Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

GROUND UNITS, when?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> The War Room >> GROUND UNITS, when? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
GROUND UNITS, when? - 11/18/2019 3:52:28 PM   
jeremia

Hey guys. Im sure this has been discussed before here many times, but I did some research on this game, because honestly I love the idea of a very deep military simulator that is above all realistic and very well thought out. But before I buy this, I would like to know about ground units. Are they available atm? From the threads I read, it seems to some very small degree, and Im sure many players would like to know about this as well.

I think this game could get alot more players if ground units are made in the same care as naval and air. It seems it needs this, and I think it would only make it even more great. If this is not planned in the nearest future, is there anyone working on a mod that could bring it to the war table?

Tell me about your ideas, and what that could mean for Command. This is just a thread that I think touches on something that would for sure make me buy this excellent game.

Best, Kris.
Post #: 1
RE: GROUND UNITS, when? - 11/18/2019 4:17:53 PM   
kevinkins

Over at warfare sims:

http://www.warfaresims.com/?p=4982

The whole shebang. Improved? Yep. Armored Brigade? Nope.

“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
― Alfred Thayer Mahan

(in reply to jeremia)
Post #: 2
RE: GROUND UNITS, when? - 11/18/2019 4:20:51 PM   
ultradave

Your best bet is probably to read here

http://www.warfaresims.com/?p=4982

Make sure to follow that first link and read that too.

I think this will give the best idea of how ground units are handled. There are MANY ground units in the game, from infantry platoons to radar installations. And the ground model has been enhanced over C:MANO (note that title is COMMAND: MODERAN AIR NAVAL OPERATIONS and the new one is COMMAND MODERN OPERATIONS, so that's a clue right there :-) )

That being said, it is not like having say, Flashpoint Campaigns, or Armored Brigade, as a subset of CMO.

Additionally, there are not many scenarios that have heavy use of ground troops, because of the lesser capabilities of C:MANO in that regard. I'm SURE that's something that will change and there will be community scenarios that have more use of land units as soon as people get their arms around the new game.

Hope that helps.

Dave

----------------
Dave A.
"When the Boogeyman goes to sleep he checks his closet for paratroopers"

(in reply to jeremia)
Post #: 3
RE: GROUND UNITS, when? - 11/18/2019 8:46:34 PM   
jeremia

ULTRAdave and kevinkins: thank you both for giving me a little to read. Well, it does improve my attitude towards the ground units. There is obviously a big improvement, although I would love to see it fullscale...and yes, the name Modern Operations says alot of whats coming to command.

Hmm, well, ultradev, if you think this will be a ongoing project to make it better, it brings me one step closer to a buy. I would love to know though what ace they have under the sleave for extremely realistic ground operations. I hope in my heart this will become reality.

For anyone reading it, the article above is really a good intro.

Thank you once again!

(in reply to ultradave)
Post #: 4
RE: GROUND UNITS, when? - 11/19/2019 9:57:29 AM   
thewood1

Frankly, if you're only into ground combat, I would wait and play another game until CMO is fleshed out even more. CMO is a great game, but ground combat is still not the main focus and isn't as detailed as you find in dedicated ground combat games. Just want to set expectations.

(in reply to jeremia)
Post #: 5
RE: GROUND UNITS, when? - 11/23/2019 12:50:45 PM   
jeremia

No, Im not only into ground units. There are plenty of games for those interested in that. I got to be honest, I come from playing b2 stealth fighter back in the day. Perhaps I´ll change the question.
If I wanted to add ground units, like special forces, modyfing their stats, creating new weapons for them through some kind of mod scripting engine, delivering all info to a database for players, and adding custom A.I behaviour that you can script?

For example. A special Operation starts in Antlantic. Under the cover of the night, 2 Seal teams are dropped in the water, using underwater vehicles. They come to this and that island. On this island, I script, lets say terrorist, and adjust all their stats according to real conditions. So new vehicles, special operations, with helicopters, air strikes, extraction, etc. New ground unit templates.

The name is Modern Operations right?

I have an idea Im developing and I want to see if this can be done as a mod, beside a regular scenario.

< Message edited by jeremia -- 11/23/2019 12:54:28 PM >

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 6
RE: GROUND UNITS, when? - 11/24/2019 4:06:39 PM   
kevinkins

If you are thinking about editing the CMO DB, you can't. That is closely guarded for several reasons e.g. we all play off the same DB version. Players can propose new items for the DB based on solid research, but what you describe above is in the hands of the developers. There is a lot you can do with the lua scripting engine, but you are sort of describing an whole new game. You can put together a scenario that mimics what you want. But like was said, CMO does not simulate ground ops to the level of detail that I believe you are looking for.

Kevin

“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
― Alfred Thayer Mahan

(in reply to jeremia)
Post #: 7
RE: GROUND UNITS, when? - 11/24/2019 9:32:04 PM   
jeremia

KEVINKINS: Thank you for your message. Let me say, Im no strategy game expert. Probably all of you here have more experience than me. With that said, I wondered how open is the game to modding at this point? I have all the answers now. Im sure the developers have many additional content done, that will add to the already great scenario builder. Good luck on your missions. ANd thanks, it really helped.

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 8
RE: GROUND UNITS, when? - 11/25/2019 1:54:40 PM   
kevinkins

jeremia ... if you have or planned to buy CMO, many here can help you make a scenario that mimics to some degree the sort of operation you described. Just let us know. We enjoy pushing the bounds of what is possible with the game engine.

Kevin

< Message edited by kevinkins -- 11/25/2019 1:55:58 PM >

― Alfred Thayer Mahan

(in reply to jeremia)
Post #: 9
RE: GROUND UNITS, when? - 12/20/2019 1:45:41 PM   
jeremia

Thank you. I havent bought it yet, I will wait until ground units are incoporated.

If it is possible, I could be interested in creating a scenario like that.

< Message edited by jeremia -- 12/20/2019 5:16:30 PM >

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 10
RE: GROUND UNITS, when? - 2/21/2020 1:56:20 AM   
dpabrams

I would like to see general armor values for ground units at some point. Currently you can kill just about any ground unit with other ground units if you can hit it.

Vote for Pedro

(in reply to jeremia)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> The War Room >> GROUND UNITS, when? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI