Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Is there a way to filter the map view by unit class/type?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Is there a way to filter the map view by unit class/type? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is there a way to filter the map view by unit class/type? - 3/21/2020 9:57:47 PM   
Texashawk

For example, if I wanted to only show air radars, or just airports, or just surface ships. This seems like it would be extremely handy (for example, when planning SEAD missions) but I can't seem to find a way to filter the view this way. Any help would be appreciated - I'm sure I'm missing something basic!

-Steve

Lifetime "You Magnificent Bastard!" callouts: 5
Lifetime slaps across the face by a female: 2
Lifetime games that hold my attention longer than a month: 3
Post #: 1
RE: Is there a way to filter the map view by unit class... - 3/22/2020 9:12:48 AM   
Parel803

I see the advantages for having more view-filter possibilities, especially with large number of different tracks.
with regards

(in reply to Texashawk)
Post #: 2
RE: Is there a way to filter the map view by unit class... - 3/22/2020 10:05:23 AM   
Rory Noonan

How would this work UI-wise? I am imagining a huge tickbox option screen and I don't know if that's a great thing to have.

(in reply to Parel803)
Post #: 3
RE: Is there a way to filter the map view by unit class... - 3/22/2020 11:26:23 AM   
Parel803

I'm not sur if there is already a filter function in the game. Might be a operator on my side. If there lots of contacts on the screen and I wanna do a single warfare it might be nice to view-filter out the other environment tracks. No big thing just nice for me.

(in reply to Rory Noonan)
Post #: 4
RE: Is there a way to filter the map view by unit class... - 3/22/2020 5:36:45 PM   
Texashawk

So I'm going to assume based on these answers that there is no map filtering currently.

What I would do (I'm a professional game designer and programmer) to make this functionality simple is this:

Add a new section on the unit tooltip with 5 options:
-Show only this unit type
-Show only this unit class
-Do not show this unit type
-Do not show this unit class
-Reset all filters

It's not perfect and obviously you can't have too many filters but I think most people would just use it for target and mission planning. It probably actually belongs on the wishlist but here it is. Thanks!

-Steve

< Message edited by Texashawk -- 3/22/2020 5:37:23 PM >

(in reply to Parel803)
Post #: 5
RE: Is there a way to filter the map view by unit class... - 3/22/2020 8:10:34 PM   
Rory Noonan

Great feedback, feature request added.

(in reply to Texashawk)
Post #: 6
RE: Is there a way to filter the map view by unit class... - 3/22/2020 11:52:55 PM   
marksdoran

quote:

ORIGINAL: apache85

How would this work UI-wise? I am imagining a huge tickbox option screen and I don't know if that's a great thing to have.

How about...

To the right of the "hide short cut bar" there's a big giant space...I can imagine moving the blue arrow to the right far enough to accommodate a set of buttons each of which has the icon for a type of unit on it...those could be highlighted or greyed out to reflect what's displayed. Or if that's too busy perhaps a single button there that brings up a pane with an array of buttons that you can pick and mix from. Bonus for making the symbol images follow the NTIDS preference selection.

Post #: 7
RE: Is there a way to filter the map view by unit class... - 3/23/2020 2:20:28 PM   
Texashawk

quote:

ORIGINAL: apache85

Great feedback, feature request added.

Awesome, thanks! I feel like a lot of people will use this feature, especially with more complex scenarios where the map fills up fast!

-Steve

Post #: 8
RE: Is there a way to filter the map view by unit class... - 3/24/2020 1:05:35 PM   
Parel803

Thank you, sounds nice.
with regards

(in reply to Texashawk)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Is there a way to filter the map view by unit class/type? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI