Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

A new Properties or Mouse issue?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> A new Properties or Mouse issue? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A new Properties or Mouse issue? - 6/20/2020 6:19:30 PM   
ReadyR

Hello all. I have been playing AE for some time on my Windows 10 machine. I have had to play around with command switches to get it working the way I want it...but I have done it successfully. All good.

I want to have a portable option for playing while at the cottage. I have the game loaded on my Microsoft Surface 7. I have been playing around with the settings to get it set up. Currently using the following...

"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\Beta2\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -w -altFont -deepColor -dd_sw -cpu3

It all almost works perfectly. My issue is that while the mouse moves very smoothly, with my settings, it does so in two directions only...North (up) and West (left). Mouse movement South and East is very slow and when it does move, it is very jerky.

Now this isn't fatal to my gaming. I have the jump map to get somewhere South or East quickly...but I have to remember to do that.

Would any of the more technical types out there know whether there is a command that will solve this movement issue? I suppose it also might be a Microsoft mouse setting that is interfering...but I haven't been able to see a setting for the mouse that let me check that out.

Many thanks.

Post #: 1
RE: A new Properties or Mouse issue? - 6/20/2020 7:42:47 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: ReadyR

Hello all. I have been playing AE for some time on my Windows 10 machine. I have had to play around with command switches to get it working the way I want it...but I have done it successfully. All good.

I want to have a portable option for playing while at the cottage. I have the game loaded on my Microsoft Surface 7. I have been playing around with the settings to get it set up. Currently using the following...

"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\Beta2\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -w -altFont -deepColor -dd_sw -cpu3

It all almost works perfectly. My issue is that while the mouse moves very smoothly, with my settings, it does so in two directions only...North (up) and West (left). Mouse movement South and East is very slow and when it does move, it is very jerky.

Now this isn't fatal to my gaming. I have the jump map to get somewhere South or East quickly...but I have to remember to do that.

Would any of the more technical types out there know whether there is a command that will solve this movement issue? I suppose it also might be a Microsoft mouse setting that is interfering...but I haven't been able to see a setting for the mouse that let me check that out.

Many thanks.

Try changing the settings in the game's Preferences (second button from the left at the top of the screen) where you adjust the scroll speed. I use speed 1.
The other thing is to download the latest Win 10 mouse driver from the mouse manufacturer.

Does your laptop have lots of RAM and VRAM? The latter could affect how much map info it can handle at once.

EDIT: I also just noticed that you do not specify a resolution for the game in your switches. If the Laptop does not handle the game's native resolution, that could be a problem.

< Message edited by BBfanboy -- 6/20/2020 7:44:43 PM >

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to ReadyR)
Post #: 2
RE: A new Properties or Mouse issue? - 6/21/2020 4:56:56 PM   
ReadyR

Thanks. I'm putting this on a Microsoft Surface 7 with an Intel Quad Core i5 processor and 8 GB Ram and 4 GB Graphics Memory.

Changing the scroll speed had the effect of changing the scroll speed for the two directions that worked well.

I tried specifying the resolution in the command line, but everything I tried did not work vis a vis size, mouse movement etc.

Now the good news. I noticed that the default display for the Surface 7 is set to 200% and 2736x1824. I messed around and found that if the display is set for 100% I get an almost full screen display of the game, and normal mouse speed in all directions. So all I have to do is change the display when I want to start the game.

I went through my command switch settings to eliminate the ones that did not have any effect and am left with the following.

"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\Beta2\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -dd_sw -altFont -deepColor

Everything works like a charm now. Hope this also helps anybody who is trying to play on a Surface 7

Thanks again for your help.

RR

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 3
RE: A new Properties or Mouse issue? - 6/21/2020 10:50:20 PM   
geofflambert

Don't know why you wouldn't use -skipVideo and you need -archive if you want to use Tracker.

(in reply to ReadyR)
Post #: 4
RE: A new Properties or Mouse issue? - 6/22/2020 8:08:41 PM   
ReadyR

I just hit my space bar to miss the video. If I start using Tracker again I will certainly need -archive. I have been having problems with Tracker. I find by about mid 1942 it starts to crash, even when I dump some of the data as per the app instructions. I am not sure it likes all mods.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 5
RE: A new Properties or Mouse issue? - 7/16/2020 7:25:22 AM   
Ian R

You can force your window size to something other than standard - try using the switches -wd -pxf2736 -pyf1824 and see if you get normal mouse behavior (the wd means windowed, daily saves).

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to ReadyR)
Post #: 6
RE: A new Properties or Mouse issue? - 7/16/2020 1:51:07 PM   
ReadyR

Hello Ian. I have tried this. It certainly forces the screen to full screen and I get normal mouse movement. The issue is at display display 100% the map area in the screen is huge with result that hexes, units etc. are microscopic. Display bumped up to 200% (which is default for Surface) gives smaller map size and normal viewing size for units...but the mouse problem returns...only works in two directions.

I will stay with my earlier solution which is almost full screen with a mouse that works in all directions.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Rob

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 7
RE: A new Properties or Mouse issue? - 7/17/2020 8:15:12 AM   
Ian R

ReadyR,

I have a 1920 x 1080 screen, and wanted something that gave me a little space outside the window to work with. Basically my screen is a 16:9 ratio. You can reduce your pixel sizes so that you force a smaller window, so long as you maintain the same aspect ratio. So doing some maths:

1920 = 120 x 16

1080 = 120x 9.

I went to pxf1872 = 16 x 117 & pyf1053 = 9 x 117.

Looking at your max size, you do not have a 16:9 screen, it looks like a 3:2 aspect ratio with the multiplier being 912.

I therefore suggest you try reducing the multiplier in something like this fashion: 3 x 600: 2 x 600. Your switches would become:

-pxf1800 -pyf1200

In theory you should be able to play around with the multiplier and get the window size you find most suitable.

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to ReadyR)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> A new Properties or Mouse issue? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI