Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

missing Characters/numbers

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> missing Characters/numbers Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
missing Characters/numbers - 5/27/2020 10:44:17 AM   
LGKMAS

Not sure if this is a tech problem or a war room problem. I'll post it here to start with.
At irregular intervals, my screens lose a character or number. Thus Rabaul gets shown as abual. Ranges of 3075 become 30 5. And so on. It disappears once I log out and log in but it is annoying, and sometimes interferes with what I want to do as it tells me that 1 is out of range and I have to look at other screens to realise the relevant number is 3 so it is telling me a range of 13 of not available.
I noticed this in UV, as well.Has anyone else suffered this?

< Message edited by LGKMAS -- 5/27/2020 10:45:14 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: missing Characters/numbers - 5/27/2020 10:47:34 AM   
Yaab

What version is your game?

You can find the version number in the right upper corner of main menu screen, when you load WITP:AE.

(in reply to LGKMAS)
Post #: 2
RE: missing Characters/numbers - 5/27/2020 2:53:18 PM   
Kull

That's usually a "running out of RAM" indicator. Unfortunately when the executable was updated for AE, they didn't make it "Large Address Aware" which would allow it to access 4 GB of RAM instead of being locked at 2GB (which is a common "feature" of older software). Fortunately there are programs which add LAA to older software, and it's a very easy fix - my version of AE is LAA and I never have any graphics issues. One note of caution: If you are NOT using windowed-mode and instead tabbing in and out of games, that alone will very quickly make your game unstable - even the LAA fix won't help for long in that situation.

Anyway, here's the post from Rafid in a thread where we talked about the issue (including a link to a helpful LAA modding program):

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rafid

The Visual Studio "dumpbin.exe" tool says WITPAE is not large address aware (LAA) - tested beta v1.7.11.159, but I doubt it is different for any other version.

For an executable to be LAA two requirements need to be met:

1. A certain bit in the executable needs to be set to tell Windows that the executable is LAA. This can easily be set during compiling (by Michael) or actually edited by anyone afterwards (see e.g. https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/large-address-aware.112556/). This is the easy part.
2. The program and all third party libraries it accesses need to use full 32 bit pointers and not only 31 bit with assuming the first bit is 0 when accessing the memory (some programs temporarily use this bit to store other information). This is tough to ensure since it basically requires a full code review, but most late 32-bit era codes seem to adhere to this.

If you want, you can use the tool in the above link to set the LAA bit in the executable. This will get the same result Michael can get without putting in a crazy amount of work. According to forums, people have made good experiences with it (it definitely worked for me the two times I tried it). In the best case you have working LAA version of AE afterwards, in the worst case (if 2. is not ensured) you get game crashes and then even Michael won't be able to do it within a reasonable amount of work.

In any case making a program LAA has only advantages if the game used to crash after hitting 2GB of used memory (I've never seen this in AE) or if it used to slow down due to memory restrictions, but this would require a self-imposed sophisticated memory management - I highly doubt AE has. So you can set the LAA bit yourself, but I wouldn't expect much from it. You might try if the linked tool helps with your other game of course.

There shouldn't be any problems, but I'd advise you make a copy of the executable BEFORE running the program, just so you have an original backup.

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> missing Characters/numbers Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI