Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

File upload size limits on the SC forums

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Site Feedback >> File upload size limits on the SC forums Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
File upload size limits on the SC forums - 8/19/2020 3:45:23 PM   
FOARP

Currently the maximum size of file you're allowed to upload on the Strategic Command WW1 AAR forums is 200Kb which is ridiculously small if you want to post pictures as part of your AAR. I end up cropping the picture and then downing the image quality until it is hard to pick out details just to get things uploaded.

For whatever reasons the SC:WIE AAR forums have a 5,000Kb limit which is way more than enough. The result is that people are taking to just posting their AARs for other SC games there, because, well, who wants to deal with that 200Kb limit if they don't have to?

Yeah, I know I could try hosting the pictures on a third-party site but I've been bitten a few times by that (most recently by Photobucket).

Please consider upping the size-limit on file-uploads for the SC:WW1 and SC:WAW forums. If you can do it for SC:WIE then you can do it for the other SC forums - not doing it doesn't save band-width if everyone then just posts their stuff at WIE.

Sorry to sound peeved about this but I just found out that the size-limit is 5,000Kb for the WIE forum so there is no real excuse for the 200Kb limit on the SC:WW1 forum, and all that effort to get pictures small enough to fit on the SC:WW1 forum was basically just pointless.

< Message edited by FOARP -- 8/19/2020 6:58:34 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: File upload size limits on the SC forums - 9/9/2020 3:59:11 PM   
FOARP

Many thanks to the Web admins and VPualus for helping out raising this limit.

American Front: a Work-in-progress CSA v USA Turtledove mod for SC:WW1 can be seen here.

(in reply to FOARP)
Post #: 2
RE: File upload size limits on the SC forums - 6/8/2021 12:59:50 PM   
BlueTemplar

Same issue here :
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4962781
Shadow Empire : Please increase the File Upload Size, number and fileendings
quote:

ORIGINAL: zgrssd

Apparently each game Subforum on this Forum has their own limits how many files and how large a file you are allowed to upload.

The Forums General Discussion allows 3 Files of 750 KiB
The Distant Worlds 2 Forum allows one size of 9999 KiB upload (that is >9,7 MiB).

If you make a ingame screenshot at 2560x1440 resolution, it is impossible to stay below the current 200 KiB limit. And trying to resize the file with paint seems to result in a worse compression (apparently paints JPEG encoder is bad).

The average savegame beats that target by an order of magnitude, nevermind the part where we can not upload them at all due to the extension.

(in reply to FOARP)
Post #: 3
RE: File upload size limits on the SC forums - 7/8/2021 6:11:25 PM   
zgrssd

It got even worse with SE since I posted that above.
We can not upload savegames, modfiles or even .CSV files exported by the modding tools.

When bug reporting, Vic actually has to hand out his email adress so we can send savegames to him.

(in reply to BlueTemplar)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Site Feedback >> File upload size limits on the SC forums Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI