem will be mine soon. Nijmegen is hotting up. Al in all I think the defenders currently have the upper hand but in this era of long reaching artillery (yes he still has some 75mm secreted somewhere) and arial supply and support who knows what will happen.

Post #: 18
- 6/10/2003 6:28:30 PM   
LordCucumber

Allied turn 9...

In war, things often change quickly..

The armored column is almost through the rather enormous roadblock in the south (phew, finally) and after losing a single tank at the front of the column, the field commander realises that the shot did not come from nearby, but from Eindhoven! The column is so near the city they can practically smell the German defenders there! And it's about time too!

In Grave heavy streetfighting breaks out. The Germans hold the town fair enough, considering what they are facing, yet the penetration by 82nd airborne continues and victory is almost at hand..

Groesbeek is returned to allied hands as paratroopers regroup, take out another Stug and disperse an infantry platoon.

Meanwhile heavy streetfighting ensues in Nijmegen, as airborne units supported by a jeep race through town to gain the upper hand. Panzers are discovered near the south end of town.

In Arnhem several Panzers bite the dust, despite the forced retreat. The church gains a new graveyard, one with tanks so to speak, as several Panzers and a group of German infantrymen get clobbered into submission. In the town itself more and more vehicles are set aflame, get grenaded or have to ride on with no tracks (which cannot be easy). The men cheer as another halftrack goes blasting into the sky...

More planes fly overhead and somewhere behind enemy lines a late platoon of paratroopers is dropped, who immediately start marching toward nearby hotspots.

Post #: 19
German Turn 9 - 6/10/2003 9:59:55 PM   
RobW

From the south up:

The roadblock seems to have been neutralised. Static defence of 2-88s and 2 Panzers was soon overcome. Now to see if Eindhoven can hold the British up. I think I managed to take out a fair amount of his armour tho.

Eindhoven: Took out the last (I hope) 75mm in the field to the west of the city. To the north 101st airborne units are seen approaching down the road. I would have thought they would have learnt after Carentan that this was not a sensible move. Combined arms from north & south ha strapped them a good way from the town.

Grave: The situation is uclear. The allies hold the bridge but my infantry is preventing them pushing south. I suspect infantry has bypassed the city on the west and is heading south for Veghal. Shall have to keep an eye on this one.

Nijmegen: The sound of gunfire is heavy to the west of the city as American forces push north. German infantry is forced to retire but armour is brought in to force the Americans back. On the eastern edge of the city american forces from Grosebeek are seen and engaged

Arnhem: Better this turn. Didn't lose anything and forced the British to withdraw further. I will push him out yet. In the church yard the armoured presence continues to wreek havoc on the British paratroopers, forceing 3 units to withdraw.

Grooesbeek: The Stugs and infantry again retake the town, forcing 1 unit of americans to disband. Unfortunately I lost another Stug!

Oosterbeek: Lone PzIV enters the town to be greated by a salvo of 75mm shells (so thats where they are). Unsure of what infantry are present in the village

OK, Germans feel good this turn. The roadblock has fallen and so Eindhoven awaits the expected link up betwene the XXX Armoured and the 101st airborne. Lets hope the differences between Queens English and American English casue problems! Nijmegen is not a comfortable position but I am hoping that I can wrap up Arnhem into a containment problem and send much needed reinforcements south.

Post #: 20
- 6/10/2003 11:14:51 PM   
LordCucumber

The armored column is still not at Eindhoven. The field commander taps his foot on the wooden floorboard and his fingers on his improvised desk in the back of the command truck. "Jeffrey.. radio our boys in Arnhem to withdraw when possible. Our artillery field there is now compromised and they are truly surrounded.." "Sir, yes sir, I will do so, sir".

Eindhoven is put under fire from the engaging armour and their infantry support. A halftrack is blow to tiny bits as it tries to move on the town.. the shaken infantry unit disembarks and takes cover behind a smokescreen. Looks like they still have AT guns up there!

Grave falls to the allies. Resistance in the form of one machinegun unit and a rifflemen section will be dealt with swiftly.

Groesbeek is liberated.. again.. this time blowing up a Stug and killing off remaining infantry. The exhausted stragglers hope this was the last of the German defenders here.

Nijmegen becomes messy as several allied units stumble inside, to find the town lightly but effeciently defended. Casualties are suffered, but the foothold is maintained. Several German infantry units get sprayed and run and a truck is blown skyhigh.

Arnhem is total chaos as the Brits try their best to take out armour, only to find them supported by infantry and some very couragious crewmen. Several Scotts units run toward a German unit instead of away from it, and are now sharing a building with them. No doubt the Germans will take them prisonner soon.

Meanwhile fighting at the church continues. para's manage to maintain their foothold there, but not their momentum. Some of them can't move left or right as armour comes pouring out of the treeline. Some men are determent to stop the German advance, others retreat.

In the west near Oosterbeek several combined arms units advance on the artillery field there. The men frantically move their guns to defend the position, one even fires at the lead tank, but to no avail...

Post #: 21
- 6/11/2003 2:54:10 AM   
RobW

From the south up:

Eindhoven: Armour and infantry seen moving to the south. Germans brace themsleves for this new threat and the expected re-appearance of the 101st who were forced to licck their wounds.

Grave: The town is lost. The last remnants of the German defence decide to call it a day. Which way will he go now?

Nijmegen: 1 US unit this turn is defeated. Infantry molve to new locations in order to repel the incusrions from all sides.

Arnhem: The end is in sight. Managed to take the surrender of 2 more British units. Combined arms work together to force more units to withdraw. Panthers near the church also destroy some of the British airborne units.

Grooesbeek: Things are not looking good here

Oosterbeek: Combined arms manage to take out 1 75mm and identify the location of 2 more. Unknown if there are British paratroopers in the vicinity but I guess we will soon find out

OK, Germans feel good this turn. The roadblock has fallen and so Eindhoven awaits the expected link up betwene the XXX Armoured and the 101st airborne. Lets hope the differences between Queens English and American English casue problems! Nijmegen is not a comfortable position but I am hoping that I can wrap up Arnhem into a containment problem and send much needed reinforcements south.

Post #: 22
- 6/11/2003 6:19:21 AM   
LordCucumber

[QUOTE]OK, Germans feel good this turn.[/QUOTE]

Masochists?

The armored column, supported by infantry, makes it through to Eindhoven. Many of the defenders are sent running immediately, others are killed on sight. Eindhoven will be overrun soon.

Grave is now clear of Germans and a small contingent is kept there to keep it that way. An improvised recon section is sent out to scout the countryside for more German stragglers.

Groesbeek is secure once more, as the last of the Germans there run into the bushes messing their pants.

Nijmegen's defenses are crumbling as airborne troops waltz in, taking no prisonners! A pincer move is conducted very succesfully so far.

In Arnhem, several stuck units fight for their lives, as others make the Germans suffer for every inch of the town. The allied soldiers make very clear the fight is not over yet!

Post #: 23
- 6/11/2003 11:08:00 AM   
STIM

Hey good job guys, I've been injoying the read!!
It's very intense right now, but I think the Allies will have the victory. I could be wrong though, I don't know how many units are on each side, and if there are any backup units.

Post #: 24
- 6/11/2003 11:48:08 AM   
LordCucumber

Couldn't tell you. It's been utter chaos and I think both sides have many tired units that will run even when a cow passes wind loudly. But thank you for showing interest in our game :).

Post #: 25
- 6/11/2003 2:23:15 PM   
RobW

From the south up:

Eindhoven: Armour and infantry push up and enter the town. Defending germans are cut off and fight for their lives

Grave: The town is lost.

Nijmegen: Not a lot this turn. Manage to take out the jeep parked on the western hill and rally som e of my units. 1 US unit takes casualties and runs when I fire at another unit nearby

Arnhem: This is painful. I am managing to force his Brits to withdraw west. My panthers are still lurking and manage to get the British headquarters to surrender. Hope the end is nearly in sight.

Grooesbeek: The town is lost

Oosterbeek: Destroy 1 75mm, force 1 to decrew and attack a third. No sign of infantry at the moment as my units enter the city. Lose 1 halftrack to 75mm op-fire.

OK, Germans feel not so good this turn. Towns are falling up and down the map. Only Vehgel remains intact in the southern half but with Americans and British armour north and south I can't expect this situation to remain so. Hopefully the north will soon be firmly in German hands again and I can start to release much needed men along the road south.

P.S. so thats the Allies secret weapon - cows dropped by glider full of wind - **** their secret chemical weapons!

Post #: 26
- 6/11/2003 7:31:43 PM   
AC

Hi all!

It's amazing how one and the same scenario can come out completely different. I'm actually playing Market Garden with a friend, me Germans and he Allies. We're now on turn 15 or so, and while he had a very easy way up from the south, I managed to throw the Red Devils out of Arnhem in the first 5-6 turns, without loosing a single tank in city fighting. He's now preparing for his attack on Grave, while I am almost finished in mopping up the paratroopers in the southeast of Nimwegen.
As far as I am concerned, I'd say that the Allies at the moment have a slight advantage having room to maneuver and a still heavy number of tanksWill see if I can stop them ;)

AC

"Tridentina, avanti!" General L. Reverberi leading his Alpini troops in the decisive assault on Soviet-held Nikolajewka, 26th January 1943

Post #: 27
Great Reading Guys!!!!!! - 6/11/2003 7:47:56 PM   
Hawk

I love this PBEM Mission..........Kudos to Jess!!!!!!!
It's my greatest Battle!!!!:D :D

=A82A=Hawk[Maj]|LP|
"All we knew was.....We were in this TOGETHER" ......Band of Brothers

Post #: 28
- 6/11/2003 8:13:09 PM   
LordCucumber

Allies turn 12..

The armored column liberates Arnhem and prepares to move to Grave as infantry sweep the town for German stragglers. The ruined artilleryfield outside of town is discovered, alongside a few very tired 101st defenders.

Grave is cleared of all enemy activity, at least for now. Units try to get some rest while they can and wait for the tanks. The recon patrol reports no German activity, but a probe of remaining German forces is soon expected.

The battle for Nijmegen gets darker as house to house fighting continues, with no real advantage for either side. A selfpropelled gun, one that took out a certain jeep a short while back, is blow up with grenades and the crew runs for it's life.

In Groesbeek men scurry to take cover for incoming fire. Nonetheless, it's new occupants are expected to last a while. Quite worryingly, German reinforcements are spotted heading downriver nearby..

Near Arnhem the newly baptised 'Angry Scottsmen' try their best to maintain their foothold. One panzer is taken out, another two assaulted to no avail and casualties are mounting. A halftrack is taken out of commission. The men are desperate but hold on to their positions as much they can!

The assaulted artillery field gets some help from a nearby jeep that races to the scene, fires at a machinegunnest, takes out a few men from an infantry squad and races out again. Hopefully this will buy the commander at the field some time. He is grimly ordered to defend to the last man.

Post #: 29
- 6/12/2003 2:25:58 PM   
RobW

From the south up:

Eindhoven: XXX Armour push through the town, resistance crumbled much too easily for my liking.

Veghal: seems quiet at the moment but I guess XXX will be here soon guys.

Grave: The town is lost.

Nijmegen: 1 Us force withdrew and another was spotted in the eastern suburbs. Waiting for the US forces to make a dash for the bridge - offensive operations by the Germans cannot happen as I am seriously weakened.

Arnhem: I thik (for the 3rd time in 5 truns) that the city is 99% secure. British infantry are surrendering all over the place as I finally get infantry support for my Panzers. Lost 1 brand new Tiger as it wandered down the street but its brother came over and took out the offensive Brits. The churchyard sees more fighting as the Scots make a bid to stem my push to link with Oosterbeek

Grooesbeek: The town is lost

Oosterbeek: Move into town for the loss of one more halftrack. Still no sign of infantry so trying to consolidate before they show up. 75mm ares still at large in the corner but as they are trapped by the river and my forces I will be able to isolate them and take them out.

I guess the Germans feel a little better. The front they need to defend is being compressed which can only lead a greater concentration of fire power to stop the invaders. Let us see how long the Brits will last as I turn the might of my infantry on their rear.

P.S. as I was so promptly reminded whilst reading in bed last night - "the 2nd rule of war is never reinforce defeat". Lets see if I can work that into stopping the allies!!!

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWaW AAR/DAR >> Cyr (Allies) vs RobW (Germans) in Market Garden (scenario by M4 Jess) Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI