Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Strategic/Tactical question from a new(er) IJFB

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Strategic/Tactical question from a new(er) IJFB Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Strategic/Tactical question from a new(er) IJFB - 1/16/2020 6:25:17 PM   
Cheesesteak

Playing BTS 5.4, selected bc we both like the prospect of different/new toys, and I need the economic buffer. Reading about players squeezing every point of the econ is one thing, actually doing it is another story.

I can add strategic in-game pictures if it will help, but that will have to wait until I'm home. Situation: it's Dec. 15 so far I've captured Sinkawang, Miri, Ternate, Sorong, Manus, Rabaul, Tarawa, Vigan, Loang. Successfully landed at Mersing and Khota Baru. Hong Kong is mine.

brace for a series of pics

Attachment (1)

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber
Post #: 1
RE: Strategic/Tactical question from a new(er) IJFB - 1/16/2020 6:26:37 PM   
Cheesesteak

p1

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Cheesesteak)
Post #: 2
RE: Strategic/Tactical question from a new(er) IJFB - 1/16/2020 6:27:03 PM   
Cheesesteak

p2

Attachment (1)

Post #: 3
RE: Strategic/Tactical question from a new(er) IJFB - 1/16/2020 6:28:03 PM   
Cheesesteak

p3

Attachment (1)

Post #: 4
RE: Strategic/Tactical question from a new(er) IJFB - 1/16/2020 6:28:29 PM   
Cheesesteak

p4

Attachment (1)

Post #: 5
RE: Strategic/Tactical question from a new(er) IJFB - 1/16/2020 6:28:51 PM   
Cheesesteak

p5

Attachment (1)

Post #: 6
RE: Strategic/Tactical question from a new(er) IJFB - 1/16/2020 6:29:19 PM   
Cheesesteak

Hopefully this is something that interests a few of you!

Post #: 7
RE: Strategic/Tactical question from a new(er) IJFB - 1/16/2020 6:35:49 PM   
RangerJoe

A good idea to go for the Commonwealth units. Push the Chinese around but if you want to capture Chungking, it would be easier without a lot of respawned units. Then kill the Chinese off. BTW, there is another city where the Chinese would come in, it is right next to the Himalayas. Low LRCAP Ledo and the Chinese cities where you think that any air transport of supplies to China is taking place. Maybe even paradrop on Paoshan . . .

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

Post #: 8
RE: Strategic/Tactical question from a new(er) IJFB - 1/16/2020 7:54:07 PM   
Zorch

Death by PowerPoint is cruel and unusual punishment. Moderator!

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 9
RE: Strategic/Tactical question from a new(er) IJFB - 1/16/2020 8:30:14 PM   
Cheesesteak

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

Death by PowerPoint is cruel and unusual punishment. Moderator!

sorry! busy day at work and I was already in that mode. It's google slides if that's any better haha.

Really what im getting at is a game mechanic question that may influence my overall strategy.

Is my understanding of the mechanic correct? Is it remotely feasible?

If so, it opens up perhaps an unexpected avenue to beat someone who is very likely a superior opponent. He knows I don't think big the same way twice, but I doubt he will consider me forgoing certain map objectives in pursuit of destroying his LCUs. Not to say I intend to play foolishly.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 10
RE: Strategic/Tactical question from a new(er) IJFB - 1/16/2020 10:53:52 PM   
inqistor

Yes, squads upgrade automatically to latest model, when in pool.

If you want to destroy squads, do it when LCUs are still on ships. How does he create convoys, where are their routes, and what forces do you need to catch, and annihilate them?
Problem with land combat is that as long as LCU is at airfield or at coast, squads can be evacuated by air. The best opportunity is to conquer surrounded Base, where they are, so whole units will surrender. But forcing LCU to retreat also creates lots of loses, and bombing them from air, in clear terrain is actually pretty deadly. Work on your air arm, you know how many replacements Allies get, because it is fixed.

Your best bet is to lure him into Decisive Battle early (like 1942), and win it.

Post #: 11
RE: Strategic/Tactical question from a new(er) IJFB - 1/16/2020 11:07:18 PM   
RangerJoe

Just remember, even VP losses are a win for you in the long run. You can harvest a lot of VPs from the Chinese. Operational losses on 4E beasts are just as good as a kill.

< Message edited by RangerJoe -- 1/16/2020 11:09:48 PM >

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to inqistor)
Post #: 12
RE: Strategic/Tactical question from a new(er) IJFB - 1/17/2020 12:55:58 PM   
Cheesesteak

definitely. I may pop in from time to time for tactical questions, but don't have time to do a full-on AAR.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 13
RE: Strategic/Tactical question from a new(er) IJFB - 1/17/2020 2:53:06 PM   
Chickenboy

Two comments:

1. Yes, putting the hurt on Commonwealth and Indian LCUs will make it difficult for them (and take a great deal of time) to regenerate effectively, due to their low replacement rates. If the Chinese army is still circa 200 squads a month (not sure about your mod / game), then one can also stay 'ahead' of this by timely liquidation of Chinese corps. Don't forget that it takes supply to flesh out replacements into skeleton corps, even if they are sequestered at Chungking.

For me, destroying the smaller units (e.g., squads, engineers, guns) is where to direct your effort. Not making them retreat. Not making them take 'casualties' and fall back. But destroying the framework of the larger LCUs by putting the hurt on their subunit construction is where it's at for a pressure point. Moreso for those Allies with low replacement rates.

2. How to avoid enemy retreat and further their liquidation? Islands with no egress are helpful (Hong Kong, Singapore, Java, Sumatra, Philippines, Ceylon) starting points. Focus on controlling the enemy ability to withdraw from pressure. Restricting LOS/LOC by cutting off retreat paths before main assault. Surround. Pummel from the air (IJAAF predominant/exclusive). Use as much good Japanese artillery as possible and focus it. Make sure you have ample supply to support this siege. Small Japanese armored units are well suited for the LOC/LOS work-particularly in China. They can cover a lot of ground and turn a lot of hex sides, but they're brittle if used in a direct assault.

Of course, as others have mentioned, destroying troop transports at sea is great work if you can find it. Destroying Allied carriers is job #1 for the IJN. Destroying Allied troops at sea is a close second.

Post #: 14
RE: Strategic/Tactical question from a new(er) IJFB - 1/17/2020 4:19:11 PM   
GetAssista

p4: Old squads upgrade gradually (and rather slowly) if they already were in the pool. If they arrive in the pool from the upgrade of the unit to newer squads, they upgrade instantly and are available as new squads in the pool on the next turn. This makes it possible to quickly upgrade divisions as soon as enough new squads for a regiment are available.

p5.1 Bomb supply generation in China as soon as possible, and keep pushing to make him use supplies for battles. He will eventually fold. The trick is to not batter your own army too much in the process.
p5.2 Try the Indian invasion in he first half of 42. With enough speed and good usage of paras/tanks you can cut the rails out of Burma/Eastern India and lay hurt on the Indian/Brit squads

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 15
RE: Strategic/Tactical question from a new(er) IJFB - 1/17/2020 5:19:54 PM   
Cheesesteak

Gents, thanks. This is the exact sort of info I'm looking for. I'll use the weekend to dig through AAR archives and find good hex-closure tactics.

CB, Aaffins is damned annoying to snare. Going to have to seriously up my game if I'm going to catch meaningful pockets of the listed unit types.

GetAssista - I'll work on getting that trick to play out. My thought is to use the scenario-specific additional bombers to strike at China. It's only one under-strength sqdn now, but will be a good use of airframes.

good validation. IConstantly fail to use paras and tanks as I ought.

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 16
RE: Strategic/Tactical question from a new(er) IJFB - 1/17/2020 10:14:57 PM   
inqistor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cheesesteak

Going to have to seriously up my game if I'm going to catch meaningful pockets of the listed unit types.

Just remember, that you don't want to cut enemy out in the open. They won't surrender, but create zombie resistance. It could take you few weeks to reduce that pocket, and they somehow cause lots of damage.

quote:

GetAssista - I'll work on getting that trick to play out. My thought is to use the scenario-specific additional bombers to strike at China. It's only one under-strength sqdn now, but will be a good use of airframes.

Formosa is the same command as Japan. You can move most of restricted units there, and BETTYs would have lots of China in range (but beware, you will probably have no units to train new pilots for 2E IJN bombers).
Port Arthur, and Korea-China border also allows to stage some planes from Manchukuo Garrison. Not many Chinese targets in range, but still some, especially for 2Es.

Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Strategic/Tactical question from a new(er) IJFB Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI