Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The typewriter font...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Suggestions and Feedback >> The typewriter font... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The typewriter font... - 7/27/2020 9:14:47 PM   
eddyvegas

...is just wrong, wrong, wrong. This is not a WWII game. It is a science fiction game, set in the far future, and deserves a font that evokes that feeling.

PS: I know that there is 0% chance of that happening. Just wanted to get that off my chest.

Post #: 1
RE: The typewriter font... - 7/28/2020 3:36:06 AM   
Malevolence

If it makes you feel any better, think of it as a post-apocalyptic game with a modern steampunk (mid-20th century) dieselpunk to atompunk motif.

That's my rationalization. I just appreciate that it's consistent with the overall interface and not garish.

Some game's try too hard and look hideous.

< Message edited by Malevolence -- 7/28/2020 6:34:12 PM >

Nicht kleckern, sondern klotzen!

*Please remember all posts are made by a malevolent, autocratic despot whose rule is marked by unjust severity and arbitrary behavior. Your experiences may vary.

(in reply to eddyvegas)
Post #: 2
RE: The typewriter font... - 7/28/2020 2:00:52 PM   
Hazard151

Steampunk aesthetic is 1850s-1910s. 1910-1940s is dieselpunk, 1950s-1980s is atompunk.

Note that the core theme of any 'punk' setting is that 'advancing technology does not equal advancing societal wellbeing', instead posing that advancing technology causes or worsens abuses of power.

(in reply to Malevolence)
Post #: 3
RE: The typewriter font... - 7/28/2020 5:54:32 PM   
lloydster4

Maybe. Nearly all early cyberpunk fiction was dystopian, but the -punk subgenres have become so diffuse that it's unrealistic to assign them a common theme.

(in reply to Hazard151)
Post #: 4
RE: The typewriter font... - 7/28/2020 6:32:37 PM   
Malevolence

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hazard151

Steampunk aesthetic is 1850s-1910s. 1910-1940s is dieselpunk, 1950s-1980s is atompunk.

Note that the core theme of any 'punk' setting is that 'advancing technology does not equal advancing societal wellbeing', instead posing that advancing technology causes or worsens abuses of power.

Corrected then maybe. Not my thing.

< Message edited by Malevolence -- 7/28/2020 6:40:06 PM >

Nicht kleckern, sondern klotzen!

*Please remember all posts are made by a malevolent, autocratic despot whose rule is marked by unjust severity and arbitrary behavior. Your experiences may vary.

(in reply to lloydster4)
Post #: 5
RE: The typewriter font... - 7/28/2020 7:06:28 PM   
Hazard151

quote:

ORIGINAL: lloydster4

Maybe. Nearly all early cyberpunk fiction was dystopian, but the -punk subgenres have become so diffuse that it's unrealistic to assign them a common theme.

It's at the root of the word 'punk'. It's very much a 'rage against (the evils of) society' movement, and without the dystopian theme or undercurrent a work isn't punk in nature, regardless of its other traits. Works can be set in similar settings without the dystopian background, but in that case it's from a different branch of speculative fiction to me.

A story where the cast goes through a lot of pain and hurt to try and eke out a living under the jackboot of an uncaring, abusive company that consumes and grinds up its employees (possibly literally) before spitting the mangled remains out as useless trash, with the cast barely managing to do more than maintain the status quo? That's a 'punk story. Especially if society doesn't care or considers that sort of business practice the ideal.

The same story where society or the government clearly ends up taking an interest in matters and ends up hammering the company and everybody involved for any reason at all with complete disregard of the collateral damage and by doing so making things worse? Also a 'punk story.

The same story where society or the government clearly ends up taking an interest in matters and then carefully dismantles the evil wrought while mending the injuries of the victims? Not a 'punk story, especially if the entire thing ends up affirming faith in government and/or society at large.

A key component of 'punk stories is that maybe you can trust the people around you, but you definitely can't trust large organizations regardless of their origin.

(in reply to lloydster4)
Post #: 6
RE: The typewriter font... - 7/28/2020 9:30:04 PM   
eddyvegas

quote:

ORIGINAL: Malevolence

If it makes you feel any better,

No, it doesn't. Can someone direct me to Vic's previous games, please? Matrix search function fails to even find SE when I do a search for games by VR Designs. I'm guessing the typewriter font is baked into his engine.

(edit) Never mind, I found them by going to his website. Nope, the typewriter font was a conscious choice. The other games' fonts actually look more appropriate.

< Message edited by eddyvegas -- 7/28/2020 9:59:12 PM >

(in reply to Malevolence)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Suggestions and Feedback >> The typewriter font... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI