Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Replace stratagems with "organic" effects

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Suggestions and Feedback >> Replace stratagems with "organic" effects Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Replace stratagems with "organic" effects - 6/18/2020 1:16:50 AM   
76mm

I think that the game over-uses stratagems, when effects could better be handled "organically". For instance, I should be able to give any leader an "Order of Merit" at any time, but the more of them that I hand out, the less positive impact it will have.

Similarly, I should be able to hand out personal bonuses to any leader, as long as I have the money. Unlike the order of merit, the impact of these would not decrease if I give a bonus to every one--every one likes to get money--but rather their impact on particular leaders would decrease the more often I give them a bonus--once they are rich, they would be less motivated by more money.

Many similar examples could be found. While some of the stratagems work well, some are artificial and gamey.
Post #: 1
RE: Replace stratagems with "organic" effects - 6/18/2020 5:06:09 AM   
Malevolence

Good points, however, I tend to like the idea of Political Points nonetheless. I think limited effectiveness after each use is an excellent idea.

As a player we seem to have unlimited time and effort during the orders phase, but bureaucracy requires time and effort. Playing as the leader, we can only focus our administration and sway on so much. Political Points is a method to measure and define that focus and effort. I might argue roll-over of PP's each turn is OP.

I also suggested that stratagems should not pile up. You have the cards dealt only that turn. Anything not used is discarded.

I think it might surprise us how much the people we think are the most powerful in the world are led around by nose by their organizations. Leaders who chomp and pull at that bit more than others have administrations that seem or are chaotic.

In any event, I wouldn't take giving a medal as literal. Imagine the decision process and vetting for who the US President invites to the State of the Union Address, or pardons. It is the difficult political effort more than the physical effort.

quote:

ORIGINAL: John F. Kennedy

The day before my inauguration President Eisenhower told me, "You'll find that no easy problems ever come to the President of the United States. If they are easy to solve, somebody else has solved them."

< Message edited by Malevolence -- 6/18/2020 5:40:34 AM >

Nicht kleckern, sondern klotzen!

*Please remember all posts are made by a malevolent, autocratic despot whose rule is marked by unjust severity and arbitrary behavior. Your experiences may vary.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 2
RE: Replace stratagems with "organic" effects - 6/18/2020 6:32:02 AM   
ramnblam

Apart from some annoying things like the unit attachment cards, I really enjoy the stratagem system for the most part. It fits well into almost all areas of the game.

(in reply to Malevolence)
Post #: 3
RE: Replace stratagems with "organic" effects - 6/18/2020 6:52:44 AM   
Malevolence

By using the same system throughout the game, it becomes identifiable to players as they build experience.

Nicht kleckern, sondern klotzen!

*Please remember all posts are made by a malevolent, autocratic despot whose rule is marked by unjust severity and arbitrary behavior. Your experiences may vary.

(in reply to ramnblam)
Post #: 4
RE: Replace stratagems with "organic" effects - 6/18/2020 7:08:52 AM   
ramnblam

Yeah for sure, it's extremely satisfying being able to deal with problems proactively and reactivity using the stratagems, I've even started using some of the red cards for more sweet fate points :D

Post #: 5
RE: Replace stratagems with "organic" effects - 6/18/2020 12:56:23 PM   
76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Malevolence
Good points, however, I tend to like the idea of Political Points nonetheless. I think limited effectiveness after each use is an excellent idea.

I don't really care if they cost PP, the point is that my ability to issue an award should not be limited by whether I have the stratagem. It is a little piece of ribbon--I should be able to hand them out like candy if I want--but if I do so it would eventually make them worthless.

Also, I think that if you give an Order of Merit to a leader, you should lose relationship points with other leaders, especially those with whom you have a high relationship ("Why is that jerk getting a medal, when I am doing all the work?").

Post #: 6
RE: Replace stratagems with "organic" effects - 6/18/2020 1:36:37 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: ramnblam

Yeah for sure, it's extremely satisfying being able to deal with problems proactively and reactivity using the stratagems, I've even started using some of the red cards for more sweet fate points :D

Paranoia is very usefull vs Unrest.

And FYI, there is the Interior Councils "Mission Impossible" Strategem, that can actually generate a Fate point. Just hard and a really high PP cost.

(in reply to ramnblam)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Suggestions and Feedback >> Replace stratagems with "organic" effects Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI